Moving to the villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2023, 02:17 PM
Default Moving to the villages

Good day all...

Just a quick hello, I am closing on my villa in Sherwood Villas West on 6/7 and am excited to become a villager. Living in Ocala for the last 30 years has made me love the area and everything it has to offer. Hope to see you on the golf course. Anyone interested in playing drop me a line. Have a great holiday weekend!
Old 05-25-2023, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,610 Times in 946 Posts

Welcome - make sure you buy the special golf balls that don't slice.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Welcome - make sure you buy the special golf balls that don't slice.
Hahaha....I have a bunch. What the best way to meet golfers in the villages to get into a game or two on the weekends? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobo1800 View Post
Hahaha....I have a bunch. What the best way to meet golfers in the villages to get into a game or two on the weekends? Thanks for any info.
Start with your neighbors…………
Old 06-19-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Welcome to TV. Don't worry about meeting golfers. IF you are a good golfer, you will have no problems. If you're not, practice! And you don't want to choose your steady playing partners too quickly. Relax , take your time.
You are better off playing with guys that live within a mile of your home. Where in the world is Sherwood Villas West? It might help to describe where it's located. (I'm above 466 myself)
You didn't mention what type of course you want to play (Championship, Executive, or (aghast) Chip and Putt ), that matters.
Best thing to do is sign up for the online tee time system - $8 per month but well worth it. Ok, sign in and click on the "Reservations - View Open Tee Times." Select the course you want to play (ideally near your home). BTW the online system does all three types of courses.
You will see all the tee times available for that day/course. If a time is "full" it will have a 0 in the "Number Available" column. If it is empty, it will have a 4. Look for a time that has a 3. This means there's one person already playing. If no 3s are available, look for a 4, that again means that it's empty. I would not put myself with a 2 or a 1, unless that is all that's available. If you put yourself in an open time space (4), there's a very good chance someone will join you when it's time to tee off.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2023, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
Welcome to TV. Don't worry about meeting golfers. IF you are a good golfer, you will have no problems. If you're not, practice! And you don't want to choose your steady playing partners too quickly. Relax , take your time.
You are better off playing with guys that live within a mile of your home. Where in the world is Sherwood Villas West? It might help to describe where it's located. (I'm above 466 myself)
You didn't mention what type of course you want to play (Championship, Executive, or (aghast) Chip and Putt ), that matters.
Best thing to do is sign up for the online tee time system - $8 per month but well worth it. Ok, sign in and click on the "Reservations - View Open Tee Times." Select the course you want to play (ideally near your home). BTW the online system does all three types of courses.
You will see all the tee times available for that day/course. If a time is "full" it will have a 0 in the "Number Available" column. If it is empty, it will have a 4. Look for a time that has a 3. This means there's one person already playing. If no 3s are available, look for a 4, that again means that it's empty. I would not put myself with a 2 or a 1, unless that is all that's available. If you put yourself in an open time space (4), there's a very good chance someone will join you when it's time to tee off.

Good luck
^^^ What he said...

I did just that when I first moved in...

I took a chance hand hooked up with some random people... Once it was a couple, another time 3 ladies. We had a blast both times!

The best was when I slid in with 3 guys on one of the 27 hole Championsip courses (Glenview). When I arrived at the course, I found out they had cancelled, so I was solo. The person at the clubhouse offered to put me with a threesome on one of the other 9s. I agreed and headed over to join them.

As usual, when I introduced myself, the first question was "in what Village do you live". Turns out, we all lived in the same village, just down the street from each other. I had joined the Wednesday co-ed 18 hole neighborhood group that typically has 3-4 foursomes... They invited me to join them for lunch afterwards and now, whenever I'm down, I let them know and they add me to the group...

I got to meet some great neighbors and they also hooked me up with the neighborhood social club...

Just get out there. You'll meet some great people!

-Tom Petty
Old 06-20-2023, 06:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Good luck
Great advice!!!
Old 06-20-2023, 06:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
^^^ What he said...

I did just that when I first moved in...

I took a chance hand hooked up with some random people... Once it was a couple, another time 3 ladies. We had a blast both times!

The best was when I slid in with 3 guys on one of the 27 hole Championsip courses (Glenview). When I arrived at the course, I found out they had cancelled, so I was solo. The person at the clubhouse offered to put me with a threesome on one of the other 9s. I agreed and headed over to join them.

As usual, when I introduced myself, the first question was "in what Village do you live". Turns out, we all lived in the same village, just down the street from each other. I had joined the Wednesday co-ed 18 hole neighborhood group that typically has 3-4 foursomes... They invited me to join them for lunch afterwards and now, whenever I'm down, I let them know and they add me to the group...

I got to meet some great neighbors and they also hooked me up with the neighborhood social club...

Just get out there. You'll meet some great people!
Wonderful story!!!
Old 06-20-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Wonderful story!!!
Welcome to TV! What restaurants will you miss in Ocala or will you be driving to for a meal once in a while?
Old 08-03-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Good luck
Thanks so much for the great details. I will be taking your advice. 12 handicap !
Old 08-03-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
Welcome to TV! What restaurants will you miss in Ocala or will you be driving to for a meal once in a while?
Hey...Still working in Ocala so I will get the food anytime while I am there. Thanks
Old 08-03-2023, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hey...Still working in Ocala so I will get the food anytime while I am there. Thanks
Welcome! Great advice on using the tee system. You will meet plenty of nice and helpful people.
Can you list your favorite restaurants in Ocala? Asking because it is quite a drive from here and quite a disappointment when the food is not "that great". I love Yummy House Chinese and Ipanema Brazilian Grill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and Hope you enjoy living in the Villages!
Old 08-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Welcome! Great advice on using the tee system. You will meet plenty of nice and helpful people.
Can you list your favorite restaurants in Ocala? Asking because it is quite a drive from here and quite a disappointment when the food is not "that great". I love Yummy House Chinese and Ipanema Brazilian Grill. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and Hope you enjoy living in the Villages!
Yummy House - Mmmmm - I’ll drive up just to get take out (and get like several days worth of different entrees to re-heat). And don’t forget Dim Sum every weekend - Hands down best Chinese within 30-45 minutes of The Villages.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Ocala Restaurants I personally enjoy:
Piesanos
La Hacienda Mexican
Las Margaritas Mexican
Southern Pig and Cattle BBQ
Latino y mas
Tony Sushi
Closed Thread

Tags
area, love, offer, made, hope

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.