Need design advice- outlets and lighting

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Default Need design advice- outlets and lighting

We are getting ready for our design session and are working through the many pages of questions we have put together. We are going to build an Iris/Lilac in Ghilchrist and are looking for your opinions on:

1. Outlets- we are going through each room on the plans and thinking about electric outlet locations. But was wondering if after you moved in- were there any places where you wish you had an extra outlet?
2. Living Room floor outlet- did you find that the central outlet in the floor of the main living room was positioned appropriately for the furniture layout most people would expect?
3. Living room ceiling lighting- did you put any ceiling "can" or recessed lights in the main living space or just rely on lamps and perhaps lighting on the ceiling fan?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks alot- we are very excited to get this process started.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage

They have no clue where the dinning room light should be so spec that out,
other outlets can be added cheap now but they also need to follow the building code.

Plan where your tv's are going to be and have the outlet and cable connect placed there usually up high
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM

we are building a Begonia, so different ... however, we have had a ceiling fan in our dining area for the 2 homes we have had, here in GA for the last 16 years and we feel a godsend. so we took out the can lights in the nook and are having it wired for fan/light. Left the outlet in the lr although we tiled that whole area. I am sure we have not helped, but basically, where they can, they will. Our brick wall was I wanted a ceiling fan in the M bath but there was not required allowances.
Good luck with your choices. We are about five weeks from the close and until then we can only hope we did the right things ... but cannot wait to get there and see what we think will be awesome!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter View Post
we are building a Begonia, so different ... however, we have had a ceiling fan in our dining area for the 2 homes we have had, here in GA for the last 16 years and we feel a godsend. so we took out the can lights in the nook and are having it wired for fan/light. Left the outlet in the lr although we tiled that whole area. I am sure we have not helped, but basically, where they can, they will. Our brick wall was I wanted a ceiling fan in the M bath but there was not required allowances.
Good luck with your choices. We are about five weeks from the close and until then we can only hope we did the right things ... but cannot wait to get there and see what we think will be awesome!!!
That ceiling fan advice was something I did not think about. Thanks for the advice as my design appointment begin Thursday and we are arriving tomorrow to go through models with our agent.

Bruce and Marcy
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM

We added additional outlets in the garage - a couple were also counter height to allow for future work bench area. Also added a dedicated line for a future freezer or refrigerator in the garage.
Good luck with your design meeting!

BTW, we are building a Lantana
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM

Hello, we built an Iris last summer in Sanibel.. We also added the dedicated outlet in the garage for a future refrigerator. I don't believe we added any additional inside and found the one on the floor in the living room is fine. We have two lamps on either side of couch with no issues. We have a fan there but no light, I do not feel it is necessary, but can add at a later date if we desire. You will most likely want 3 solor tubes which will be after market. Thus far we put one in the kitchen which is wonderful and one in the master bath which we love. Could really use one in the guest bath, but that will come later.

In the lanai we did add an outlet up about 5 ft along with cable connection to mount the tv on the wall. We also added an additional plug on the middle lanai post to place end table and lamp on.

Should you have any additional questions on the Iris or Lilac, feel free to ask. Best wishes on your upcoming design.

Last edited by Lpierleo; 01-22-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Default Lpierleo (Rich and Linda) has a wealth of advice experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpierleo View Post
Hello, we built an Iris last summer in Sanibel.. We also added the dedicated outlet in the garage for a future refrigerator. I don't believe we added any additional inside and found the one on the floor in the living room is fine. We have two lamps on either side of couch with no issues. We have a fan there but no light, I do not feel it is necessary, but can add at a later date if we desire. You will most likely want 3 solor tubes which will be after market. Thus far we put one in the kitchen which is wonderful and one in the master bath which we love. Could really use one in the guest bath, but that will come later.

In the lanai we did add an outlet up about 5 ft along with cable connection to mount the tv on the wall. We also added an additional plug on the middle lanai post to place end table and lamp on.

Should you have any additional questions on the Iris or Lilac, feel free to ask. Best wishes on your upcoming design.
We can vouch that they have a wealth of information and experience to help you through the process which we have greatly taken into account for our design appointment this week. Thanks again Rich and Linda !!!

Marcy and Bruce Snell
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Gold member

We added more plugs where we will install our computers, printers, etc. Also need to think about how you will mount your televisions. Any additional freezer or refrigerator will require a dedicated circuit. Added outdoor plugs where we will use electrical power tools. Added more ceiling lights in areas with no outside light source (windows/doors) and also in task areas.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM

If installing fan/light make sure to have a seperate control for the light (switch/dimmer) and a controller for the fan it makes it alot easier than pulling on chains.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM

We addeded an outside light where we grill. Put it on a dimmer so we have bright light to cook and soft light to sit outside when we want.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM

We can vouch that they have a wealth of information and experience to help you through the process which we have greatly taken into account for our design appointment this week. Thanks again Rich and Linda !!!

Marcy and Bruce Snell

Thanks Marcy and Bruce for the wonderful compliment. Just things we have learned along the way and people sharing with us. Always happy to share our experiences. Hope to meet you soon. Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Sage
Default Outlets

I added outlets to the garage....

I also added outlets to each closet!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Default Ceiling Lights

We purchased a Bridgeport and added recessed high hat lights in the living room. Glad we did!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

We added a truck load of plugs, can lights, and cable outlets, but the most important ones were the ceiling fan and wall mounted flat screen connections in the master bath. We added a study behind the GC garage so it is full of special wiring.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would add a fan with a light outlet in most rooms. Thus if you want a light latter you have the wiring. I would put the can lights in. You do not have to turn them on but I think you will find that you will. Floor lamps will not do the trick
Think of vacuuming. Do you want to plug in at the floor level or the light switch level? I would have several outlets added at the light switch level.
Think about how you will park your car and where the plug is for your electric cart. You might want the plug on the other side of the garage.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.