In need of plumbing services? Buyer beware!

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2023, 06:08 AM

Never pay for an estimate. But that’s some incredible price hike from the other 2 estimates. Frank Gay is in lady lake I’m guessing they are trying to work their way to the villages.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

I know not every (or even most) villagers could do this, but, I used 3 -10 foot 1/2 inch PVC pipe and 8 elbows to do the same thing for about $100. I ran it over the garage door and out the front. Is it pretty? No, does it work? Yes.

What I'm saying is any competent handyman should be able to do the job, if the homeowner is not worried about looks. But, maybe a good handyman could make it look acceptable.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Silvia View Post
I recently sought estimates for a simple plumbing job - running a water line across a 30' garage to a new outdoor hose bib. I got the following three estimates:

1. Mike Scott Plumbing $350 (no estimate fee)
2. Anthony Torri Plumbing $325 (no estimate fee)
3. Frank Gay Services $2158 ($38 estimate fee)

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promised a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

My silence cannot be purchased for $38. I am a new homeowner in The Villages. The majority of service companies that I have dealt with have been upstanding and a pleasure to do business with, however, when I find a company that exploits and takes advantage of unsuspecting homeowners, I want to share my experience and help others avoid making a bad decision.
I have heard a Lot of bad things about Frank Gay Plumbing…. I would never even call them. Plumbers out of Leesburg seem to be more reasonable !
Old 04-26-2023, 06:32 AM

Frank Gay is a total rip… I had previously used Kiley and Sons and they were great… then they got bought out by Frank Gay. I guess their fees are to pay for all of their annoying radio ads.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Default Thanks You !

Thank you !! I am looking for a plumber for toilet install...
Old 04-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Send a message via AIM to lisahathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Is it possible that the first two estimates were for running a pipe on the surface along the base of the wall, while the Frank Gay estimate was for running a pipe under the slab, or else inside the wall and through the attic? That would be a lot more work, but I think building codes in some parts of the country might require it.
I was wondering the same thing. There must be an explanation for the massive difference in the quotes.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:47 AM

One reason is Frank Gay has at least 30 vans at their main office on 441. That’s a hefty overhead right off the bat.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:55 AM
Default Same here

Quote:
I recently sought estimates for a simple plumbing job - running a water line across a 30' garage to a new outdoor hose bib. I got the following three estimates:

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promised a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

My silence cannot be purchased for $38. I am a new homeowner in The Villages. The majority of service companies that I have dealt with have been upstanding and a pleasure to do business with, however, when I find a company that exploits and takes advantage of unsuspecting homeowners, I want to share my experience and help others avoid making a bad decision.
Mike Scott 129.00
Frank Gay 1,329.00
Old 04-26-2023, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Had the same issue with RoMac 50$ for a estimate for a broken window said Forget about it.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:02 AM

Thank you for exposing shysters. The solution is to spread the word to everyone and only support honest service providers with a proven record of performance.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:

That's funny, I had the same situation with the company that wired my home when it was built 11 years ago. They charged me a fee to do an estimate for some minor additional electrical work, then gave me a very high estimate. I went with Lenhart for 1/3 of the price and no fee. When they called back to schedule a job, I told them I wasn't going to go with them and thought the estimate fee was bush league and they were too high. In addition, I reminded them that they had a short in my wiring that took them forever to trace down during the warranty period. Do you know the owner Steve actually rang my bell one day and attempted to read me the riot act about my comments to his people and how he has high overhead and had I never made a mistake???? I told him to GET OUT! Such audacity and entitlement and thin skin.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFoot78 View Post
Had a whole house water filter installed by the company that was bought by Frank Gay, Kiley, I think it was, when it was time to replace the filter elements They would not sell me the two elements but would replace them for me for $239. I have done this job on my old home and RV numerous times. With a bit of research on the Internet, I found the replacement part numbers and ordered them. A couple of days later, the two sets arrived and one was installed. Thee cost for the parts.....$30.

Frank Gay should be called Frank James as in Frank and Jesse James. I would not recommend these people to anyone.
Same EXACT experience! As far as Frank Gay goes we used him twice that visit, the first time and the last time.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:15 AM
Sage

Frank Gay has had many negative reports on local social media. I have to wonder why his business is still seeming to flourish?! We go with Mike Scott and have had success with that choice.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisahathy View Post
I was wondering the same thing. There must be an explanation for the massive difference in the quotes.
I doubt it. You are overthinking it. I recently read a story about an electrician who charged a woman $5,000 to install a ceiling fan where there was already a ceiling outlet.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Another reason I do not solicit multiple estimates. We use Mike Scott. They have been fair and are prompt. Nothing in this world is "free". It is an added cost to do business.
We had the same experience with Mike Scott — all business and no nonsense, fair, prompt. We had a plumber and an apprentice; both were very good.
Closed Thread

Tags
estimate, plumbing, fee, $38, services

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.