Negotiating a price with TV on Spec Home

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2023, 04:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

The developer has created an incredible business.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
As we looked at 84, the lots are no where as large as previous Premier neighborhoods. But if one wants to build a house with all 10’ ceilings, and 8’ interior and exterior doors, it only offered in a premier model. One can build same floor plan in a designer, but those two options are no longer offered in a designer.
As someone else mentioned reading the tea leaves, it was pretty much guaranteed that either Premier homes would be back or they would life the limitation on true customization of designer homes. We thankfully were able to build and customize our designer home just a few months before they stopped. Lots of frustration that if one wanted "home A" there were only a few changes one could make. Maybe this is their test to see is the demand is really there or that they can continue with their limited customization options.

As exclusive as they try to make section 84, it looks like there are still "kissing lanais" with only a portion of the homesites as desirable. I'd be curious if the premier homes are again fully customizable or if its just a bigger home with limited customization options.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:13 AM
Sage

Seems that the ones questioning this are fairly new to the community. This is what was happening all along. I know folks who bought in the 90's here and had to decide the same day the house came up due to the interest in folks wanting to move here. NO negotiations could be done. This community isn't a town or city like we all moved here from. It's a planned community of a developer. It's a business with a plan. I see so many people coming and right away want to change things like where they're from. So many also plan or over-plan what house they want, the direction it sits etc. but don't do their homework on how FL or the county does things.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
As someone else mentioned reading the tea leaves, it was pretty much guaranteed that either Premier homes would be back or they would life the limitation on true customization of designer homes. We thankfully were able to build and customize our designer home just a few months before they stopped. Lots of frustration that if one wanted "home A" there were only a few changes one could make. Maybe this is their test to see is the demand is really there or that they can continue with their limited customization options.

As exclusive as they try to make section 84, it looks like there are still "kissing lanais" with only a portion of the homesites as desirable. I'd be curious if the premier homes are again fully customizable or if its just a bigger home with limited customization options.
You can go to Middleton. The larger, one-story homes are the exact model options for section 84. There are more model options, but they are the same as those built in prior villages. The premier homes in Middleton are easy to identify when driving through because they are larger than those surrounding. Stop in, chat with the realtors, get your own feel.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
I have noticed you can save quite a bit of money if you are one of the last to purchase a home in a new village. The developer has moved on to another area and drops the prices of the few homes that are remaining Of course, your selection is limited. These are the homes no one showed any interest in.
We were lucky enough to buy one of those homes that were reduced several years ago. We got more house than we were originally looking for and still love it.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth1980 View Post
I would think with nearly 300 new builds currently on the market and more being added every few days they would deal on price.
You would be thinking wrong. Give it a shot and post your findings.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBChris View Post
You would be thinking wrong. Give it a shot and post your findings.
The post right above yours supplies an answer. Homeowner bought last in a Village for quite a discount and is extremely happy in the home.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:41 AM

When we purchased here five years ago, we also thought of making an offer, but that was just it--a thought. Whether new build or existing home, the price was the price. In other markets we've been in (Mississippi, Indiana, Washington DC) the builder's price was the price and you could try a negotiation on an existing home, but would not succeed in a "seller's" market. The main reason (I think) that the TV builders will lower the price on homes that have not sold is because they don't want to continue to pay the carrying costs beyond a certain date. Those "left over" homes may be perfectly fine, just like the left over inventory in clothing sales may be perfectly fine. Limited choices for sure, but ok if you find a home that suits you and also comes at a savings. As to figuring out where development will go.....did someone say crystal ball?
Old 09-08-2023, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
The post right above yours supplies an answer. Homeowner bought last in a Village for quite a discount and is extremely happy in the home.
OK it happened but we all know it is not a very common occurrence.

When it did happen others picked the most desirable lots and locations.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:49 AM

They don't negotiate! if inventory/Spec homes aren't selling they lower the price. If demand is high, they are going to lower prices on spec houses. I built in late 2008 and the economy and demand were down, so they discounted even new construction.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:52 AM

Nope! But that was actually one of the things we ended up liking about the process - the price is the price. We were considering building in Lakewood Ranch and that developer was having sealed bid auctions to buy the lots on a single release day with only a minimum bid made available. I thought that was absolutely insane! Just tell me how much you want for the lot!
Old 09-08-2023, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
OK it happened but we all know it is not a very common occurrence.

When it did happen others picked the most desirable lots and locations.
If one poster tells you she noticed you can save money by being the last to purchase in a Village, and another tells you she did just that, and yet another states she bought at discount when the demand was low, how do you rationalize that it is not a common occurrence? If someone asks me if I know how to get a discount on a new home, I will give them that advice. I wouldn't just say, nope! never happens! Only once in a Blue Moon! And who is to say what is more desirable than others? Maybe it was something simple like the outside paint color.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
You missed the point. They don't negotiate if you try. They will lower the price at their discretion if they want to "move" the house. That homeowner who is happy bought a house that was already discounted. They did not negotiate the discount.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBChris View Post
You missed the point. They don't negotiate if you try. They will lower the price at their discretion if they want to "move" the house. That homeowner who is happy bought a house that was already discounted. They did not negotiate the discount.
I reread the original post. It asks about negotiating then a few vague questions follow. At this point, it is up to the OP to decide what information they will or will not use. As for me, I did learn some valuable information. I might even use it if I wish to purchase an investment home.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Not quite what I meant. A realtor doesn't tell you what is coming down the pipeline. Look at Dabney. Is section 84 really going to be worth investing in? Or, does the Developer have another premier area planned in the area of Eastport? Or, does he plan on building premier homes in several locations? He has already built some in Middleton. And, who is to say, in the end, which will be better?
Unit 84 is great if you want a $70,000 plus bond on top of the other costs.
Closed Thread

Tags
price, spec, negotiating, buying, negotiate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.