Never been to the villages Is it a great place to be

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

IF you are thinking of monthly fees to be in The Villages, think $150. Other fees are for services that could be considered taxes or utilities. Water, sewer, trash, etc. and these are reasonable.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 AM

I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about but really, the Town Squares, how often do ppl go?? Well yes, if you have company, other than that, aren't they really like a big retail tourist trap with overpriced shops and restaurants.

Really, what am I missing about TV??
Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanpaula View Post
I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about but really, the Town Squares, how often do ppl go?? Well yes, if you have company, other than that, aren't they really like a big retail tourist trap with overpriced shops and restaurants.

Overpriced shops and restaurants? You serious?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:

Really ?? You must be missing a lot !
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Gold member

taxes, insurance, bond payments and maintance fees, with mortgage payments can be ammoritized monthly.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

It seems almost everything.

We are from Maryland and had expressed the opinion( after probably 25 or more visits) that we would never move to Florida. In 2009 we just happened to drive through the Villages on a whim. Wow!!

We realized that we needed to rethink our plans for retirement and shortly became snowbirds. After a year we were convinced that we should bite the bullet and become Frogs. Friends could not conceive that the things we told them about TV could be true. When our former friends and neighbors began visiting, for the most part, they realized that we and 100,000 others were not exagerating and had in fact made a great decision for our(active) retirement.

TV can not be adequately described in words(they won't believe you)
It must be experienced to be believed.

Allof that from a major league skeptic(moi)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:

I see this is your first post, but I'm gonna bite anyway for the sake of the OP. What are you missing? How about the use of multiple pools, rec centers, golf courses, and 60+ pages of activities that are listed every week, which are all paid for by the less than $150.00 per month amenity fee. I'd say that's a bargain not to be matched anywhere!! And overpriced shops and restaurants? Haven't seen that in The Villages. In checking prices in the few shops that are more high end, they are very comparable to elsewhere.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
It seems almost everything.

We are from Maryland and had expressed the opinion( after probably 25 or more visits) that we would never move to Florida. In 2009 we just happened to drive through the Villages on a whim. Wow!!

We realized that we needed to rethink our plans for retirement and shortly became snowbirds. After a year we were convinced that we should bite the bullet and become Frogs. Friends could not conceive that the things we told them about TV could be true. When our former friends and neighbors began visiting, for the most part, they realized that we and 100,000 others were not exagerating and had in fact made a great decision for our(active) retirement.

TV can not be adequately described in words(they won't believe you)
It must be experienced to be believed.

Allof that from a major league skeptic(moi)
Challenger - My story pretty much mirrors yours. 10+ years ago my husband asked me if we would end up moving to Florida when we retired, and my immediate response was why would we do that! I didn't even really like Florida that much - you know, the heat, the bugs, etc. Then we made a stop in TV to visit his cousins on our way home from visiting my aunt and uncle in southern Florida and I was hooked! Moving to TV is so much more than moving to Florida. As you said, it can't be described, it must be experienced! We are still snow flakes working up to frog status, but very happy that we purchased in TV.

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your stay in March. Take the trolley tour, spend some time with a sales rep to ask all of your questions, check out all 3 town squares, but most importantly take the time to talk to the people who live there to give you a real feel for what it's like. You will find that easy to do because most villagers love to talk about their new hometown!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

As another poster mentioned, the homes in the county of Lady Lake have no bonds. Also there are pre-owned homes where the bond has already been paid off. The Villages is a great place & will keep you young. Make sure you get out to enjoy all that is offered. We love going to the Squares about once every week or 10 days. Too busy to go all the time, but enjoy people watching and the many dining experiences. We also enjoy the special events in the Squares, such as the car shows. You will love it!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Default Greatest Show on Earth !

Follow all the advice on this blog. Talk to the people here and ask them all the questions you want. You will find it very affordable . And as one poster stated this is not Florida as we all thought. There is just so much to do you will love it and any friends or family that come visit will as well.

I played golf with a guy that set out many years ago to find the best retirement place in the country. He was a little anal and did not want to make a mistake. After visiting places all across the country he said TV was by far #1 and # 2 did not come close. He and his wife are here having the time of their life.

My wife and I are privileged to live here as well as all my other new found friends at the wonderful playground.

After your visit please report back to let us know your thoughts.

Take Care and have a safe trip.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 01-25-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa kay View Post
Planning on coming down in march to check out the place sounds nice.I was looking on the monthly fees showed $147.00 month then $97.00 to $448.00.Does that depend on area of the villages or the price of the home?
Lots of add on and home prices higher than most places in Fl. You are leaving out the bond price and range from 23K-0.

More activities than anywhere else I have checked. Depends on what you are looking for and how active you are. Will be more expensive than most.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Sage

//////
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
Lots of add on and home prices higher than most places in Fl. You are leaving out the bond price and range from 23K-0.

More activities than anywhere else I have checked. Depends on what you are looking for and how active you are. Will be more expensive than most.
The homes are high when compared to neighboring communities but they lack the amenities that TV has. You are paying a higher price for your house to get the lifestyle which is WONDERFUL. You can live like a millionaire on a modest retirement.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 PM

Moved here 7 yrs ago..happiest 7 years of my life...I'm black and blue from pinching myself to see if I'm dreaming
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
This should help you. Go to the "Nuts and bolts of The Villages" section of this forum - at the bottom. Read the three messages titled "Moving to the Villages - Part 1, 2 & 3" Lots of useful information about TV.
Thanks for the pointer!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.