New Hawkins resident questions

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Default New Hawkins resident questions

Hi, I am closing on a new patio villa in the Hawkins neighborhood at the end of the month. I plan on living there for 4 months in the winter and a couple of weeks scattered throughout the year. I had a few questions that I could use help with. What is the best way to find someone to maintain my lawn and pest care? I also wonder how to purchase seasonal internet service and which companies are available in Hawkins? Any other general thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. My wife and I are in our early fifties and are excited about purchasing in The Villages. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:09 AM
Default Rely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav67 View Post
Hi, I am closing on a new patio villa in the Hawkins neighborhood at the end of the month. I plan on living there for 4 months in the winter and a couple of weeks scattered throughout the year. I had a few questions that I could use help with. What is the best way to find someone to maintain my lawn and pest care? I also wonder how to purchase seasonal internet service and which companies are available in Hawkins? Any other general thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. My wife and I are in our early fifties and are excited about purchasing in The Villages. Thanks!
It doesn't appear you received many suggestions, but I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what you wound up doing. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,948 Times in 3,731 Posts

Lawn & Pest..................ask your neighbors and pick lawns you like.

Spectrum has seasonal plans.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:24 AM
DAIII
Smile

I am in the same boat and a new englander- I chose MASSEY for they do it all.

weeding, shrub trim, lawn greenup, pests, cutting weekly. and reliable.

With that said.. not the cheapest. (but I'm not worried about them not showing up or going out of business)

Internet: Not sure about seasonal- you could use your cell phone for internet hot spot when you get here.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIII View Post
I am in the same boat and a new englander- I chose MASSEY for they do it all.

weeding, shrub trim, lawn greenup, pests, cutting weekly. and reliable.

With that said.. not the cheapest. (but I'm not worried about them not showing up or going out of business)

Internet: Not sure about seasonal- you could use your cell phone for internet hot spot when you get here.
We had the same worry about lawn care or home watch not showing up. Solved it by installing ring motion detector lights that have cameras and ring doorbell. We get notified every time someone arrives and can "live view" to see condition of lawn. It's very handy when you're 800 miles away.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:05 AM
DAIII

And a camera is a wonderful thing.. however if the lawn guy stops showing up - the camera will only show an overgrown lawn. 800 miles or 800 feet - you need a reliable source. (unless you have a lawn mower)

*My first guy (got the recommendation from my RE professional) was super cheap but not reliable. After calling and saying hello I think you forgot me.. I went with the reliable source.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,366 Times in 745 Posts

The concerns about home watch not showing are very valid.

We had a rental and used a highly recommend home watch. As a rental we didn't have any manner of a camera but did have a smart lock.

Home watch didn't show for three months but they were sending photos of the lawn as if they were actually entering the home.

To do this smart surveillance we did need the internet on 24/7.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

We recently joined the Hawkins and are in a similar situation. A lot of people hire a home-watch service.

We are using Peace Home Watch
Linda, (352) 396-3126
Howard, (502) 552-5618

Their prices are very reasonable. Also they will contract for mowing, landscaping, pest control, or whatever else you need - so you just pay one bill. They call multiple people and get the best price. They will also handle minor issues on their own.

In the Hawkins, there are lots of people leaving flyers. One company is a full-service company (lawn, pest control, etc.). They provided a couple of pages of addresses as references. Their info was: Good Neighbor Service, 352-622-1778.

We have also installed cameras, ring doorbell, water sensor in case of irrigation leak, concrete donuts to help prevent sprinkler head damage from mowers, etc.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Closed Thread

Tags
hawkins, questions, early, companies, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.