New Villager (almost anyway)

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2021, 09:41 PM
Default New Villager (almost anyway)

So we did this kind of unconventionally, We first visited the Villages in December, found a house in a location we liked (Winifred Village), and am currently under contract. I'm fortunate to have worked in a profession that allowed me to retire early (I'm 52 and my wife is 55). We originally looking at Latitude Margaritaville and a couple other communities but absolutely fell in love with The Villages. I'm sure it's not all rainbows and unicorns here but everyone we came into contact with seemed really happy and had a zest for life.Looking forward to meeting some of you and I'm always looking for a fishing partner .
Old 01-25-2021, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Winifred is a great central location. I live about 3 miles south and when I go to Glenview CC to play golf, there is a golf cart short cut right through Winifred. Everytime I drive through that Village, it seems so Ozzie & Harriet like.

I've always owned a new home, I guess 7 or 8 to be exact, my current home was new in 2011. If I moved to TV now, it would be my first resale, it's so much better here in the established Villages with the golf courses, conveniences of shopping, the ball fields. You're pretty young, I played softball for my first five years here but then quit about five years ago when I couldn't run that good anymore. You're at a good age to enjoy all the activities. The Best is yet to Come.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Very Good Choice

You have made a real good choice with Winifred! The most important thing when moving to The Village's is location, location, location and you picked a very good one. We have been here around 13 years and live in a village very near by. We spent the better part of 3 years looking for the right location and settled on a village almost next Winifred. We constantly agree what a great choice we made and you just made one that is one of the best locations and a wonderful village. We have a relative that lives there and has been there around 9 years and agrees with it is one of the best locations in The Villages. Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Congrats. Welcome to TV.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:20 PM

I disagree I like newer homes, stores, landscaping. We over the turnpike will have the newer stores and we are now considered the “middle” of The Villages and prime location. We have all new and better landscaping then the older areas. They keep improving on stuff and nicer tunnels for our gold carts.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgizzi View Post
...we are now considered the “middle” of The Villages and prime location...
At 9:21 tonight, it will be the 21st minute of the 21st hour of the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century. No, it's not, but I made you look.

Now look at map of all The Villages old and new. Look for #40, that's Winifred, now look down near the bottom for your village and go ahead and tell us all again how central you are. Actually my Village of Tamarind Grove is more central than both. We are 14 miles from Fenney and 11 miles from Calumet Grove. The most central Villages would be Hemingway or Duval, numbers 57 and 58.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-27-2021, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Welcome to TV! I'm also in my 50s and it's really funny to be called the 'young one' around here.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 AM

Nice reference map!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:21 AM

well said. Established community is always better. Everything is close by and operational. Church, stores, etc. But if you insist on a brand new home you have no choice but to go south end of TV.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:40 AM

Good map. Tks
Old 01-27-2021, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

We always considered 'central' to be less important than 'location, location, location.' For our needs, 'central' in a development as big as TV would in a sense put us, well, central—but central in relation to what of our needs? More important to us was picking a location that provided the amenities that are important to us relatively nearby, rather than 'near everything.'

Our area is known as the 'Lynnhaven Corridor' which consists of five villages (Ashland, Belvedere, Bonnybrook, Lynnhaven, and Tall Trees (and BTW Winifred is directly across the traffic circle on Buena Vista from the Lynnhaven Corridor). Close by to library, supermarkets, department stores, restaurants, service businesses, extensive medical offices by Laurel Manor, two family pools plus the sports pool at Laurel Manor plus the neighborhood pools, roughly midway between Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter Landing (a bit closer to the latter), access to US-301 that goes north to Ocala via the main commercial road (CR-466) and by the 'back road' (CR-472 Rainey Trail) or south to the Turnpike or a little west to the Interstate.

Again personal taste, but we never wanted new construction, preferring instead a home and neighborhood that were more established. Of course, it's also a matter of finding one in which we did not have to undo someone else's taste in order to create our vision—and fortunately we did. Whatever else is going on 'out there,' all is well in our little universe 'in here.'

And property taxes?! Holy cow.... About a quarter of what we paid up north on a comparably sized home, even with the 'big' tax increase of 8% that we had after years of no increases to speak of. No more spending thousands on heating bills! Our home was about seven years old when we bought it—and we promptly paid off the bond balance (a tad over $5,000).

And you guys in your 50s ... all I can say is 'wow!' I own clothing older than you!... Well, just kidding about clothing, but we do have children your age and older! All things considered, it's a pretty good life in which one can get as involved—or not—or not at all— as one wishes. And one of the biggest pluses to us from the Northeast is 'lifetime free snow shoveling and plowing.' We don't miss it in the least! All the best to you newcomers!!!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Welcome to Winifred. Great location!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:37 AM

You may want to look into the group South of the Sixties club. It is a younger group that gets together for activities. I’m 54. Welcome
Old 01-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Default Map not completely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
At 9:21 tonight, it will be the 21st minute of the 21st hour of the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century. No, it's not, but I made you look.

Now look at map of all The Villages old and new. Look for #40, that's Winifred, now look down near the bottom for your village and go ahead and tell us all again how central you are. Actually my Village of Tamarind Grove is more central than both. We are 14 miles from Fenney and 11 miles from Calumet Grove. The most central Villages would be Hemingway or Duval, numbers 57 and 58.

The Villages Florida
Don't know the source of the map, but Chitty Chatty and St Catherine's are reversed.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:01 AM

Jail bait.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, love, fell, unicorns, absolutely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.