New Villager + Moving Company Issues

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2022, 06:58 AM

Called my attorney and was told would cost more to sue than what things were worth. Wrote it off as bad experience.[/QUOTE]

Check out small claims court……
Old 11-23-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE2VillageLife View Post
RE: New Villager + Moving Company Issues

Hello, We are new to the Villages. We are very excited to finally be here, but ran into serious issues that we need some advice on.

Issue: Our trucking moving company really screwed-up, and "F" us.

For instance:

1.They delayed our furniture delivery several weeks from the original posted delivery date
(we were left stressed, sitting in an empty house and had to buy some basic items.)
2.Held our furniture "for ransom" until we paid the final balance, "before" final delivery
(a short story we will post later)
3.Delivered pretty much all of our big furniture damaged, countless dishware and items broken,
4. Two TVs were badly water logged/damaged (other items soaked, wet)
5. Stolen / "missing" - 2 other TVs, various electronics, household items.

Since then:
We are were very stressed, but now at an anger stage.
We setup what we had delivered, or what we could.
We contacted local police to start a police report to be on record.

More:
We have done some digging even deeper, and found this is common practice to Villagers. And, this trucking company changed "sub-contractors" many times before our items were delivered.

Question: Does anyone know of, or recommend, a good attorney or law firm?
We want to sue these guys for the stolen/missing & damaged items.

Thank you,
TheNewbies
This is Florida. You can find an attorney on every corner. Good luck and sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope things get better for you. When we moved here, we used a local to area we came from moving company. Everything went great. You have to be careful with these larger moving companies
Old 11-23-2022, 07:45 AM

We moved from Michigan almost 3 years ago, and loaded what we were bringing with us into two of the biggest PODS you can get. Loaded them ourselves, locked them ourselves. They were stored, and delivered on time. We paid Village Movers to unload them from our driveway and assemble things in our house. A very smooth and problem free trip.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Hello, We are new to the Villages. We are very excited to finally be here, but ran into serious issues that we need some advice on.

For instance:

1.They delayed our furniture delivery several weeks from the original posted delivery date
(we were left stressed, sitting in an empty house and had to buy some basic items.)
2.Held our furniture "for ransom" until we paid the final balance, "before" final delivery
3.Delivered pretty much all of our big furniture damaged, countless dishware and items broken,

Since then:

More:
We have done some digging even deeper, and found this is common practice to Villagers. And, this trucking company changed "sub-contractors" many times before our items were delivered.

Thank you,
TheNewbies
We used the Villages Relocation Service and chose one of the moving companies they recommended and was very pleased. Everything went as planned with no issues whatsoever.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:04 AM
Location: Wyoming born, Texan by choice, Motorcoach wander and now Glenbrook village

Quote:

For instance:

Since then:

More:

Thank you,
TheNewbies

It's not just in the Villages that this happens. This is what happens when you hire a company that uses a broker and move cross country sadly. Good deals in moving can be a horrible idea.

Best moving companies, do lots of research and always best to have the same people that load your furniture, unload your furniture.

We used Two Men and a Truck. Not cheap but they are a solid company and stand behind their product. They sadly did damage some of our items and every single one was repaired to new condition. Looks beautiful, now they are not happy about it but they stand behind the product
Old 11-23-2022, 08:21 AM

We used a moving company years ago. A bigger company paid for insurance turned out that we didn’t get all her items. Several items were damage. No insurance policy was bought even though we were charged and paid for one. Unfortunately, we just wrote it off. But moving companies suck and they hire usually fly by night people who just throw **** in the truck not all but most are not that great. And they all hold your items hostage for a final payment and it must be in cash. They won’t even take a check from you or a credit card at the end.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Always hire a good company and get insurance. Delivery time in writing.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Question - did you find these movers on your own, or were they recommended through an official Villages relocation agent? Reason I’m asking is that I will be moving in a few weeks to TV and am working with a Villages relocation agent to hire a mover.
When I moved here three years ago, I used The Villages Relocation Service. There have three moving companies come to your home and provide the cost for moving. You select one of the movers. I had the movers pack the dishes and glassware. The service was excellent -- all furniture was wrapped, all dishes were well packed. Everything arrived on schedule -- no damage to any of the furniture and not one item was broken. Highly recommend.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
We used a moving company years ago. A bigger company paid for insurance turned out that we didn’t get all her items. Several items were damage. No insurance policy was bought even though we were charged and paid for one. Unfortunately, we just wrote it off. But moving companies suck and they hire usually fly by night people who just throw **** in the truck not all but most are not that great. And they all hold your items hostage for a final payment and it must be in cash. They won’t even take a check from you or a credit card at the end.
When we moved, I hired muscle on both ends to pack / load / unload the rental truck.
>> I drove the truck <<
Didn't have any trouble getting there on time. Nothing was missing / wet / damaged. As a bonus, saved many thousand$

For those who haven't moved yet, if you're able to do so, this worked great and was relatively stress free. For those who must hire out the whole job, get references and check reviews. Two men and a truck indeed do good work. I've used them locally but didn't know they would handle and interstate move.

Using a POD (or several) is also an option but you still don't control the timing of delivery. But, they are sealed and you do control the packing / security of the unit (again, except for where it is at any given moment).

My 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:09 AM

Folks, you really don't need to click on the "Quote message in reply" box unless you're replying to a secondary reply.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:

For instance:

Since then:

More:

Thank you,
TheNewbies
Sounds like you got the moving company from hell. I moved here from NJ and they loaded the truck in front of my house and the same truck delivered all my stuff here in Florida. Also, I had moving insurance that if something worth value was damaged then it would have been covered.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You’re doing the right thing by getting a lawyer but you better have a lot of proof what you said is what really happened & not word of mouth. I’m on your side, just make sure you have text messages or letters from them saying what you said. Yes definitely get a good lawyer!
Old 11-23-2022, 11:55 AM
Location: Currently Michigan soon to be living in The village of St John’s
Default The Villages Relocation Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikki View Post
We used the relocation services. Best help I ever had. They made my move easy and pleasant. I recommend them.
If you don’t mind my asking how much did their service run ?
Old 11-23-2022, 12:47 PM

I, too, had issues with my mover. I moved from Silicon Valley, CA in 2017. My issues were not with broken items, ( I had none) but with the pricing. The final price exceeded the firm quote by approximately 5K. I will not go into details on this forum, but I am merely posting this note to say that all is not "butterflies and unicorns" when making a major move like I did.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:

For instance:

Since then:

More:

Thank you,
TheNewbies
You really need to do your homework when it comes to Moving Companies. Unfortunately you came across a very bad one. Once when I let the Government pick my company for me they subcontracted and it was a disaster. However, the Government not the moving company picked up the cost of some of the damage but not all. I would not say it is widespread but it is a lesson for anyone moving. Get References, get references and get more references. I had a very good company but still big pieces get chipped and believe me they were wrapped well. Now compound this with nobody wanting to work. I am sure they are getting the lowest of the low to do this type of work. My girlfriend had her furniture held for ransom too. I do not believe she was compensated. Be happy to be here and write it off as a learning lesson. If you move again locally use the Village Movers they have a very good reputation and I am sorry this happened to you. I know firsthand how maddening this can be. It would benefit others to name the company and the person responsible.
Closed Thread

Tags
items, company, furniture, delivery, issues

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.