New Villager Wannabe

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Smile New Villager Wannabe

I am so excited for my first trip to The Villages to spend 10 days in August! I want to retire to an active lifestyle community. To help me decide on Florida, I want to see if I can handle Florida's hottest weather. Coming from upstate NY, the Florida weather will be quite a change.

I am single and still in my 50's. I want to make the most of my 10 short days doing all I can to learn if The Villages is the place for me.

What should I make sure that I do while I am here? Where are the places that I should absolutely see? What folks should I talk with to get a true perspective?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I hope to make some good friends here!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Florida in August is hot, so be prepared, and LOTS of sunscreen. I am sure others will provide lots of things to do, but I will start.
1. Entertainment on the squares.
2. Visit several recreation centers and pools.
3. Get a map, drive around the villages area. Existing area is around 40 square miles, with the new additions, probably closer to 50.
4. There are lots of clubs and organizations, you should be able to get a listing at the rec centers.
5. A sales agent will be glad to help you if you are looking for a NEW home, MLS real-estate agents for resale's.
This is a start.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

We spent quite a bit of time at area restaurants in their outside seating, just talking to people. I would even flag down people walking past! I always ask people, "Would you tell me your Villages story? What made you decide this was the place for you, and how did you decide what village to live in?" I struck up conversations with people at the Rec Centers, in the Squares, in the grocery stores. The #1 thing we liked about The Villages was all the people out and about. Everyone seems to be moving! I couldn't find anyone just waiting to die. Everyone was grabbing life with gusto! Good luck to you, and enjoy your visit!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Gold member

Check with weatherman too. Daily forecast can help you plan day's activities
Old 07-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Gold member

Read some posts about doctors, dentists and hospitals.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Make one of the first things you do is to take a trolley ride. Your sales rep can set you up with this. It will give you a feel for the general layout of TV, available houses, etc. hopefully, your rental comes with a golf cart. Get some advice on how to drive safely on the streets and have fun! Don't worry about getting lost, someone will stop and help you. Don't let the heat and humidity discourage you. Given time, you will acclimate, at least enough to survive the really miserable days. Most of us just make sure to do indoor activities during the heat of the day. Outdoor stuff is for the mornings and evenings (and the weird ones who never think it is hot).

Hope you enjoy your visit. TV can be pretty addictive, even in the worst weather.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

We spent the entire month of August one year in TV before buying there. Maybe we just got lucky and it was a "milder" summer that year, but we found it pretty comfortable compared to the stifling humidity in the mid-Atlantic region during the summer months.

One thing I would add to villagetinker's list is to take the trolley tour which departs daily from the sales center in Lake Sumter. Someone will correct me if that has changed. Although it doesn't cover ALL of TV, it gives you a flavor of the area and the trolley drivers can be very informative.

As far as who to talk to to get a perspective of the place - whenever we visited, we always stayed in a different village. I found it very helpful to take a morning or evening walk around the neighborhood. If you are friendly, it usually only takes a smile and a wave before someone engages you in conversation. Or just ask anyone around if you have a particular question you want answered. We found most people more than willing to share their experiences about moving to and living in TV. Since you mentioned that you are single, there seems to be a least a couple of active singles groups that announce events on this forum. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you hear from one of them on this thread. Best wishes to you, afranz - I hope you fall in love with the place like many of us have.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

we rented 3 times before buying our first home (some will not be happy you are renters, sorry). It was about what house we wanted and the village. In the end it was not about how close to the square, doctors, or grocery. It takes less than 20 minutes to get where you need to go. And there is a pool in every neighborhood. Take your time don't rush pre loved homes come on the market every day and new ones being built as I type. That being said we have now moved three time's, it was about the house and nothing more, bigger space, bigger lanai, and golf cart garage. Its not a race, TV will be here when you are ready and someone always has a light on for you
Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Just got back after staying all of May and 2 weeks in June. Very hot, but tolerable. Everything inside is A/C. My advice is to take your time and get a free weekly Recreation News paper issued every Thursday and available at all recreation centers. Get involved right away with activities that interest you. The people are very friendly and helpful. Don't be shy, ask lots of questions. Don't forget everybody was on your shoes when then first arrived. I strongly advise not to use a golf cart until you become familiar with the place. It is very intimidating trying to find your way around. You must stay on the golf paths and not the roads. If you are caught by the police they can ticket you, but most of all it could be dangerous. I was very fortunate to befriend two people who have lived here awhile and they were extremely helpful. Hopefully you will be as fortunate as me. Good luck and don't feel pressured to buy. Make sure that you ask plenty of questions of the realtor, especially about the Bond.

Al G of Boston
Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
We spent quite a bit of time at area restaurants in their outside seating, just talking to people. I would even flag down people walking past! I always ask people, "Would you tell me your Villages story? What made you decide this was the place for you, and how did you decide what village to live in?" I struck up conversations with people at the Rec Centers, in the Squares, in the grocery stores. The #1 thing we liked about The Villages was all the people out and about. Everyone seems to be moving! I couldn't find anyone just waiting to die. Everyone was grabbing life with gusto! Good luck to you, and enjoy your visit!
I am a veteran wannabee (I fell in love with The Villages long before I should have LOL). Yes, I agree with lanabanana ... talk to as many Villagers as you can. I have found that most residents of The Villages are happy to tell your their story of how they became Villagers. Yes, take the trolley tour from The Villages sales office. I may take the trolley tour again when I return to The Villages in September to visit.

Get a copy of the Recreation News, it comes out every Thursday, and it lists all of the events, classes and meetings held in the rec centers of The Villages. You can pick up a copy of the Rec News from any rec center when you arrive. If you go on The Villages' web site, click on "Lifestyles & Activities", then click on "Recreation", scroll down to "Recreation News and Activities" you can click and view a PDF of the current Rec News to get an idea of what is available. You will probably be amazed by all of the classes, clubs and activities that Villagers are lucky enough to be able to participate in.

You are wise to visit in the summer to see how you can deal with Florida's heat and humidity; I have visited TV several times during the summer, and I did just fine. Just pace yourself during the hottest hours of the day. If you walk outdoors for exercise on a regular basis, I would walk before 8:00 a.m. I have lived in the Midwest all of my life...if I never see another pile of snow again, it wouldn't bother me in the least, but that is me.

If you have time, I would also recommend going to some open houses while you are visiting. There are open houses held every day in The Villages, not just on the weekend as is common up north. If you look in The Villages Daily Sun newspaper, open houses are advertised there for both new and pre-owned homes with both Villages sales agents and MLS real estate agents.

Enjoy your trip to TV, and let us know what you think of your visit. My upcoming visit in September will be my first extended visit to TV since 2014, and TV has grown a lot in those 3 years...I am counting the days.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 07-02-2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
we rented 3 times before buying our first home (some will not be happy you are renters, sorry). It was about what house we wanted and the village. In the end it was not about how close to the square, doctors, or grocery. It takes less than 20 minutes to get where you need to go. And there is a pool in every neighborhood. Take your time don't rush pre loved homes come on the market every day and new ones being built as I type. That being said we have now moved three time's, it was about the house and nothing more, bigger space, bigger lanai, and golf cart garage. Its not a race, TV will be here when you are ready and someone always has a light on for you
Thank you for the words of wisdom "It's not a race, TV will be here when you are ready and someone always has light on for you." Depending on my family situation, it will probably be another few? years before I can move to The Villages. I have to keep telling myself that The Villages will still be around in a few years...patience grasshopper
Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 AM

check out virginiatrace dot com. click on 'activities' and set for thirty days. lots of stuff will come up.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Thoughts

You may want to sit outside of Starbucks in Lake Sumter and just chat with people who are either visitors or owners. The Visitors have the same objectives and can add to your information. Make your prime objective is to find the "Village" you would like to be in. Remember the old story, Location, Location, Location. Once you see the Village you want to live in sign on to the internet and watch the homes up for sale. (Follow the Bond on the house but that should not be a purchase killer!) You may want to rent in that village and ensure you have made the right decision. We did all of this and it paid off with the home we bought 10 years ago and still love the village, the home and the neighbors.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

50 Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in The Villages
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Thanks for the link. Definitely a useful guide.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
make, florida, weather, days, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.