New Villagers from Jersey..

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Default New Villagers from Jersey..

Hello Everyone - My name is Dave and we've been following The Villages for 4+ years. During this time my wife Jan & I would discuss retirement and research many options for our life after retirement.

We finally made reservations through the Lifestyle program and visited last October 2013. Our sales rep Tony P. was so nice and easy to talk with. He did not push us one bit towards purchasing a home. He mostly just showed us around and told us to enjoy the lifestyle.

After a week at The Villages, Jan & I flew home and went back to work.

We could not get the idea of retirement in The Villages out of our heads. We loved what we saw, and the folks in The Villages we're all so nice & friendly. All the sports and activities appealed to both of us.

Also during my 4+ years of tracking house prices, I was rather certain that the prices are going up, and we better jump onboard before prices increase even more..

Anyway, we closed on our Village of Charlotte Sunkissed model on December 17, 2013, sight unseen. Many of our family members did not think this was wise, but sometimes you just have to follow your heart OR
gut feeling.

We only visited once since closing, since neither of us are retired Yet..

Jan retires in 3 years, me in 8. Jan will be able to live in both Jersey and Florida when she retires and Enjoy! I'm a programmer and since I work from home most days, the plan is to work from The Villages house. Shishhh, did not ask the boss yet. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...girlneener.gif

The Talk of The Villages Website is great and really gives us a flavor of what's happening..

We'll be down for 16 days straight in October 2014 & can't wait to make new friends and of course play Golf...

Thank You All & C-Ya in October,
Dave & Jan
Old 07-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

Congratulations Dave & Jan - We closed on our house (Gilchrist) in June and are also from NJ. Like you, it will be at least a couple of years before we can spend much time there.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

I, too, am from Nj and moved down here about 5 years ago. I have not regretted one day in that time and am only sorry I did not make the move sooner. Buying sight unseen is no problem as I have many friends who did that and not one of them regrets it. if u have an interest, u can be sure there is a club for it. Come on down for a few weeks and they will have to force u back to NJ. By the way, no income taxes here. Moving down is like getting a raise.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Sage

You had twp positive things happened to you.

1. Your home has increased in value 27%.

2. Congrats. Best wishes as you start living the dream.

This place can't be described to your friends. They have to see it, to believe it!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM

We moved here full time in march from old Bridge New Jersey we love our life here in the villages .
Wecome to pur little piece of Paradise
Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 PM

Hi Dave and Jan,
Read your post and honestly, your experience with the Villages is exactly what my hubby, Jack and I experienced. Born and raised in northern NJ and visited The Villages 3 years ago, fell in love with the place. Looked at other areas but nothing compared. Closed today on a new Courtyard Villa in the Brownwood section -Whitney Villas. Did the closing via mail and very happy we made the decision. Retiring next year. Planning a trip to The Villages in early Fall as well. Hooray for us! Best of luck to you!
Rosemary and Jack
Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Dave and Jan,

Welcome! We bought 2 years ago and visit our home as often as possilble. Husband retired 6 months ago, I have a business to sell, hope to be full time next year.

Time does fly! I have met so many nice folks that keep us updated - oh and we live vicariously thru them for the time being.

Sometimes time will fly, and sometimes it will feel like dragging on. I go on TOTV to feel connected.

Welcome home, welcome home.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My neighbor that I've been golfing with for over two years works from his home. He teaches accounting software, he either teaches over the internet or he goes to an Orlando airport hotel and rents a meeting room and clients fly in and he gives the classroom experience. He's usually booked up every week and has a business partner also in TV that is just as busy.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM

Congrats! We're from South Jersey, Audubon. We bought two years ago and just moved in full time in May and no regrets, we love very minute here.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Default and we're from west orange, nj

and also bought a house sight unseen, because we knew the prices were going up....we bought in june of 2012 and are counting down the days....and i have an app on the iPhone counting it down for me! in rio ponderosa...

feel free to message me!

sonja
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Smile

Hi – Glad to learn many folks bought their home site unseen, and all worked out, like ours, A-OK.. This only happens when dealing with honest business folks.. We’ve been following the many differing opinions of the Morse family business dealings. I’m very Thankful for them myself.. This family seems like a breath of fresh air, when looking around at the world today.. I’m looking forward to being around when the youngest Morse grandkid moves in the Presidents chair.. 

EnglishJW – Jan will be down earlier, in 3 years, than I.. Time fly’s by, we will all be there soon!!!

K2at – We’ve been checking out the clubs.. So many, it’s amazing.. Did not even consider the income tax, which translates into pay increase, Nice!!!

2BNTV – Love reading your posts.. Your another breath of fresh air in today’s world.. We Gotta figure out how to Clone you, Thank YOU SIR!!!

Stroglass – Old Bridge, we’re live just over the Rt. 1 bridge, in Edison, by Highland Park.. Do you know my cousins, name Thiebault???

R&J In NJ – Glad to learn all went smooth, similar to our experience.. You guys will be full-timers before us, ENJOY Living the Dream. Got that one from 2BNTV.. I love the saying…

Blessed2BNTV – I agree 110%, TOTV is a great site to stay connected.. It feels like we are “Living the Dream” through the lucky devils in TV..

JohnW – You look so familiar.. Great idea to keep working once we move down.. I love programming, just don’t like the stress of it all as an employee.. Maybe go back to consulting like your golf friend does.. Thank You!!

Edjkoz – South Jersey.. I’m a Stockton alum.. I love south Jersey, so beautiful.. NO regrets, mine is I did not hitting that damn lottery Yet 

Njsonja – Site unseen purchase.. It was a bit scary for us, but we kept the Faith & it worked out A-OK+… What’s your count down number today??

We’ve been wondering about the new Belle Glade and three new executive golf courses by our house in Charlotte..
Are they being built yet???
Is construction moving fast by Charlotte and surrounding area??

Enjoy the Dream,
Dave & Jan
Charlotte
Old 07-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Gold member
Default No way are we ever living in Florida

The last thing in the world we ever wanted to do was live in Florida. Jersey Shore vets all our lives and it's way too hot in Florida. 4 years ago we came for a lifestyle tour just to have a little vacation and signed the paperwork after day 2 once we chose our lot. Best move we ever made
Skip 2
Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Try offering your boss a reduction in salary to let you work from TV. That is what I did and with the lower cost of living here and no State income tax, my take home pay is still larger than it was in NJ. I used to live in Old Bridge and do not miss NJ one bit. Got tired of reading about the corrupt politicians and paying ridiculous property taxes.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM

I'm originally from Bergenfield, NJ. Have lived in MA for 35 yrs., but always consider myself a "Jersey Girl." We live in Sunset Pointe for the winter, and would love to meet more NJ folks. Email me!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Platinum member

Logan Township NJ

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.