New Villagers trying to improve our attic: need recommendation please

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2022, 02:34 PM
Default New Villagers trying to improve our attic: need recommendation please

Before we add insulation to our attic over the garage (currently no insulation) we would like to rodent-proof the attic by a trained professional who will close up holes and openings before the insulation is put down. I tried Deans and they do not offer this service which I was told is called "rodent exclusion". Please send your experience and suggestions.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2022, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Unless you are going to heat and/or cool the garage space, adding insulation above the ceiling will accomplish little or nothing to alter the heat transfer process through the garage ceiling. Typically, builders do not insulate the garage ceiling or the lanai ceiling for that reason.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:57 PM

I paid to insulate my garage ceiling and noticed no real difference. Better just to vent it. Put a vent in the garage ceiling and a solar fan in the area above the garage.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
I paid to insulate my garage ceiling and noticed no real difference. Better just to vent it. Put a vent in the garage ceiling and a solar fan in the area above the garage.
By putting the vent in the ceiling you open up the problem that if there is a fire you loose the fire break between garage and attic. Once the flame is in attic your house will not take long to burn fire will spread much faster
Old 11-19-2022, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritagoyer View Post
By putting the vent in the ceiling you open up the problem that if there is a fire you loose the fire break between garage and attic. Once the flame is in attic your house will not take long to burn fire will spread much faster
True, but you can solve that problem by installing a certified fire damper device where you penetrate the ceiling. Google it.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:16 PM

Thanks to the responders! We are installing a "mini split" in the garage. In our courtyard villa, the laundry is in the garage and we want to store things in cabinets (not yet installed). My question is about rodent-exclusion before the insulation step. I called Gary Depalma and I hope he'll inspect our attic on Monday. Any other ideas?
Old 11-19-2022, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
Thanks to the responders! We are installing a "mini split" in the garage. In our courtyard villa, the laundry is in the garage and we want to store things in cabinets (not yet installed). My question is about rodent-exclusion before the insulation step. I called Gary Depalma and I hope he'll inspect our attic on Monday. Any other ideas?
Yes, you definitely need to insulate the ceiling if you are installing a mini split. You should also insulate the garage door.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money to seal up holes where animals can get into the attic. If they want to get in, they probably will no matter what you do. Why not place a few rat traps in the attic and see what happens? When Dean's said "rodent exclusion", I think they were referring to an exclusionary clause in their contract. But I'm pretty sure that you can find other pest control contractors who will not exclude rodents from the contract.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

We insulated our garage and noticed a significant difference.

We are in a block home, with insulated garage doors and good seals.

If you are going to insulate anyway, try insulation without the mini and maybe same some $$$..............you can always mini later.

Tags
insulation, attic, deans, put, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.