New to The Villages from PA - Advice for Seeking Employment

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=RErmer;920139]Professional associations and LinkedIn are great suggestions for networking. I'm recently retired after spending 30+ years in Global HR/Compensation. Some points to consider:

1. Companies do not set pay rates based on cost of living; pay rates are set based on cost of labor, which is different. If a company has to recruit nationally to fill a position(skilled professionals), the company will more likely pay national rates. If a company can fill a position locally (like admins) then local (usually lower) rates will be paid in FL. Also, when there is a rich local recruiting pool (translation, many retirees with great skills willing to work for less or just part time) the cost of labor in an area will be depressed.
2. If you really want to get into the pay differences, go to Welcome to Salary.com! - Salary.com and search for your desired job title and location. You can also compare pay for the same job in various locations. Several companies I worked for used this tool. It is run by a very reputable company and generally has pretty good.

Good luck in your search.[/QUOTE
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Unfortunately it is going to be difficult if not impossible to find a comparable job at the same salary you had before retiring especially in Florida. Age discrimination exists and if you are over 55 then your chances of landing the type of job you had before is not good.
You may want to try doing consulting on your own or if you can use your previous professional connections then try to discover a working from home scenario for a corporation.
Otherwise rethink your expectations and do a fun menial job for little pay if you are bored.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottaVillager View Post
Wrong-O! My wife is a nurse-practitioner and she took a 46% pay cut coming down here. As our Villages Insurance rep told us.."Any job you can think of pays MUCH less in Florida than it does up north. And she's RIGHT.

As I stated, management positions are on a relatively comparable basis. I was not discussing pay levels for nursing and ARNP positions. Sorry you have such a negative approach to things.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
As I stated, management positions are on a relatively comparable basis. I was not discussing pay levels for nursing and ARNP positions. Sorry you have such a negative approach to things.
I agree!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Welcome to the anti-union right to work capitol of the country. Lack of collective bargaining is reflected in the ridiculous wages and lack of benefits. United we bargain, divided we beg.
O.P. is a managerial accountant, so crying over unions' weakness they created with fiscally unsustainable demands is not applicable here.

The prior suggestion about looking at Disney, Universal, etc. is a good one.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonner View Post
I have my Bachelor's in Accounting ..... Any ideas or suggestions?
Contact your alma mater's placement office and ask them for suggestions. If that goes nowhere contact the University of Gainesville.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonner View Post
New to The Villages from Pennsylvania. 35 Years experience in Revenue Cycle Management, all facets from Admissions to back end office Billing and Collections. I have my Bachelor's in Accounting and am dual certified through AAHAM. Having difficult time finding comparable employment. Any ideas or suggestions?
Please check out Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com It is a great website for job hunting. You type in the job title then the zip code and many jobs come up. I did a search for you and several hits in the area came up. Good luck to you.
Revenue Cycle Management Jobs, Employment in The Villages, FL 32162 | Indeed.com
Old 08-09-2014, 10:47 AM

That was a super nice thing to do.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Please check out Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com It is a great website for job hunting. You type in the job title then the zip code and many jobs come up. I did a search for you and several hits in the area came up. Good luck to you.

Revenue Cycle Management Jobs, Employment in The Villages, FL 32162 | Indeed.com

Now you are the kind of neighbor we all hope for.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Wow! This thread brought out a lot of folks like the lady in the thread of "Angry Lady in the Neighborhood". Remember, you chose to come here. If you like it better elsewhere , that is where you should be.

I was always told not to fail at retirement. To me, that meant find the right place and be happy.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:16 PM

My husband and I came from DC last year. I have watched the Villages Sun, Orlando Sentinel, Indeed.com, Linked-In, etc. and found no jobs that we would want to do within 30 miles of The Villages. I'm lucky that I get quite a lot of work that I can do at home for my former company as a 1099 resource, but my husband is very bored. There's nothing for him here. I did some consulting work for UCF in Orlando and the state pays about 60% of mileage expenses compared with the national rate. I would recommend that you work as long as you want to where you are and come done here when you're ready to retire.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JaniceOhio

Hello NottaVillager:

I'm a career/job search coach for 41 years and the Career Coach for The Ohio Society of CPAs. I am a Villager hoping to retire to my Gilchrist home in the next few years.

We just helped a CPA get hired in Bradenton and she did not take a pay cut. She had a sharp resume / LinkedIn profile. We trained her to message and present. She did her research and since she was only in town for 10 days, I advised her to find out the companies who hired folks like her and then go door-to-door. Her approach did not telegraph impending retirement. Through social networking and good old door-to-door introductions she received an offer.

You needn't be a CPA to have great qualifications. I understand how frustrating job search can be in a new neighborhood but your credentials look good. There's work for you..Just make sure every organization becomes aware of your availability. It's not just who you know.. it's who knows you! That's why they call it Job Hunt.. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceOhio View Post
I'm a career/job search coach for 41 years and the Career Coach for The Ohio Society of CPAs. I am a Villager hoping to retire to my Gilchrist home in the next few years.

We just helped a CPA get hired in Bradenton and she did not take a pay cut. She had a sharp resume / LinkedIn profile. We trained her to message and present. She did her research and since she was only in town for 10 days, I advised her to find out the companies who hired folks like her and then go door-to-door. Her approach did not telegraph impending retirement. Through social networking and good old door-to-door introductions she received an offer.

You needn't be a CPA to have great qualifications. I understand how frustrating job search can be in a new neighborhood but your credentials look good. There's work for you..Just make sure every organization becomes aware of your availability. It's not just who you know.. it's who knows you! That's why they call it Job Hunt.. Good luck!
Quote:
How nice ........ good folks willing to make helpful suggestions.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 PM

I'm with you robonner. I had great expectations for a job prospect when I decided to leave N.J. The economy appears to be booming here. There are jobs, but there is so much competition. I wish I had known this before moving here too.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Excellent Jnieman, AND...this from a person who has lived for awhile, do it before you move here.

You know what your mom said; "Look before you leap".

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.