New wannabe TVers checking in

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Default New wannabe TVers checking in

Hi all, I'm Lisa, DH is Steve.

We haven't even done a lifestyle visit yet, but we're thinking TV is the place we want to be...you guys are very persuasive!

We're about four years from retirement, but we've been researching potential retirement locations for about 5 years. We both have mobile jobs and can work from anywhere, so we moved from Texas to Henderson, NV a couple of years ago to see if the desert was where we wanted to be. Within a year we both agree this isn't our forever spot.

So we started looking again and found The Villages. We're planning to do a lifestyle visit this fall and you're gonna laugh, but I've already picked out the Begonia floorplan (split closets in the master = marital harmony in our family).

Our only concern is that neither is 55, but I read that the 80% >55 requirement is currently satisfied so we shouldn't have a problem if we decide this is where we want to live.

Anyway, love reading the posts, I'm learning a ton!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Bosoxfan

Welcome to TOTV...I believe when you come you're going to love it!!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Sage

As always, bring your checkbook when you come to visit - you're just liable to find that perfect Begonia you'll want to buy!!!

Bill
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM

We were intrigued after our first visit so we rented for a month. That is when we fell in love with TV. Cherie looked at me with a dreamy smile I had never seen on her before and said "Tommy, I love it here." That is when I knew we would spend our remaining years in TV. After another six weeks in rentals we selected our lot and built our home in an area we adore. I hope you find the same joy in whatever you choose.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post

We haven't even done a lifestyle visit yet, but we're thinking TV is the place we want to be...you guys are very persuasive!

We're about four years from retirement, but we've been researching potential retirement locations for about 5 years. We both have mobile jobs and can work from anywhere, so we moved from Texas to Henderson, NV a couple of years ago to see if the desert was where we wanted to be. Within a year we both agree this isn't our forever spot.

So we started looking again and found The Villages. We're planning to do a lifestyle visit this fall and you're gonna laugh, but I've already picked out the Begonia floorplan (split closets in the master = marital harmony in our family).

Our only concern is that neither is 55, but I read that the 80% >55 requirement is currently satisfied so we shouldn't have a problem if we decide this is where we want to live.

Lisa and Steve, Welcome to TOTV. This is indeed the place to learn about moving to and living in The Villages. I am a few yrs. shy of 55, but as I won't be buying in TV for a few yrs. (unless I win the lottery), I don't see a problem with buying in TV.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Find the house style you are thinking of. Go the thevillages4rent.com and rent the house during off season you can find some by the week try out a few houses and enjoy
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Default Wannabee

My wife (Mary) and myself (Steve) are 18 months from retirement. We currently own a Retail Pack & Ship store in Wilson, N.C. We began looking at tv about 6 months ago and we are really getting excited about moving there. I play golf, but (not on tour), so I will enjoy perfecting my game. I go in here everyday and read and ask questions. Our plans now are to close the store the week of Thanksgiving and go down for a visit.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Sage

Scully -- Welcome to TOTV. This is the place to go for information about moving to and living in TV as there is a wealth of information on this site. Hope your visit to TV this November goes well.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Hi Lisa 99
Read your msg. and want to tell you to be ready to move after your visit.
That was our mistake 12 yrs ago and we have missed TV ever since.
Something always went wrong for us to make the move. Finally going in
spring of 2013 and the wait is still long. I have never been anywhere to
find such nice people. I was there with my elder sisters and we were walking
to one of the rec centers when a man in a golf cart came upon us asking
where were we going. He said too far hop in the cart and I will take you to it.
When we arrived he said go look around I have nothing to do and I will wait
and show you around. Took us to his home and also back to ours. We live in
Pa and trust me I have never seen such kindness. Now we have 1 long year
and we will be there too.
TV is just a wonderful place to be. Everything you want or need is there.
Enjoy your visit.
Mar/Bob
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar/bob View Post
Hi Lisa 99
Read your msg. and want to tell you to be ready to move after your visit.
That was our mistake 12 yrs ago and we have missed TV ever since.
Something always went wrong for us to make the move. Finally going in
spring of 2013 and the wait is still long. I have never been anywhere to
find such nice people. I was there with my elder sisters and we were walking
to one of the rec centers when a man in a golf cart came upon us asking
where were we going. He said too far hop in the cart and I will take you to it.
When we arrived he said go look around I have nothing to do and I will wait
and show you around. Took us to his home and also back to ours. We live in
Pa and trust me I have never seen such kindness. Now we have 1 long year
and we will be there too.
TV is just a wonderful place to be. Everything you want or need is there.
Enjoy your visit.
Mar/Bob
Mar/Bob, What a nice story about the man who gave you and your sisters a ride in his golf cart and showed you around -- last year when I rented I was a little lost in my golf cart. A TV employee saw me pulled over at the side of the golf cart path and said "where are you going?" I said, "Savannah Center." He said, "Follow me, I'm going right past there." Bless his soul! This is what TV is all about -- friendly residents helping newcomers and wannabees!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM

Hi Schaumburger
Thx for the answer. No people anywhere as nice and helpful as in TV.
From one of your prior posts to me you say you have a long wait to get
to TV. I hope some way you can make it quicker. It's cold in Illinois.
I have 2 older sisters to take care of, hope I can get them in a close villa
to where I will be. I am not sure I do things correctly on TOTV. I don't seem
to get answers back. I got 1 from Lovsthosebigdogs. They were from my
area. The next thing I got was an e-mail from TOTV saying DO NOT ANSWER
THIS E-mail. I did not but don't no how to get back to them. Not sure if I
did something wrong, then it happened again with another person.
We wish you luck in getting to TV and hope it doesn't take the 12 yrs it took
us. It's been a long struggle.
Hope we meet some day.

Mar/Bob
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post

Hi Lisa and Steve,
Welcome to TOTV! It's never to early to visit TV and start planning. Neither DH or I were 55 yet on our first visit either. You are right about the 80 percent, so it's likely you can move here before you are 55 anyway. Since you don't have to wait 'til retirement, I must agree with Bill-- bring your checkbook! If you buy while you are down here, you'll join a lonnnnnnnnnnnng list of folks who did and couldn't be happier and never looked back!

Got questions? Just ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCULLY View Post
My wife (Mary) and myself (Steve) are 18 months from retirement. We currently own a Retail Pack & Ship store in Wilson, N.C. We began looking at tv about 6 months ago and we are really getting excited about moving there. I play golf, but (not on tour), so I will enjoy perfecting my game. I go in here everyday and read and ask questions. Our plans now are to close the store the week of Thanksgiving and go down for a visit.
Welcome, Scully! That's great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar/bob View Post
Hi Schaumburger
I am not sure I do things correctly on TOTV. I don't seem
to get answers back. Mar/Bob
Hi Mar/Bob,
Sorry to hear you have asked questions and did not get answers. That's unusual on TOTV. One tip is to start a new thread, if you did not. Sometimes, if you post a question in the middle of another thread, it gets lost.

Let me know if you don't know how to start a thread and I'll be happy to walk you through it-- if another nice poster doesn't beat me to it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM
TOTV Moderator

Mar/Bob... You probably received an email notification that you had a private message (PM) waiting for you on TOTV. You can't reply to the email since it was generated by the TOTV system.

Instead, next time you logged in to TOTV, you click on the "private messages" link in the upper right corner to view and or reply to PMs sent just to you by other members.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.