Floridian Customs

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Default Floridian Customs

Hi All, I am just packing a few things to bring down to our village home to keep in the closet so that I don't have to pack each time I visit (about 7 or 8times a year - not retired yet). I packed several pairs of white slacks and shoes. Then I thought, Do people in Florida wear white after labor day? Up North it is a no-no except of course if you purchase "winter-white" clothing from a specialty store. I always have to laugh when the garment is labeled "winter-white." I guess it is their way of saying its OK to buy this even though it is the middle of December - they give you a special dispensation! I know it sounds crazy but ... it led me to ponder further. The lifestyle in Florida is so different. What are some other customs that I need to prepare myself for when we finally make the move?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Gold member
Default wearing white

I always thought winter white was kind of an off-white - I've also been ignoring the "no white between Labor Day and Memorial Day" rule for awhile anyway, especially when in warm weather in Florida.

I can't say I've actually paid attention when down in The Villages in fall and spring - we haven't been in TV much from Jan-March since we were renting our place out, but usually visited relatives in Ft Myers every Jan or Feb - and I must confess I packed and wore white there.

Is there someone more fashion conscious who can let me know if I've guilty of fashion faux-pas? Might as well add that to the list . . .
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Sage

Having lived in warm areas since 1972, I wear white in the winter. Always thought that "rule" of not wearing white after a period of time wasn't applicable in warmer climates and a stupid sort of "rule."

This winter was pretty cold here and honestly, I didn't feel like wearing white, I wanted dark, warm clothing. Just an emotional response to the chill I guess.

Bring clothing that you'll enjoy being in, but remember to have something that is warm for those days when the temps are chilly.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum member

I frankly hope that you'll abandon any and all "fashion rules." No whites after Labor Day? Why the h*** not? No shorts after Labor Day? Why the h*** not?

When you begin living in a place where people often don't even wear long pants to funerals, then I think you've earned the right to be casual!

At first, I was appalled at the informality, but now basically endorse it! On t'other hand, I still go to funerals wearing a tie and jacket! Some folks may think I'm "stuffy."

SWR
Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Eternal Member

swrinfla-
Do you wear shorts and flip flops to the Savannah Center (our only live theater)???

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Platinum member

islandgal:

Good Heavens, NO. But, it's true that I don't dress up, either.

Actually, I don't wear shorts or flip-flops EVER! It's TRUE! Yes, I have a pair of shorts and may, now and then, wear them when I'm at home, but not out in public! After all, I treasure my neighbors and friends - don't want to shock them to death!

SWR
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Without starting up a new link, I'll post this here.

I bought a ceiling fan at this place (this could happen anywhere in Florida - just posting to all to please be careful).

http://www.wftv.com/news/24671001/de...=cmg_cntnt_rss
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
Without starting up a new link, I'll post this here.

I bought a ceiling fan at this place (this could happen anywhere in Florida - just posting to all to please be careful).

http://www.wftv.com/news/24671001/de...=cmg_cntnt_rss
Wow hoseman! That should be posted in a new thread for everyone to see.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Sage

Hhmm, other Forida customs. Let's see. Well, most people in TV aren't from Florida so they bring a good mix of customs, traditions and clothing. On a cool night in July, it was in the mid-80s temperature wise, and my husband and I saw an attractive woman with a nice light sweater on her shoulders in one of the town squares. We knew she had been in TV for awhile and was accustomed to the temperatures. Eighty degrees feels cool after you've gotten accustomed to the high 90s.

I think it depends on what you are comfortable wearing. To this day, if I'm going to the doctor's office, I have to "dress up." When I was working, I could not for the life of me wear a skirt or dress with bare legs. Regardless of how tanned my legs were.

I was taught that white makes you look heavier. So white slacks or shorts has always been a no-no to me. I have a friend heavier than me and she wears white pants golfing and it looks great on her. But it is one of those things ingrained in my mind.

Someone on this forum mentioned their lovely wife wearing a two-piece swim suit at the TV pools. Now to me, that is a no-no after a certain age -regardless. But that is just me. Like skirts a certain length after a certain age. But I have found when my skirt length and sleeves length went down after a certain age; so has the neckline on my blouses. Go figure.

You see people in the mornings eating breakfast at Panera Bread in a large array of clothing. Everything from spandex on the local bicyclers and running shorts to clam diggers and sun dresses.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum member

My observations:
As far as casual clothes go, when we first moved to TV in the winter I noticed that the only people wearing jeans were the locals -- the people living NEAR TV, but not IN TV. There were lots of locals wearing jeans at WalMart and the grocery store, but Villagers wore 'outfits' when they shopped. Did anybody else notice this?

I observed that in the evenings Villager men wore khakis, and the women wore slacks or capris, or (believe it or not) skirts! Again, coordinated outfits with accessories. Everybody looked very spiffy, so of course I ran right out and bought some new clothes & accessories.

Last winter I noticed that some of the newer Villagers (men & women) wore jeans and sweatshirts to the country clubs, the restaurants, on the squares, etc.. At first I thought they were locals enjoying the amenities, but they were new Villagers. I haven't seen jeans at the Savannah Center - yet. I'm not making any judgments; I'm just sharing my observations. (Maybe the newer folks are from somewhere other than the Midwest? I have relatives in the Midwest, and they always wear 'outfits' and look great, even when going to WalMart. I don't think they own any jeans) Would any Midwesterners care to comment? On the other hand, maybe it's due to the newbies being younger than some of us?

And from the previous posts, I think we should all start wearing gloves when we go to the garden center. Maybe we could wear those long, over-the-elbow evening gloves
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM

It doesn't snow here... What ever you want to wear in the winter is perfectly Okay.

Peace and Love
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
My observations:
As far as casual clothes go, when we first moved to TV in the winter I noticed that the only people wearing jeans were the locals -- the people living NEAR TV, but not IN TV. There were lots of locals wearing jeans at WalMart and the grocery store, but Villagers wore 'outfits' when they shopped. Did anybody else notice this?

I observed that in the evenings Villager men wore khakis, and the women wore slacks or capris, or (believe it or not) skirts! Again, coordinated outfits with accessories. Everybody looked very spiffy, so of course I ran right out and bought some new clothes & accessories.

Last winter I noticed that some of the newer Villagers (men & women) wore jeans and sweatshirts to the country clubs, the restaurants, on the squares, etc.. At first I thought they were locals enjoying the amenities, but they were new Villagers. I haven't seen jeans at the Savannah Center - yet. I'm not making any judgments; I'm just sharing my observations. (Maybe the newer folks are from somewhere other than the Midwest? I have relatives in the Midwest, and they always wear 'outfits' and look great, even when going to WalMart. I don't think they own any jeans) Would any Midwesterners care to comment? On the other hand, maybe it's due to the newbies being younger than some of us?

And from the previous posts, I think we should all start wearing gloves when we go to the garden center. Maybe we could wear those long, over-the-elbow evening gloves
uujudy, every respectable Southern woman knows that only gloves shorter than opera length gloves are worn in the garden center. And they should be removed before smoking.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Default When I retire I hope to only wear long pants on rare occasions

I wore a pair of sneakers for the first time this summer ( I wear my Crocs wherever I go). Boy did my feet feel confined and hot, but I start back to school on Monday and need to get ready. I hope to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts as my usual outfit once i retire. It will make me feel as if I'm on a 365 day vacation.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 PM

One thing I learned this visit last week --

there is a dress code on the golf course ---you must wear a collared shirt !!

I dont have a problem with it but I am more comfortable in a tee shirt ..
Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Sage

Common dress: resort casual
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.