No Wine Club in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Default No Wine Club in TV?

I am surprised that there is no wine club in TV.

An in-home wine club is fun and makes for a great social event. The makeup of a wine club is simple. A good wine club consists of twelve couples. Each month a different couple will host a wine tasting party. The host gets to choose the type wine to be sampled (Merlot, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, etc.) Each couple brings a bottle of wine from the host's selection in a brown paper bag. Each bottle is numbered and the tasting begins. Each person rates each wine tasted from 1-10 and places their rating in a bowl with the number of the bottle they sampled. At the end of the tastings the host will add up the points to determine the winning bottle and the paper bags are removed from the bottles. Often couples bring the same brand of wine and it is fun to see the different ratings for the same wine. Usually the host couple will serve a desert at the end of the evening. It is a fun monthly experience. I was in a wine club in the Northern California wine country for ten years and always looked forward to our monthly wine club meeting.

We are moving to TV in October and would love to form a wine club. No wines are sold, only tasted so TV should not object to such a club. Anyone interested in joining such a club please respond with a private message and we will put you on the list. Looking forward to our move to TV.

Fred & Suzie in the Temecula Wine Country, California
Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 PM

Please add us to your list.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Wine Talk 2ndTHX6,7,8@7PM Bacall Giorgio Masini 1390 Chesterfield
Lane
(352) 430-0026
The Villages, FL 32162 Resident Lifestyle Group
Old 06-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

And here I thought there were several - just not the home versions! Don't they meet nitely at the corner kiosks on the squares?

ducking and running

Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

According to what he wrote in his book "Leisureville" Andrew Blechman found a wine club existed in The Villages: at least he wrote that he attended an organized wine tasting.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I don't know anything about the business, but I remember a winery opened a few months ago at Spanish Springs Square on Main St. The Corkscrew Winery

A wine vineyard opened in Wildwood a few months ago, http://www.winesofflorida.com/ Also in Clermont, about 25 miles south, Lakeridge Winery is the biggest in Florida. I've taken the tour and had their wine tasting. You can buy their wines in Publix and many other stores. http://www.lakeridgewinery.com/
Old 06-03-2015, 05:07 PM

I too am surprised that there is not any wine clubs. I thought that a chapter of "The American Wine Society" would flourish in The Villages.
I have been a member in other states and have found the organization very helpful. Have seen SKYPE meetings with Napa & Sonoma County Wine Makers and the meetings are a great way to meet people and learn about wine.

American Wine Society
Old 06-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
I too am surprised that there is not any wine clubs. I thought that a chapter of "The American Wine Society" would flourish in The Villages.
I have been a member in other states and have found the organization very helpful. Have seen SKYPE meetings with Napa & Sonoma County Wine Makers and the meetings are a great way to meet people and learn about wine.

American Wine Society
Bogie had the info in post #2, here's a link to their website. Club Page
Old 06-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Call or stop in GarVinos in Lake Sumter Landing and ask Gary or Sandee (owners).
Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Sounds like a great idea. Lets get it started. Be glad to help you with it.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

Count me in and I'll bring some cheese and crackers too. Sent pm with contact information.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Gold member

We are in. Sounds like fun and something we do in the summer in northern MI.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredwms View Post
I am surprised that there is no wine club in TV.

An in-home wine club is fun and makes for a great social event. The makeup of a wine club is simple. A good wine club consists of twelve couples. Each month a different couple will host a wine tasting party. The host gets to choose the type wine to be sampled (Merlot, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, etc.) Each couple brings a bottle of wine from the host's selection in a brown paper bag. Each bottle is numbered and the tasting begins. Each person rates each wine tasted from 1-10 and places their rating in a bowl with the number of the bottle they sampled. At the end of the tastings the host will add up the points to determine the winning bottle and the paper bags are removed from the bottles. Often couples bring the same brand of wine and it is fun to see the different ratings for the same wine. Usually the host couple will serve a desert at the end of the evening. It is a fun monthly experience. I was in a wine club in the Northern California wine country for ten years and always looked forward to our monthly wine club meeting.

We are moving to TV in October and would love to form a wine club. No wines are sold, only tasted so TV should not object to such a club. Anyone interested in joining such a club please respond with a private message and we will put you on the list. Looking forward to our move to TV.

Fred & Suzie in the Temecula Wine Country, California
we are definitely interested. sent a pm with contact info
Old 06-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Gold member

Sounds great! Count me in! We do have a gourmet club but no wine club, until you arrive. Ha
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Gold member

I like the idea of an in-house wine club count us in. We are snowbirds but will be back in October.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.