off season rental viability

Old 03-21-2024, 09:57 PM
Default off season rental viability

we are snowbirds and uncertain if worth effort to rent when not here. restated, we use jan + feb+ march and would rent april thru dec.

would prefer monthly or nine month trntal but would consider weekly

any idea what demand is like and off season weekly, monthly and longer multi/9 month rental

house is typical 3 bed/2 bath

any recommendations for property management firm is appreciated
Old 03-21-2024, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagesnowbird View Post
we are snowbirds and uncertain if worth effort to rent when not here. restated, we use jan + feb+ march and would rent april thru dec.

any idea what demand is like and off season weekly, monthly and longer multi/9 month rental

The Villages Hometown Property Management is one option. While they aren't "the Developer" they are connected to them. That means it's in their best interest to make sure your home is well-kept, maintained, and appropriately occupied.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagesnowbird View Post

That should work well. There are only about 30,000 empty homes in TV during those months.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

My wife and I rented in The Villages during high season for 20 years.
Some properties we stayed at for several years, the longest I think was six years.
All the properties had one thing in common, a noticeable rate of deterioration.
Not all tenants had been as solicitous with the properties as my wife and I.
Who wants to spend the first weeks of your own break, putting damage right and decorating, and replacing the 'Disappeared' items.
The worst properties were also the ones being managed by property management companies, whose reps, in all of our stays, we never met or saw during the entire winter rental.

The main reason my wife and I never purchased, was we refused to rent to cover the period we were not there, so the annual overheads and ongoing maintenance, never made it a viable investment, as far as we were concerned.
If you really do not need the income from a rental, IMHO I would never rent my property.

There is also the upside, that with decent tenants, you should more than cover your annual overheads, and some.

Tags
rent, rental, month, monthly, season

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.