Organic Food Stores

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2014, 01:07 PM

I asked the seller of free range chickens at the Brownwood Saturday Market if he feeds those chickens any GMO corn. His reply was "yes." Also, he charges upwards of $17 for his small chickens.

However, the closest place to us that sells totally Organic Chickens is Trader Joe's in Ocala, FL. They sell them for $12+ which is a great price.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
I asked the seller of free range chickens at the Brownwood Saturday Market if he feeds those chickens any GMO corn. His reply was "yes." Also, he charges upwards of $17 for his small chickens.

However, the closest place to us that sells totally Organic Chickens is Trader Joe's in Ocala, FL. They sell them for $12+ which is a great price.
CORRECTION: Trader Joe's is in Gainesville, not Ocala, which is one hour away from us here in The Villages.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

///
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

This market recently opened in Ocala.

The Organic Chef Foods | Florida Grass Fed Beef | Pastured Organically Raised Chicken |Nitrite/Nitrate Free Sausages |Free Range Meats | Hormone Free Meats | Pork | MSG Free Sausages
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM

I wish I could tell you the name of the place, but we were just in TV and we passed a farm as we approached TV entrance and it had a sign that they grow only grass fed animals and they will butcher them for you. What you are looking for must exist in this day and age. Don't give up without looking. Heck, you might even be able to convince a local farmer to grow or raise what you want. It might become a growing business for them.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM

I was really surprised upon moving here that is would be so difficult to get organic beef. I found a good tasting beef, like the organic beef back home and it is at Winn Dixie but it is not organic.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

surprised the villages has an aldis but not trader joes.....Earth Fare (out of Ashiville, NC) just opened in Jax. so maybe they will expand farther into Fla. We will be Village Idiots in two weeks
Old 09-28-2014, 06:24 PM

You can get all the organic you want in Orlando but that's an hours drive:
Chamberlains Health Foods
Fresh Market
Whole Foods
Old 09-28-2014, 06:28 PM

trader joes is great too
Old 09-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
This farm (linked) is right in our backyard and they sell at the farmer's market on Saturdays at Brownwood.

Stop implying that 105,000 of us here are wandering around like dummies eating nothing but junk in a place with no decent food to eat.

Pasture Prime Farm - Summerfield, FL

"Our family farm raises all natural 100% grass-fed meat from Wagyu cattle, free-range chickens, free-range turkeys, Berkshire pigs and Mangalitsa pigs."

Pasture Prime Grass-fed Wagyu Beef from Summerfield, Florida
I don't think she implied that at all. She implied that the marketplace should be more responsive to the population.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
The nearest Whole Foods is in Orlando, about an hour 10 minutes from The Villages. Fresh Market is no Whole Foods. They have some organics, as do most grocery stores today, but not a particularly large selection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
And $10 or so in tolls.
I've been a Whole Foods shopper since the 70's (in LA it was known as Mrs. Gooch's), and I don't think the Orlando store is as good as the Tampa store. No tolls to get there, but it is about 1 hr and 15 min. Once your in the car, to me, it doesn't matter, a few minutes more either way. I was very spoiled, in LA I had Whole Foods all around me, so I'm very sad that there isn't one closer. I'd settle for Ocala which is only 30 min. from the Villages.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvChocolate View Post
I eat almost exclusively organic. It takes me an hour to get to my local Whole Foods from where I live now in NJ. I'm thinking of moving to the Villages, but I swore I would never live anywhere further than a half hour from a Whole Foods. This is very important to me. Can someone please tell me how far the nearest Whole Foods is? Also.. are there any other stores in the area or in the Villages that offer organic foods?

Thanks so much!
Depending on where you may live in TV, you can be as close to a minute or 15 minutes by car, to a whole foods store. Trader Joe's is an hour away in Gainesville.

I lot of people wanted a home Goods store in TV and it is in the process of coming to TV. Maybe Traders Joe will too!!!

One can only hope.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

GMO's....a great subject for another thread.

How many countries do no think GMO's are safe? Most developed countries.

GMO's are approved by our government....GMO providers and the government and the chemical lobbyists prevent the labeling of foods with GMO's cause they don't want you to know.

Now how is it possible to have something that most of the people do not want in a land that is governed for the people?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Whole foods is an excellent market. Fresh Market gives these folks a run for their money(stock price to bare) ,taking market share ect. I am very happy with our Fresh Market here in the Villages.Great fresh produce,nice deli,good coffee selection,nice meat,excellent produce,variety
Old 09-30-2014, 02:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=Halibut;932916]And $10 or so in tolls.[/QUOTE]

Not that much with SunPass or if you take 441, which is free.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.