Osprey

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Gold member
Default Where's that hawk when you need one?

Although I have seen a hawk (or something) attack and take off with a mourning dove from my backyard, there is a rabbit (and where there's one . . .) in our neighborhood that has been eating my plants since last fall.

I'm a gardener, and have had to block all the corners of our CYV with gutter guard wire, and pavers under our gate since last fall. Rabbit ate my sugar snap peas down to the ground, some lettuce, peppers, basil, thyme, etc., until I blocked every opening. After months, I finally saw a rabbit down the street while walking the dog. Fastest rabbit I've ever seen.

So yes, the birds of prey are a threat to small animals, but I think the odds are with the small animals. It would be the exception to have a small dog carried off, but I suppose it could happen. I'd be more concerned living by a pond or an open area.

There are hawks up north too, you know.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post
While I am not exactly a worry-wart, and despite a few occasions when my actions clearly dispute Darwin's theories on natural selection/survival of the species, I am reasonably prudent when it comes to safeguarding my family, my pet, and myself from dangers of any nature.

Maybe it's me but I'm thinking it rather irresponsible for an adult to lift a child over a fence just to get a more up close and personal look at a gator.

Red tail is correct, generally speaking, most wild animals will retreat rather than confront a human. Generally, but not always...and one "not always" is a definite life-changer, if not a possible a life-ender.

Alligators and certain snakes can kill you, or at least mess up your day.

Birds of prey- emphasis on prey- will swoop in and snatch away one's furry, four-legged child if that pet is a convenient target.

When it comes to appreciating wildlife, an appropriate balance of curiosity:caution, wonder:logic would serve most folks quite well.

Getting close to Nature can be a wondrously beautiful experience; getting close to fauna that considers me a dining option...not so much.
Well said...

"There are hawks up north too, you know."

Yes, there are... and I would never let Finley out alone there either...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
So yes, the birds of prey are a threat to small animals, but I think the odds are with the small animals. It would be the exception to have a small dog carried off, but I suppose it could happen. I'd be more concerned living by a pond or an open area.
Do you own a small dog?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

Hawks have to eat, too.

Keep Fluffy on a short leash when you walk her and there will be no problem at all. Let Fluffy run in the weeds by pond areas and there sure could be a problem - and not from hawks.

Best idea is to keep Fluffy in the house until she needs to go outside and then only on a leash. People in houses do this. Courtyard villa owners - do what you want - at your own risk.

Remember, hawks, raccoons, venomous snakes, and coyotes are all wild animals and they were here first.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Gold member

for the record a red tail hawk can carry a third of its body weight. a red tail hawk typically weighs 4 to 7 lbs. do the math!

a great horned owl can carry around 3 lbs.

a bald eagle can carry up to 10 or 12 lbs.

so if you see any bald eagles hanging around your yard maybe, and i mean maybe, he may be a threat. certainly not something to keep you awake at night though.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Well I guess that means

That with my "healthy" long-haired dachshund, that red tail hawk would have to make three trips....Yipsters!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
for the record a red tail hawk can carry a third of its body weight. a red tail hawk typically weighs 4 to 7 lbs. do the math!

so if you see any bald eagles hanging around your yard maybe, and i mean maybe, he may be a threat. certainly not something to keep you awake at night though.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:

Not to pick a nit, but actually, a red tail can carry a jackrabbit which can be double the redtail's weight.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Not to pick a nit, but actually, a red tail can carry a jackrabbit which can be double the redtail's weight.
only in tasty little 2 lb pieces
Old 04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
only in tasty little 2 lb pieces
LOL.....probably so.

Actually they generally swoop in, kill, sometimes take their "lunch" with them, but many times, eat on the spot so to speak.

They are indeed beautiful raptors, aren't they!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
LOL.....probably so.

Actually they generally swoop in, kill, sometimes take their "lunch" with them, but many times, eat on the spot so to speak.

They are indeed beautiful raptors, aren't they!
you are correct... they usually eat it on the spot, try and use carry out only if absolutly necessary!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:

Okay, red tail, you are digging your hole deeper each time you post about this topic. I'm sure you know a lot about a whole bunch of other things, but this particular topic is not one of those things.

Eagles and hawks grab their prey by the leg, the prey stumbles, the bird hangs on and sometimes somersalts with the prey as they fall. Then the bird(s) (they hunt in packs and so sometimes it is plural) attack and kill the prey, and eat it on site. The prey does not need to be carried in the air to some far away place.

Below are some videos of hawks and eagles killing and eating prey MUCH heavier than they are, including wolves, deer and dogs.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...d.php?p=334585
Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Okay, red tail, you are digging your hole deeper each time you post about this topic. I'm sure you know a lot about a whole bunch of other things, but this particular topic is not one of those things.

Eagles and hawks grab their prey by the leg, the prey stumbles, the bird hangs on and sometimes somersalts with the prey as they fall. Then the bird(s) (they hunt in packs and so sometimes it is plural) attack and kill the prey, and eat it on site. The prey does not need to be carried in the air to some far away place.

Below are some videos of hawks and eagles killing and eating prey MUCH heavier than they are, including wolves, deer and dogs.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...d.php?p=334585
ok...i think we shoud have a poll. anyone in the villages ever lose a pet to a wild animal in their back yard. if anyone has ill just my mouth forever on!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
ok...i think we shoud have a poll. anyone in the villages ever lose a pet to a wild animal in their back yard. if anyone has ill just my mouth forever on!
Not everyone in TV is on TOTV.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
No - but a friend told me of a neighbor's dog carried off by a gator on Palmer. Of course this is hearsay, so you may wish to renege on your commitment...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
No - but a friend told me of a neighbor's dog carried off by a gator on Palmer. Of course this is hearsay, so you may wish to renege on your commitment...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.