Please educate me about golf carts!

Old 02-07-2024, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone!

I like reading about the personal experiences, how to maintain, gas vs electric.

What's is like driving on the roads next to cars? The designated paths have walkers as well? What's parking like... same lot as the cars?

dtennent & rjm: Good question to consider! I don't golf (yet) so would probably use to get to stores, pools & rec, sunset drives, etc. Probably would not drive it for more than half hour to get anywhere and would take my car for any outing over 30 minutes. Ideally, good quality but no pricy extras, 2 bucket seats (thanks Jerry Bell) and no back seating.

If you take your cart grocery shopping where do you put your bags?
Old 02-07-2024, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
If you take your cart grocery shopping where do you put your bags?
The Villages Florida
Old 02-07-2024, 09:14 PM

Thank you MrChip!!
Old 02-07-2024, 09:35 PM

You’ll never get the answers you need from in here. 50% go one way while 50% go the other. If you won’t use your golf cart that much, don’t mind paying for batteries, don’t mind hurting the environment, like to drive noiselessly, go electric.

If you plan on driving for long distances, don’t mind stopping for gas often, don’t mind the noise, and you don’t mind hurting the environment, go gas.

It’s really that simple.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post

If you plan on driving for long distances, don’t mind stopping for gas often, don’t mind the noise, and you don’t mind hurting the environment, go gas.
No one with a gas cart is stopping for gas "often". I'm getting well over 200 miles per tank. We put lots of miles on our cart and can go a month sometimes on a tank of gas.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's true. But on TOTV, all that "good information and advice" will likely be contradictory
True but about 95% of the responses will be opinions and around 5% will be objective information.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post

... don’t mind hurting the environment, like to drive noiselessly, go electric.

.... don’t mind the noise, and you don’t mind hurting the environment, go gas.

It’s really that simple.

It's that simple. If you use a golf cart, you're hurting the environment.

So protect your environment! Stay home and enjoy your life in an Active 55+ Community, from the comfort of your living room.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:04 AM
Default Electric is not the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Here's my take.
Seriously.. buy a hybrid vehicle.
Sure you can't use it for golfing, but can go shopping all on battery power same as a cart, and in air conditioning
and a hell of a lot quieter.
Electric vehicles are way more expensive to maintain very unreliable. In my opinion the ones I’ve had both gas and electric gas ot performs easily. Electric golf carts suck.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

if you get an electric cart, be aware that adding water to the batteries can destroy your driveway if it overflows. I didn't know that when I moved here. Added water in my driveway and eventually the acid from the battery ate into my beautiful painted driveway. Had to have the whole thing sandblasted and repainted. Now I have a gas cart.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
if you get an electric cart, be aware that adding water to the batteries can destroy your driveway if it overflows. I didn't know that when I moved here. Added water in my driveway and eventually the acid from the battery ate into my beautiful painted driveway. Had to have the whole thing sandblasted and repainted. Now I have a gas cart.
I tried adding water to my battery and couldn't figure out how to get the water in there ... poured it on top and it splashed all over the driveway. Luckily, it didn't hurt the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium EZ.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	102709  
Old 02-08-2024, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Hang On..................This is going to be a "ride".

The over/under is 7 pages!!!!
Old 02-08-2024, 09:08 AM

Gas only!
Old 02-08-2024, 09:12 AM

When you get one use an apple air tag. Many carts have been stolen.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcloud View Post
Electric vehicles are way more expensive to maintain very unreliable. In my opinion the ones I’ve had both gas and electric gas ot performs easily. Electric golf carts suck.
It sounds like you've never had an electric vehicle or an electric cart.

I have had HEVs (Prius hybrid - great car) and currently own both a gas and electric cart.

Initial costs were similar for both automobiles and carts. EV and PHEV automobiles cost significantly more than HEVs - I won't be buying one of those for just that reason.

Maintenance cost is similar for HEV automobile compared to ICE automobile. Maintenance cost is nonexistent for electric cart compared to oil change, spark plug, air cleaner, and drive belt for gas cart.

Based on my experience actually owning and operating both, my future purchases will be HEV for automobile and electric for carts.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-08-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
I know I'm going to get a lot of good information and advice here!

I know NOTHING about golf carts. Gas? Electric? One or Two benches? Do you plug them in at night? Do they have a favorite snack?

Help please!
Based on my experience: 2-seater electric cart, upgraded bucket seats, plug in every night.

I like the zero maintenance of the electric cart with no need to go to a gas station. I plug mine in every night and have about a 60mile range in the morning. 60 miles is about four hours which is longer than I want to spend in a cart seat anyway.

The upgraded seats are just really nice.

We only bought 2-seater carts. These fit into our garage better than a 4-seater and feel more comfortable when we are driving them by ourselves. If we have company then we have a cart for our guests to use and we can split up and go separate directions if we want. Yes, two 2-seaters are far more expensive than a single 4-seater but it is much better suited for our needs/desires.

Electric cart vs hybrid auto: The cart is fun to drive. I don't golf but own two carts so we don't have to argue over who gets stuck with the car. If you need a financial argument, the cart will cost less initially and likely last longer than the car (much lower lifetime cost), the cart will cost less to maintain than the car (lower yearly cost), and the cart will cost 3-5 times less per mile than an efficient hybrid vehicle (lower per-mile cost).

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Tags
golf, carts, benches, plug, night

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.