Pool or not?

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Default trying to change avitar

lets see if it works
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Bosoxfan

[QUOTE=Freeda;3662)I love the freedom from maintaining a pool but also the social aspect of going to the pools here, where we've met neighbors and made new friends. Plus, we love going to the priority pools, especially Orange Blossom and Hacienda Hills, which have more of a resort atmosphere. I can be at our nearby neighborhood pool in the same time it used to take me to walk down our deck stairs and get to the pool we had at our house. I don't think that if I had a pool in my home here I'd be as likely to go to these other poo[/QUOTE] My sentiments exactly! We love going to the pool for the socializing. Also when I see someone using their own pool ;which is seldom; they're by themselves.To each is own but that doesn't seem fun!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default don't know if I count or not

Just a Wannebe here but for us no pool. I like to think down the road and would not want to have a pool the older I would get....besides....it is fun to meet others at the community pools.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sweetie says NO POOL. There are a bunch of pools that other people are maintaining very well.

He wants to golf and not clean the pool...and I want to golf and draw and paint and not clean the pool. Helene is not interested in cleaning the pool.

Plus, I want to take the money that would be spent on pool maintainance and have our couch recovered.

Very personal choice. But either way is right.
I'd bet your (two) kitty cats would make good pool cleaners.............

Bill
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Having a pool is like having a boat. If you enjoy it then get one. If you worry about cost or the hassle of maintennance then forget it. BTW, you can have your own pool and go to the neighborhood pools also. But there's nothing like floating in your own pool in a drink raft and lovin' life.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 PM

We bought a Villa with more than enough room for a pool but decided not to put one in. The community pools are the hub of our social life. We made all of our 30 friends there and often make plans for the week there. It really is a very social place.

I had a pool once and after the novelty wears off we hardly used it. It was a lot of work and greatly increased our utility bills. The deciding factor for us was while staying with family waiting for our home to be finished my sister-in-laws pool cracked from one end to the other lengthwise. There ground shift so sinkhole insurance did not cover the expense of repairing it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Having a pool is like having a boat. If you enjoy it then get one. If you worry about cost or the hassle of maintennance then forget it. BTW, you can have your own pool and go to the neighborhood pools also. But there's nothing like floating in your own pool in a drink raft and lovin' life.
I agree with you totally. If the cost is an issue then you should not consider a pool. I have had a pool before and never felt that it was too much work, and we maintained it ourselves. T&D will do it for under $100 a month, if not we might purchase a robot(which we had before) and with the salt chlorination, that is easy also.
We plan on going to the neighborhood pools when they have something going on. My main reason for putting in another pool is that we like to swim at night or early in the morning. I also believe we need and have rules to maintain the safety and beauty of TV, but I love the idea of my Grandchildren swimming in my pool with only Grandma's rules in effect. I have read some threads on this issue and it seems you can only play with certain approved toys which are noodles.
Lastly, love when its just adults and in a drink raft!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
. . . The deciding factor for us was while staying with family waiting for our home to be finished my sister-in-laws pool cracked from one end to the other lengthwise. There ground shift so sinkhole insurance did not cover the expense of repairing it.
I copied this and saved it in my 'Re-read if ever reconsidering about having a pool' file. Thanks, Vinny!

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default FSBO with pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I think I've decided what I'd like to do....probably buy a resale home...I'll look for a house that I love...if it has a pool..cool...if not c'est la vie! good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) thing is..we have a long time to decide!
This house has been on the Villages for sale by owner site for several months. 2/2 Stetson with pool - looks good in the pictures FWIW. Ed
http://www.thevillagesfsbo.com/1_256...w&listingID=80
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Gold member

Ed, thank you for the info. Unfortunately, we, at this time, are not ready to make any kind of move. We have to sell our home and then sell my husbands practice. We are going to be in TV next week to check everything out, hoping to get my husband to look forward to retirement. Wish us luck, hopefully we will be moving there in the not to distant future!

Trish
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Veteran member

We love our pool for "after hours" enjoyment but it won't keep us from the social aspect of neighborhood or CC pools. Our costs are minimal but they are still there.....

I just like taking a dip on hot days with or without shorts...... Only one rule in our pool NO GLASS other than that anything goes....

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
.....I just like taking a dip on hot days with or without shorts......
WHOA!! TMI.......

Bill
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Founder

We have had pools at all of our homes for the past 35 years. We love them and wouldn't be without a pool. It's a minimal amount of work, the water is crystal clear and inviting and we love to entertain around the pool. We swim everyday. I love to take care of the pool. It's a great source of pride for me to have an attractive, inviting, swimming pool for our family and guests.

"To each his own."

JLK
Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Default Home for sale with pool

What a great looking buy.....however if that was on the south side it would sell in a matter of days for $50,000 more! I think we are going to see this even more when the 3rd square opens. Properties on that side are older with lots of the owners being original owners and are getting along in years, and taking care of them self is hassle much less up keep on a home. The rec centers are getting dingy you can see the activities at those centers are really lacking. The Spanish spring square is dying,,, I was talking to a vendor the other night , he says his sales are 60-70% less at SS compared to LSL. Lots of real estate bargains coming on the north side as those folks pass on and the kids just want get rid of mom and dads "stuff"
Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.