Present or former motorcycle owners

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Default Present or former motorcycle owners

I have a knee replacement scheduled for the end of October. After rehab and the holidays Uptown Girl and I are putting our townhome on the market and plan on moving to TV. I presently have two motorcycles and plan on getting rid of one (probably the "louder" one). That got me to thinking if anyone decided after moving that they didn't want to or have the time to ride anymore for various reasons. Did anyone sell their motorcycle after moving? If so why? Did anyone sell before moving and now wish they hadn't?

Thanks for the info............
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I sold mine before moving after having to give first aid to another biker (he died) and almost getting t-boned twice the same week.
After riding and racing for over 40 years without an accident I decided it was time to quit while I was ahead.
My dad quit at 57, my mom quit at 53 and I quit at 58. My daughter is 4th generation as my mothers father had a belt drive H.D. in the twenties.
With all the distractions that drivers have now it just took the fun out of it for me.
I still have a mc endorsement ont my dl but would rather play with my golfcarts!

p.s. FMCDOC
We were very active in the American Veterans Motorcycle Riders (AVMRA) N.W. Indiana and the Worldwide Whimpy Whiney motorcycle breakfast club as well as The Many Horses Tribe of the Calumet Region.....we may have crossed paths along the line.

Last edited by otherbruddaDarrell; 09-29-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Sage

I ride and will until I can't. Many Villagers have gone to triking and I would go that route when I can no longer control my Goldwing. The Village Nomads have quite a few trikes and the Villages Wingers are probably 85% trikes.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM

hi doc ,i plan to be in tv in 2plus years .been riding for 40 years and cant wait to ride 8 plus month a year . the older we get the wiser we ride .everybody has a story ,some good ,some bad do what you feel. bring the bike if it doesn't work sell it.by the way i'm bring'ing the one with load pipes....... ski
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF Doc View Post
I have a knee replacement scheduled for the end of October. After rehab and the holidays Uptown Girl and I are putting our townhome on the market and plan on moving to TV. I presently have two motorcycles and plan on getting rid of one (probably the "louder" one). That got me to thinking if anyone decided after moving that they didn't want to or have the time to ride anymore for various reasons. Did anyone sell their motorcycle after moving? If so why? Did anyone sell before moving and now wish they hadn't?

Thanks for the info............
First, we don't live in TV - only get down there currently as vacation time allows. But we've had a bike in FL every year since '96 for a couple of weeks for Biketoberfest. We're skipping it this year - coming to TV instead!! Always ride over 1k miles in FL each year while at the event - riding everywhere, up and down the coast, over to Ocala sometimes, Lake Eustis area, etc. I'm disconcerted by the amount of black "dirt" (or "film" might be another way to describe it) that gets on the bike - and quickly. It's different than what we experience riding in OH. Also, some of the aluminum and plated parts get tarnished pretty darned quick as well, even though we keep the bike(s) really clean and polished/waxed. It's probably due, at least in part, to riding along the coastal areas more than anything. Some of it might be related to the higher humidity levels, too.

Regardless, the bottom line for us: We'll consider leaving our bike(s) at home when we get to the point of being able to make it to TV at least for the winters. There are so many other things to do there anyways!!

Just some more thoughts to ponder...........

Bill
Old 09-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I will take mine to TV when I move there full time. I will continue to ride as long as I am able. Yes there is lots to do in TV, but taking the bike out every few days is going to be one of them for me. I doubt I will ever go to a trike as that just doesn't seem like riding. The only reason to do that is the bike is to heavy to handle any longer. I would just go to a smaller lighter bike. Maybe a Piaggio which still provides the feel of a bike and the stability of a trike. I need to test drive one some day.

Currently I ride a Road King and it is a very heavy bike. (just over 800 pounds) And at my young age I do need to be aware when stopping the bike that I must maintain balance and keep the bike upright. If it tips it is very hard to hold. Legs not as strong as they used to be. But at least for now I will keep riding.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Default Thanks

I appreciate the comments. I guess nothing changes, you ride as long as you feel comfortable and are able to do it.

George
Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to PGB
Default Motorcycle

I wish I could say I ride my bike more...truth is I don't. Mostly because it's way to hot in the summer and we all know how hot Harley's run. Have not riden with the Nomads but once and that was before my bike was shipped here. Just haven't gotten real interested in riding with a group since I left VA and the HOG's there. Was a member for 10 years.
As far as selling mine...I should but don't have the heart. I know I will never have another one so I am hanging on to this one for now.
Wait before you sell and see how you like riding here. Then decide. Good luck on selling your house... you're gonna love it here!
Take care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.