Qualty vs price of house

Qualty vs price of house

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM

So much does depend on where you are coming from. My house up north is a 4 bedroom, 1.5 baths, 1800 sq feet and is worth $500,000. Just bought a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1450 sq feet Villa for 215,000. For us it was a great price and exactly what we wanted. Block construction and all looks good. Just sent a list of items for them to take care of but nothing major.

Not sure what you are thinking
Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Not sure what you are thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoroden View Post
Hello, Joe here from Shreveport, LA. My wife and I are exploring retirement locations in about 3 years. We have 8 kids between us and also 10 siblings. Thinking of central Florida so they will be enticed to visit us instead of mostly us traveling all over the country.

We are going to do a Lifestyle visit for the first time in May for 4 days. We are very interested in all the positives we have been reading about.

Our only concern so far is that the price per square foot and quality of homes via pictures are more expensive and lower quality than we are used to.

We have a $350k home near Bossier City, LA with 2700 sq fr, a huge kitchen with granite, 3 bedrooms, a large bonus room, 3.5 baths with granite in every one, a kitchen in backyard with granite, crown moldings everywhere. Seems like a similar home would be like $600-800K in The Villages.

For those already there, can you comment on quality and price of homes?

Thanks! Joe
We cannot possibly answer your question. You state you are retiring in three years. The world is your oyster. You need to make a choice. Actually assuming you can stay in your home in Bossier City

The lifestyle visit is a great idea-we did it three times before buying. Retiring, is a major step. You mention your wife. Might be productive for each of you to write down what you want.
I would, we did, write it down. That way neither of you are leading the other. Might be a surprise for both of you.

Price per square foot? There is what it costs in the area. If, you are not aware you would be shocked to compare cost per square foot in Bossier City, the Villages or most places to NYC or LA.

It is what it is. You have to decide is it worth it to you and what your budget is. Moving-you likely will not see old friends, favorite, restaurants, favorite fishing spots etc etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM

Gary, you are absolutely right. I was born and raised on Long Island where prices and taxes are high. My career in the chemical industry took me all over mostly the Gulf Coast where house prices and taxes were much lower.

So for you it is a bargain! For me, I cant get nearly the same house I am in without paying 30-40% more. We will downsize some.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:22 PM

Thanks TT!

There is no right or perfect answer. I was looking for dialogue and input. You make good points.

What I am finding out by everyone’s answers is that I am on the right track with the exploring process.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Just gathering input. I understand it is supply and demand. All the amenities, activities, etc look great, that is why we are looking there. I agree with the comment others only have 10% of the amenities. It seems the premium is built into the price of homes, and the bond payment and the amenity fee, which is a bargain. The higher home prices and bond are substantial. Once understood it becomes a choice.

I can understand why the developer is a billionaire!
Not yet Joe. You haven't been here yet. Prepare to be absolutely impressed.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Remember there could be a bond that you have to pay off that goes with the house in some parts of the village.
I think you will find a big attraction of the Villages is the Villages and that is what you pay for.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:43 PM

Already been covered in some detail but I add mine. My home in FL cost at least 75% more than same home here in Fayetteville, TN. The Villages sales pitch says it all; you are buying the lifestyle.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Gold member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Price is concrete, quality is in the eyes of the home buyer. For some it is living space, for others it is privacy, for others it is the lifestyle surrounding the home, etc..... Quality is so subjective.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hello, Joe here from Shreveport, LA. My wife and I are exploring retirement locations in about 3 years. We have 8 kids between us and also 10 siblings. Thinking of central Florida so they will be enticed to visit us instead of mostly us traveling all over the country.

We are going to do a Lifestyle visit for the first time in May for 4 days. We are very interested in all the positives we have been reading about.

Our only concern so far is that the price per square foot and quality of homes via pictures are more expensive and lower quality than we are used to.

We have a $350k home near Bossier City, LA with 2700 sq fr, a huge kitchen with granite, 3 bedrooms, a large bonus room, 3.5 baths with granite in every one, a kitchen in backyard with granite, crown moldings everywhere. Seems like a similar home would be like $600-800K in The Villages.

For those already there, can you comment on quality and price of homes?

Thanks! Joe
Joe, Someone posted that there are other 55 Plus communities within a short drive On Top of the World is one worth checking out. We were there today visiting a friend. They are building some beautiful homes and you get more bang for your buck there. The gotcha is the lifestyle here is much better. We looked at some places in ON Top of The World and thought WOW, sure more house for the dollar but the activities just don’t match what’s here in TV.

By the way have you ever had dinner at Ernest’s ? Good friend of mine Don Mason is an entertainer there.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 PM

JoeBoroden- you are not from Merrick are you?
Closed Thread

Tags
quality, price, homes, home, visit