Question regarding remaining lots

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Default Question regarding remaining lots

My husband and I would like to build a Cedar with a golf cart garage. We understand that TV is not releasing as many lots as they have, in the past; however, we are wondering if all/most of the 'standard' lots can accommodate a Cedar w/golf cart garage, or if we will be limited in our lot choices. Mind you, our budget will not allow for a golf course/lake view/corner lot....we are looking more for a standard lot. I have learned so much, from so many of you, that have successfully walked this path.....thank you for all the wonderful information. Enjoy another day in paradise, to all current Villagers. We hope to join you all, in the Spring/early Summer.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It appears as if more spec homes are being built now than in the recent past. If that is so, it is very likely that you will be able to find the model you want on a lot that is what you are looking for.

I say this only because only spec homes and NO build for people homes were offered in 2008 when we were looking for our first home here and there were good choices in a variety of upgrades and lots for the model we wanted. And that changed daily.

I don't know and I don't have up to date info.

Jimbo is the walking book on all of this!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Sage

A cedar needs a 70' wide rather than the std 60' to do a golf garage.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It appears as if more spec homes are being built now than in the recent past. If that is so, it is very likely that you will be able to find the model you want on a lot that is what you are looking for.

I say this only because only spec homes and NO build for people homes were offered in 2008 when we were looking for our first home here and there were good choices in a variety of upgrades and lots for the model we wanted. And that changed daily.

I don't know and I don't have up to date info.

Jimbo is the walking book on all of this!
Thanks, Gracie. Purchasing a spec could definitely be an option, but hubby is fixated on golf cart garage. I wonder if a GC garage can be added, post-build, or before a spec home is finished, as long as lot can accommodate? So many questions.........enjoy your day!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
A cedar needs a 70' wide rather than the std 60' to do a golf garage.
Thanks, Jimbo....I was hoping you were online, this morning, since you have been a wealth of information/knowledge. Hopefully, there will be enough 70' wide lots to choose from, when we are ready to take the plunge. We are waiting for my husband's company to make a decision on relocating us to FL (from NC). Tick-tock.....we are ready to roll into paradise!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenzie View Post
Thanks, Gracie. Purchasing a spec could definitely be an option, but hubby is fixated on golf cart garage. I wonder if a GC garage can be added, post-build, or before a spec home is finished, as long as lot can accommodate? So many questions.........enjoy your day!
I'd like to know the answer to this good question. The usual rule is: building something later with a private contractor is cheaper than including it in the original house.

Anyone confirmed that when adding a golf cart garage?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Sage

On major work like this I think the builder is less money from my research
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
On major work like this I think the builder is less money from my research
That is my opinion too. We have built many times and if you add space when building it is much less expensive than afterwards.

We added several feet to our garage for five thousand dollars and it has been well used for storage.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is my opinion too. We have built many times and if you add space when building it is much less expensive than afterwards.

We added several feel to our garage for five thousand dollars and it has been well used for storage.
Also, you do not need to deal with questionable contractors and any addition is under TV warranty.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

We wanted a Gardenia with a golf cart garage when we were building in 2010 and they only had 3 lots to pick from which all backed up to major streets so we gave up on the gc garage. We took a corner lot with a huge side yard and are constantly asked why we don't have a gc garage and it's because the corner lots on our loop have the underground utilities there which limit digging. We have a hydrant and a corner street drain in front of our house so make sure if it is a corner and may look huge that you are not limited. Very happy with our choice though. Love our neighborhood and glad we compromised.
Nancy
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenzie View Post
My husband and I would like to build a Cedar with a golf cart garage. We understand that TV is not releasing as many lots as they have, in the past; however, we are wondering if all/most of the 'standard' lots can accommodate a Cedar w/golf cart garage, or if we will be limited in our lot choices. Mind you, our budget will not allow for a golf course/lake view/corner lot....we are looking more for a standard lot. I have learned so much, from so many of you, that have successfully walked this path.....thank you for all the wonderful information. Enjoy another day in paradise, to all current Villagers. We hope to join you all, in the Spring/early Summer.
I'm sure others here can advise you better based on experience. However, I thought I'd share our experience and potential solution. We put a deposit on a lot last spring that we planned to build on this year. Although we knew our lot was not a golf cart lot, we chose a model that had an inside golf cart garage. We planned on stretching the house forward, back and sideways to enlarge some of the rooms. However, we learned recently that we cannot stretch sideways on our lot. So, we asked our sales rep to find us a new lot, and it has not been easy. The larger lots seem to be snatched up immediately, and like you, we will not pay the premium for a site lot. She's videotaped a number of spec homes, but each one is on a lot that is either smaller, noisier, or more expensive than we're willing to pay. Consequently, we are more convinced in the value of the lot we already have, so we're considering two options: foregoing a side stretch or choosing a different model. Right now, I'm more inclined to change the model, and have become even excited with my new choice. I know I'll be happy in TV, so I'm making the best of the situation. From my vantage point, each model has its unique features. I just think that finding a lot and designing what you want has become more challenging this winter, with TV buying and building so many specs.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:58 PM

What model has you decided on or are leaning towards? We ran into the same problem with our initial lot choice as well
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Default Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnc22 View Post
What model has you decided on or are leaning towards? We ran into the same problem with our initial lot choice as well
We were planning on building a Begonia, but wanted to stretch the bedrooms. Since we have not found a lot that we like as much and/or could afford, we may be keeping our lot and changing the model we build. Since we don't plan on going to design until April, we still have time to explore all our options.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Sage

There will be several new units open by then, U can change your lot the last minute.

Example 213 has about 30 house built on spec, when they are done that will open.

Another group on 44a near brownwood has over 50 up

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.