Questions About Lifestyle Visit

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Default Questions About Lifestyle Visit

I have been looking extensively into the Villages for quite a while now and really want to visit and feel it is a great place for retirees. My DH has agreed to do a lifestyle visit. Because I really want to buy a winter home there, I want to make our lifestyle visit interesting and fun so I can get him onboard. All I have read about LS visits is people driving around in a golf cart trying to figure out the lay of the land and visiting the different areas and rec centers, etc. I am wondering if I can set up things beforehand or even when we get there. We don't golf but my husband goes to the gym 6 days a week so would like to visit a state of the art gym. He loves music, so I am sure the nightly concerts would be great. He especially likes doo wop music if that makes a difference. I would be interested in trying out pickle ball. We have never played but are in good shape but I don't know how you go about it. Do you make reservations? I heard that it is very competitive but are there just pickup games for beginners? He's not a swimmer but I love water aerobics. Bocce sounds fun too. Bike riding sounds great also. I know there are many clubs but with only a one week visit, probably not doable or practical. We are coming in early December if that makes a difference in the activities. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my post and I am looking forward to visiting the Villages and ultimately buying a home there.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

If I recall correctly, our lifestyle house had bikes in the garage
We don't golf either. We used the golf cart to check out the scenery, go to breakfast, etc. The Villages app shows events/ activities for each rec center.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,244 Posts

Your Rep can arrange activities like intro to pickleball, gym, water aerobics, concerts at the Sharon, etc.

Last edited by Altavia; 08-28-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I sent you a PM, with info
Old 08-28-2022, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

While it may be a tad too early to plan things out for a December Lifestyle visit, I would recommend you peruse and become familiar with the Recreation Department's website. (VCDD Rec News). You can use it to determine what activities you want and where they may be held. That way you can map out how far it is from your Lifestyle visit location (which I assume will be the CYV cabanas near Brownwood Paddock Square and the Brownwood Hotel & Spa).

The gym/weight rooms of the Rec Centers are an additional membership fee, so they may or may not be available to you on a Lifestyle visit. The closest to Brownwood are probably Ezell and Fenney (Village Community Development Districts). Coordinate with your Villages Sales Agent. I recommend Sarah Hudson (352-396-2106) or Joe Robinson (352-644-3436).

Also, if the gym is that important, inquire about guest passes at the gym located on the edge of Brownwood Paddock Square, they offer a three-day guest pass on their website (The Villages Brownwood- Genesis Health Clubs Florida).

As far as the nightly music in the Squares, you might keep this link handy for when they get scheduled: Nightly Entertainment - The Villages Entertainment

We had a GREAT time on our LifeStye visit. We are not big golfers, so it really cemented the allure of The Villages for us in that there were plenty of other activities and events to enjoy. The accommodations were outstanding and a real value, the price for what you got (a fully furnished three bedroom house) was very helpful. We really ended up just downloading the Villages GPS app and tooling around on the golf cart all over the place to become accustomed to the offerings (BPS, LSL, Edna's, etc.).

Hope all this helps.

P.S. - Check out this link also: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/10419946/

EDJ
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 08-28-2022 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added VSA contacts
Old 08-28-2022, 09:17 AM

Thank you so much!! I will be sure to download the app.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:31 AM
Sage

Also plan to visit some open houses throughout the Villages on you own.

Going on you own can be a good way to meet other Rep's you may"click" with.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Consider renting for a winter.
Remember there is a difference between being on vacation in a place or living there. Grocery shopping, doctores etc.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Consider renting for a winter.
Remember there is a difference between being on vacation in a place or living there. Grocery shopping, doctores etc.
Another side of The Villages, how it is run and who does the running.
Lot of info here,
Village Community Development Districts
Old 08-28-2022, 10:42 AM

Oh, that's a great idea. I am interested in a Courtyard Villa pre-owned. I like to be where it's busy so thinking between 466 and 466A. Not interested in new construction down south. (never know if it could end up as famous last words, lol).
Old 08-28-2022, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela1130 View Post
Oh, that's a great idea. I am interested in a Courtyard Villa pre-owned. I like to be where it's busy so thinking between 466 and 466A. Not interested in new construction down south. (never know if it could end up as famous last words, lol).
Nicer homes/locations sell quickly so establishing a relationship with a Rep and/or Realtor is important.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
My advice to you is -

The day before you get to the Villages, check The Villages Homefinder webpage. Zone in on the area between 466 and 466A, and filter it for Courtyard Villas.

Pick at least two that are a) still available for sale, which you can tell because there's an actual price on the listing and b) in your budget.

Then call the sales rep assigned to you, and tell him you'd like to see those specific homes, and you'd like to schedule them close together on the same day. So - say - 10am on a Tuesday for one, and then 11:30 for the second one.

This will give you time to roam around the area, see the actual neighborhoods they're in, and even see what's nearby, in golf cart distance that would interest you. It'd give you time to see THOSE rec centers and pools.

You'll be assigned a lifestyle property south of there, and the drive by golf cart could be anywhere between 15 minutes and 40 minutes, depending on where your lifestyle property is in comparison to the neighborhoods you want to check out.

The good news, is it'll be after breakfast, and you can have a late lunch at whatever shopping plaza or town square is nearest the second of those homes you check out.

For vacation, my advice would be completely different. But for an actual lifestyle visit, where you're looking to see if this is a community you'd want to actually live in, you need to look at the neighborhoods and their proximity to the activities you are most interested in. You'll also need to look at the facilities that host those activities, and see if it's a liveable match for those interests.

For instance - if you have a dog, you might prefer to be closer to a dog park, rather than closer to a supermarket. If you have medical needs, you might want to be closer to the hospital instead of prioritizing the proximity to the nearest archery range, even if you like archery.

It will help to actually try and drive these distances with a golf cart because - even though you don't play golf, it is an incredibly convenient mode of transportation. You will very rarely ever have to deal with traffic lights - and each of those lights can take 5 minutes. It takes me less time to take my golf cart to Spanish Springs town square than it does for me to drive my car. And infinitely less frustration. Sometimes the guy ahead of you just doesn't want to move until the light turns orange and when it's your turn, you're stuck behind the red light. Again. So that's 7-10 minutes for just one single traffic light, and the Square is only 1.5 miles away from home.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:06 PM
Veteran member

TV Christmas parade at the POLO Fields is Dec 10th. You get to see many of the different clubs in TV that might pique your interest. districtgov.org Click on the various departments but especially recreation. Then click the various choices like socials, etc. to get more info.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:34 PM

Yes, I want to do that but need to at least see the place first. Most people who rent their houses want a 3 month commitment and even that is scare to get. I agree that it is advisable.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, I want to do that but need to at least see the place first. Most people who rent their houses want a 3 month commitment and even that is scare to get. I agree that it is advisable.
Check out Vacation Rental By Owner website and specify The Villages for the location. There are rentals available for shorter periods. You can specify your dates and when viewing the properties , and see the rental availability for each property. Here you are also renting mostly from the property owners so the fees usually are more reasonable without a 3rd party involved.

Last edited by Badger 2006; 08-28-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
visit, great, lifestyle, read, sounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.