Are Re-manufactured Carts Really... Re-manufactured?

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2023, 09:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,073 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Sure...anyone can buy Yamaha parts, but they will pay retail for them. Only an Authorized Yamaha dealer can perform warranty service on a Yamaha cart. So, while the discount dealer may offer a warranty, it is not a factory warranty, and any parts required will come out of their pocket. Easy to understand why they will not use OEM parts, when they can obtain aftermarket parts cheaper.
Very few parts on Yamaha Golf carts (or any manufacturers' golf carts) are produced directly by the "brand". In many cases, you can buy "after-market" parts that are the exact same product (without the brand's name on it), for significantly less money. If you insist on products with the brand's name on it, you can buy them for significantly less than "retail price".

Golf carts are a commodity product and they're all essentially the same and haven't been significantly improved since they went from having 3 wheels, to 4 wheels. About the only improvement in the last 10-15 years, have been fuel injection & Lithium Batteries. Other than that, the cart you buy today is not much different than the cart you could have bought in 2005.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:49 AM

Take a look at Nobles Golf Carts in Leesburg. Bought a remanufactured cart from them in 2011 and it has been great. Got to pick almost everything out on the cart including motor and controller.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,793 Times in 3,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
About the only improvement in the last 10-15 years, have been fuel injection & Lithium Batteries. Other than that, the cart you buy today is not much different than the cart you could have bought in 2005.
The suspension.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 327 Posts

If still amazes me that the price of new golf carts here are about 80% of the price of a brand new small actual CAR. A car with all the safety features windows brakes air bags etc etc etc. case in point a Nissan Sentra for Base Price: $20,635
Fuel Economy EPA combined/city/highway: 33/29/39 mpg
Warranty: 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain and 3-year/36,000-mile limited warranty.

The profit margin on golf carts has to be huge. And +++++ for retailers that sell to us here in TV. Laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Any kind of personal transportation are going to start being very expensive to buy or stay home! I don’t know but someone is forcing this on us. Even if someone tries to or does have a solution to get the prices down it won’t be over night, it’ll take several yrs. I think the president holds the key to that but I don’t think he’s intending to do that & I don’t understand why. Does anyone know?
Old 02-04-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We are bristling at the idea of paying $18,000 for a golf cart. We're aware of a large dealer who sells only 'Re-manufactured' carts for about 2/3 that price.

How does a customer know if the cart is really Re-manufactured and not just a shined up used cart. What exactly is done to Re-manufactured a cart, and who does it- factory or dealer

Any feedback on if you are happy with yours is welcome.

Thanks!!!
If you get a re-manufactured cart, go thru the Villages golf car store. Just my opinion. Have heard some bad stories about the discount store
Old 02-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Default Check Prices With Nearby Dealers Who Deliver

Quote:
Will an out of town dealer deliver to TV? And just how far out of town can we expect a delivery?
We bought a new Yamaha from Country Power in Webster. It is a Yamaha dealer. The price was several thousands less than Village Carts and only a few dollars more than what Village Discount charges for a rebuilt cart.

Country Power delivered the cart and picked it up and returned it for its first service. Subsequent services have been performed at our house. Country says it is a rare day that they do not have a serviceman working in The Villages.

It's a nice drive to Webster. The Country Power store is an old grain warehouse and it's worth the trip to see the building. The saleswoman was very pleasant and was very patient as we pored over her catalogues and samples when choosing options and colors. Country makes their cart enclosures and the workmanship was exceptional. If interested, you can combine the trip to the Webster Market which is directly across the street from Country Power.

My regular golf partner bought his new Yamaha at the dealer in Ocala. He paid much the same price I paid at Country. His cart was delivered to The Villages and he is equally happy with the cart and the service.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
All things remanufactured have one thing in common. They are NOT new. So--depending on how thorough the "remanufacture" was, you could just be buying someone else's problems with a little cosmetic cover-up.

Depends on what one is looking for, I guess. We bought a 2013 Yamaha from The Villages Discount Golf Cars for $6,000 two years ago. Regular six-month maintenance and it hasn't skipped a beat despite daily usage. Suits us just fine.
We did the same. Very happy with The Villages Discount Golf Carts.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:44 PM

Not happy with Villages Discount Golf Cars....clutch belt went 2nd year, windshield cracked 2nd year, cart rattles, loose bolts thruout, light switch fell off, but worst thing was the ultra "friendly" salesperson could not be bothered to talk to me when I asked about these problems later on.... And none of it covered by their "famous" 5 year warranty. Would not recommend.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The best mechanics are not reconditioning Golf Carts. Keep that in mind. We have three sets of friends who all purchased reconditioned carts. They were so happy. The carts looked new. Only one of the three worked out well. One of them convinced the "dealer" to give them credit the other had to lawyer up. The average for the three carts was just shy of $12,000 each. Wowser!

We paid $9000 out the door for a 2016 Yamaha Gas Cart with a Carberator, not fuel injected and somehow we survived. I love that stupid cart. It's in pristine shape and I could probably get back what I paid for it but have no interest in doing so.

Good luck to the OP. If I were you I'd bite the Bullet and go new.

Last edited by Nucky; 02-04-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I’ve read several responses and they seem to range from opinion to people just making stuff up. If you want to know exactly what is done to a cart, ask the people that you’re buying if from. They will be happy to tell you everything that they have done to it. I’ve never bought one myself but I have several friends who and they are all happy with them. BTW $18,000 isn’t even on the high end of golf carts today. One lithium powered cart starts at $25,000
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:58 PM

You can actually go to The Villages Golf Carts build shop off highway 44 and see exactly what gets done to make their carts remanufactured. Quite impressive actually. I can't imagine that anyone, anywhere does it better than they do.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
We are bristling at the idea of paying $18,000 for a golf cart. We're aware of a large dealer who sells only 'Re-manufactured' carts for about 2/3 that price.

How does a customer know if the cart is really Re-manufactured and not just a shined up used cart. What exactly is done to Re-manufactured a cart, and who does it- factory or dealer

Any feedback on if you are happy with yours is welcome.

Thanks!!!
You can actually go to The Villages Golf Carts build shop off highway 44 and see exactly what gets done to make their carts remanufactured. Quite impressive actually. I can't imagine that anyone, anywhere does it better than they do.
Old 03-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Default Carts & Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
My understanding is the only thing they can’t do is sell current year models as The Village cart store is the only place to get a brand new one but everything else is a go.
Carts & Clubs in Ocala sells new several grand below what the villages does. They come to your location (home) to service the cart.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

I can imagine the beating some of these remanufactured carts took in their short lifetime. Not all cart paths are as smooth as they are in The Villages. Was the oil changed at all when they were leased to the course? Maybe. Maybe not.
Closed Thread

Tags
re-manufactured, cart, dealer, carts, shined

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.