Restaurants that allow dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2023, 09:54 AM
Default Restaurants that allow dogs

We will be coming to TV in October with our little dog and would like to know which restaurants allow doggies
Old 08-06-2023, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
We will be coming to TV in October with our little dog and would like to know which restaurants allow doggies
Most restaurants have outdoor areas, where leashed dogs that stay beside their owner or under the table are welcome.

Most diners would be happy to know that you make use of those outdoor areas.

Also remember that "allow" is not the same as "welcome."
Old 08-06-2023, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Prepare for "differring" opinions on dogs at restaurants...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 08-06-2023, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Hopefully, none of them "welcome" dogs inside. I love dogs, but I don't believe they belong where folks eat, just like I don't believe they should be allowed in grocery stores. Of course, like everything else there are exceptions to those type of rules, ie. guide dogs for the blind.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

FL - Restaurant - 509.233. Public food service establishment requirements; local exemption for dogs | Animal Legal & Historical Center

Summary: Florida was one of the first states to enact a law on dogs in restaurants in 2006. The law allows a local unit of government to adopt an ordinance that acts as an exemption to the state's Food and Drug Administration Food Code. Once the local exemption is passed, a restaurant can apply for a permit to allow dogs in the outdoor dining spaces. Certain things must be included in the ordinance such as a requirement that staff wash after touching pets, a rule that patrons keep dogs on leashes and under control, a prohibition against dogs on chairs, tables, or other furnishings, signs that list the rules for employees and patrons, and a clean-up station in the outdoor dining area. There are also reporting requirements by the local governments to the State of Florida under the law. The city or county must also have a system in place to document and respond to complaints.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

I noticed there are signs at Reville in Magnolia plaza and City Fire in Sumter that dogs are not allowed even outside. Before I would assume they all allowed dogs outside, but now I’m not sure which ones do.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hopefully, none of them "welcome" dogs inside. I love dogs, but I don't believe they belong where folks eat, just like I don't believe they should be allowed in grocery stores. Of course, like everything else there are exceptions to those type of rules, ie. guide dogs for the blind.
I have always had Labs, love dogs, but I will not eat in a restaurant that allows dogs inside. I'm OK with them on the patio, etc., but not inside.

I don't want to see them in stores, especially food stores. I was in Lowes check out line a while ago when the woman in front of me had a very pretty small dog in her cart and it peed through the cart onto the floor and I got splashed, I was beyond PO'd.

However, if you are sight impaired and need a fully professionally trained dog, that is fine with me. If you are in a wheelchair and need a fully trained working dog to help you get through life, I'm fine with that. I have been on cruises and seen dogs trained to support PTS and Wounded Warriors patients and I have no problem with that.

But I have no time for people with "comfort" dogs that insist on taking them everywhere.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I noticed there are signs at Reville in Magnolia plaza and City Fire in Sumter that dogs are not allowed even outside. Before I would assume they all allowed dogs outside, but now I’m not sure which ones do.
Are you sure the signs say that dogs are not allowed? I thought that, according to Federal law, service dogs are allowed in any public place. A business can ban pets, but I don't think they can ban service dogs.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

There is more in Florida law than the citation above including: [my bold]

2. Patrons in a designated outdoor area shall be advised that they should wash their hands before eating. Waterless hand sanitizer shall be provided at all tables in the designated outdoor area.

3. Employees and patrons shall be instructed that they shall not allow dogs to come into contact with serving dishes, utensils, tableware, linens, paper products, or any other items involved in food service operations.

4. Patrons shall keep their dogs on a leash at all times and shall keep their dogs under reasonable control.

5. Dogs shall not be allowed on chairs, tables, or other furnishings.

6. All table and chair surfaces shall be cleaned and sanitized with an approved product between seating of patrons. Spilled food and drink shall be removed from the floor or ground between seating of patrons.

Tell me, has anyone here ever seen waterless cleaner on each table in the outdoor area? Didn't think so.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Are you sure the signs say that dogs are not allowed? I thought that, according to Federal law, service dogs are allowed in any public place. A business can ban pets, but I don't think they can ban service dogs.
The sign has an exception for Service dogs..
Old 08-06-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Unless your dog is a Support Animal it has no business ANYWHERE the public gathers to eat. Your love of your dog does not change the fact that animals are not allowed in eateries for good reason.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Duplicate post

Last edited by thelegges; 08-06-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Unless your dog is a Support Animal it has no business ANYWHERE the public gathers to eat. Your love of your dog does not change the fact that animals are not allowed in eateries for good reason.
Service Dogs YES…support animals don’t need to be in a business, and can be denied entry if owner so chooses.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:36 PM

We have a dog and have never taken her to a regular restaurant but I do know they allow them on the patio at World of Beer in Brownwood. I think they even have or had a few meals for dogs.

We do take our dog to Edna's on the Green and have lunch every once in a while. We bring our own chairs and try to sit away from people as we know not everyone is happy to have dogs around where they eat.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
OP, here is the truth. Even if a restaurant allows dogs, you will not make a lot of friends by bringing a dog to a restaurant in The Villages. And, restaurants that technically do not allow non-service dogs, will be reluctant to question you about the dog because the Federal ADA law is very limited about enforcing the "service" dog rules, and they are afraid of being sued. So, if you don't care about what people think, you can take the dog anywhere you want and, if someone asks, just say that your dog is a service animal, and it won't make any difference what their rules are.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, dog, october, coming, dogs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.