Safety in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Question Safety in The Villages

Hi, I was wondering how strict are they at the gates in allowing people in The Villages. I read a while back that they had some problems with teenagers after dark at Spanish Springs. Are these teenagers from The Villages or they from outside and if from outside, how did they get in? Can people sneak into The Villages and are the gates manned 24 hours a day?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Dont be to surprised the gates really dont mean anything push the magic red button and open the gate goes. But really in the village areas not much ever happens. If you see something happen in the squares do something about it just like anywhere else. I have chased kids out where they shouldnt be and call the police. If you let go it gets out of hand,you take charge or control and dont back down.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,512 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The squares are public places with non restricted roads leading to them. Anyone can visit the squares.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to lavendera1

I have police & neighborhood watch in my phone and use it often..I don't play with the kids.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm99 View Post

I read a while back that they had some problems with teenagers after dark at Spanish Springs. Are these teenagers from The Villages or they from outside and if from outside, how did they get in?
The Villages is not a gated community. Non residents are readily allowed through the gates of most communities. Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter Landing are both open to the public. Many teenagers attend the movie theatres. Most roads are public roads, owned by the county and not by The Villages.

There are many teenagers who attend the Village Charter Schools. And who are visiting their grandparents. They use the library after school, and the restaurants and stores. Which they are perfectly within their rights to do.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Your concern seems to be personal safety. TV is probably one of the safest places you can live, but NO PLACE is 100% safe. Our crime rates are probably much lower than average but we have golf cart thefts, vandalism on golf courses, DUI's, sometimes a break in, all the problems any community of 70,000 residents will have. For the most part, our roads are public roads. The gates monitor and slow access but do not stop anyone who wants access because they are public roads, open to the public. Most businesses on both squares depend on non-TV residents for patronage. Both squares are not only open to the public, the public is encouraged to come there and spend their money in TV. Don't get the idea that TV is a "gated" community because it is not. We have gates that monitor access only.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Gold member

The roads in The Villages are public access. The gatehouse attendants cannot deny access to a public road. The gates serve no purpose for restriction of entrance. They control speed, provide direction and record who enters by photo. Attendents can report suspicious activity but cannot tell someone they cannot enter (a public road).

Exception--> Village of Hickory Hammock
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.