Scam, but what's the angle

Old 04-16-2024, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Looks like they are playing the long game that they can benefit from in the long run. Like said above.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with above, now I would go a step further and contact the police, since this was sent through the mail it is now a federal offence and this could actually get the FBI involved. In any case, do not do anything with the check, except turning it over to the police.
The appropriate course would be to report it to the Postal Inspector. We had a scam letter that had most of our home purchase information on it. There were a couple mistakes I caught. I saw another person at our mailboxes with the same letter, except her home information. After determining it was a scam I took it to the Okahumpka post office. The person there made a copy to give to the postal inspector. Most fraud via USPS is handled by the postal inspector. You could also report it online United States Postal Inspection Service
Old 04-16-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAugustine View Post
Today I received what appeared to be a returned piece of mail. It was returned because of lack of postage. It had my name and address on the return address. However, I never sent it.

The mail contained what appears to be a cashier's check made out to an individual in The Bronx, NY.

The amount of postage for this envelope was $1.10, but it was returned for insufficient postage. The postage said that $6.50 was needed to get this package that I received to a person I don't know.

I'm almost positive this is a scam. What I'm wondering is what is the scammer's angle? How are they going to make money?

Any input would be appreciated.

Best
put it through the shredder.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Today I received what appeared to be a returned piece of mail. It was returned because of lack of postage. It had my name and address on the return address. However, I never sent it.

The mail contained what appears to be a cashier's check made out to an individual in The Bronx, NY.

The amount of postage for this envelope was $1.10, but it was returned for insufficient postage. The postage said that $6.50 was needed to get this package that I received to a person I don't know.

I'm almost positive this is a scam. What I'm wondering is what is the scammer's angle? How are they going to make money?

Best
Throw it back in the mailbox with a note saying wrong address return to sender
Old 04-16-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,761 Times in 5,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle123 View Post
Throw it back in the mailbox with a note saying wrong address return to sender
LOL. According to the letter, the OP was the sender, so it would come right back to the OP.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:10 AM
Default do

give to the post office I think they have their own police
Old 04-16-2024, 09:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,207 Times in 762 Posts

As above, give it to the postmaster
Old 04-16-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deden View Post
Call Post Office! Postal inspector will investigate!!! And trace it!!!!!
That would be a more appropriate action than giving to the cops. I’d call the inspectors first.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Best
Other than yours, I haven't read all the posts. I treat something like this the same as an unknown caller on my phone...if it's not in my contacts and it's important, it goes to v mail or a txt is sent as a follow up (otherwise its in spam/blocked). If you know its not something you participated in, put it right in the shredder.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with above, now I would go a step further and contact the police, since this was sent through the mail it is now a federal offence and this could actually get the FBI involved. In any case, do not do anything with the check, except turning it over to the police.
Call the postal inspectors not the FBI or local cops.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=MidWestIA;2322029]give to the post office I think they have their own police[/QUOTE

They are feds just like FBI and are called Postal Inspectors. The Tampa office covers here.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,341 Times in 2,065 Posts

If this was in the Villages the postal stations of the Villages are manned by contracted workers. You should call the appropriate USPS inspector. Think someone else wrote our area is covered by the Tampa office.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:44 PM

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service investigates mail fraud, not the FBI. If you are not sure, ask the local police. They can probably tell you to whom to report it.

The Secret Service investigates financial crimes.

I guess the most likely crime that you might encounter that would be handled by the FBI is kidnapping.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:24 AM

Just the first step in a series to either gather info from you, earn your trust and/or try to get money from you. It could go in multiple directions. Either turn it into USPS or destroy it and forget about it.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:44 AM
Default Take to your Post Office immediately.

They will want to get Postal Inspectors involved immediately. Speak directly with Postmaster/Supervisor.

Quote:

Best

Tags
postage, returned, address, scam, received

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.