screened garages

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Default screened garages

Until we started looking at TV houses on the internet we had never seen screened garages before. What is the purpose of having them?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: screened garages

We have a courtyard villa with laundry facilities in the garage. I love our screens because they keep the garage much cooler and it just feels open and airy. Just before we bought we rented a place that had garage screens and we kept the garage doors open there also.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

seems to be a florida thing, and they're interesting.
another option might be to get a solar fan, I hear that keeps the attic and garage cool
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Mike:

Screened garages and finishing the garage floor and installing quite nice cabinets is a new thing to me too. It is all part of what I call (play weird music) THE STEPFORD MEN OF THE VILLAGES.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I too questioned garage screens but after installing them I can say they are great, as others have said they keep the garage a lot cooler, give it an open airy feel and you don't have to open the garage door every time you go in and out.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

we had one installed because of the heat in the garage. Really makes a difference--keeps it much cooler. You will notice some residents keep their garage doors open a little but with the screen you don't have to worry about bugs, etc., coming in. (especially the love-bugs) We got the one that slides sideways to open-- not roll up like a garage door---that way we can go in and out without opening the full screen.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Gold member

How much do they cost?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have a 2 car garage and the screens slide sideways, as I recall it was around $750. Call Thumper at 352 342 7809, he installed ours and he'll give you a free estimate and you don't pay until he's done and you're happy. We like ours a lot.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:22 PM

We love our garage screen door...stays cooler and lets in the light and breeze. Ours retracts below the garage door and works great.

As to depends on what kind of opening you have...ours is arched, so the type we bought works best (my opinion). Sliders made opening too low; retractable was most expensive in our application because they would have had to do a lot of work to fit the header.

For the kind I have was about $2200 including remotes. Retractable was estimated at $2500. Slider was $900.

Ours is a standard size two car garage.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

Our garage door screen was around $750.00---We decided on the type that opens sideways as I stated. There is no noticeable decrease in the size of the garage opening. No problem getting in and out and we have a Dodge Grand Caravan. We use the garage numerous times during the day going in and out to do yard work,etc., and do not have to use the garage door motor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.