Should we sell all our furniture?

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default depends

... it will depend on each person. We did a little of both, brought and bought!!!

One thing to consider is if you will change your style or not. I wanted more of a Florida style (light and bright) so brought only what I thought would fit with that.

Many folks that I know brought all their house from up north and like their northern style down here.

Another consideration is that the cost of new furniture is very expensive too sooo keep that in mind. Moving is also expensive but we did our own pack and move kind of thing.

Also one should consider that the rooms generally are on the smallish side so keep in mind the scale (size) of your furniture. It might fit but be too large in scale to look like it fits in the room.

I put a king size bed in our guest room and it really is too large but I like that my son-in-law (a giant of a man) feels comfortable in it sooo you see it will depend on your needs.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Sell furniture?

I wish I had. It costs more to move it than it does to replace it. Additionally, it is usually pretty "heavy" for Florida.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I brought some of my smaller pieces that were important to me. I left behind some pieces that I truly loved but knew they wouldn't fit into the smaller homes here. I still miss my wall unit but no way would it have fit. My taste is very not "Floridian" (contemporary/oriental). Even though I've been unable to redecorate in my style, I don't regret leaving my furniture in California. It fit there. It wouldn't have fit here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 PM

Oh how I wished we had sold all of our furniture. Best thing to do.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
deestatham

I just want to thank all of you for helping my husband and I make the decision to sell all our furniture. We really think it is the best move. See all of you in September if this house sells!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:01 AM

We had a large sale back home in upstate NY then brought only those great antique furniture items we most loved. We bought WONDERFUL furniture here at estate/garage/consignment sales at very low prices. Wouldn't do it any other way. Many people bring their best and then need to sell their homes here for health or other reasons. So LOTS of great stuff available to buy.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I used to work with a guy that told me when a moving truck pulled into his neighborhood and started unloading he could tell by the furniture if they came from up north..........all dark drab colors.
Shimpy!

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-22-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

I agree with the SELLING formula. Sold on our own everything but our master BR and TV and two Camp Chairs.
Reduced Moving costs dramatically. Had to rent at first so it only took a small storage locker. Once we bought it was a piece of cake to have local movers (Village Movers) move little bit of furniture to new home.
Then let the shopping begin!

LOVE it HERE!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage

Out take was that coming from upstate NY we had heavy, dark furniture to fit with where we lived. We knew that when we moved to sunny Florida we wanted to buy lighter furniture, both in color an design. We sold then entire contense of our home, except for a few large TV's we had, and we completely started over. It was the best choice for us. I have seen some homes decorated in dark, heavy furniture and I think it's just a matter of your style. If you plan on decorating the same way as where you currently live then get a moving truck and haul it here. But, it feels so good to start new. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 AM
deestatham

I agree. My husband and I are moving to TV in September and have decided to SELL EVERYTHING. We got a quote to move everything and decided we didn't want to spend all that money. We've had our furniture for 34 years and its time to start over. We're renting a furnished house for a year and will decide in that time what we want to do next. Its a GREAT feeling to start over at this age.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
if you love your stuff, keep it. otherwise, sell it and get new stuff...but i don't agree that good quality dark furniture does not fit into a florida home...i get sick of seeing palm tree fabrics etc which tell nothing about the real design taste of the owner. it is good to be different if you can do it with flair
Couldn't agree with you more! We brought most of our stuff because we liked it and didn't want to invest in newer furniture right away, it wasn't a priority. Our new bedroom set is white and has an open airy beach feel but the rest of our house has darker furniture, I was so over light oak and wanted a rich warm feel in my home, so the main room has a Italian Tuscan feel to it. Thats us and our taste being in Florida doesn't mean everything has to look "Floridian" do what pleases you and makes you happy and makes it "your" home not everyone else's.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
We're getting ready to move from Maryland to TV and have a question for the more seasoned Villagers: Did you sell all your furniture or did you move/store it? We're thinking of selling most of what we have and having a decorator furnish a new home for us. Don't think our stuff here in Maryland will look good in TV. And storing it would cost a lot if we decided to just sell it on the other end. Just wondering what most of you did. For the first year, we are renting a furnished home to see if we like TV. Any wisdom you can share is greatiy appreciated. Looking to be in TV by September if all goes well with selling our house.
I think it really depends on how much you like your stuff! In my case, I have had some of mine for so long that i'm getting tired of it. I don't have a strong sense of connection to it and none are family heirlooms. So when I get moved down there I am hoping to start fresh and probably go in a different direction, decorating-wise. But if you have inherited precious family pieces or really love what you have, it may be worth keeping. Like others have said, I have seen many different styles of decorating in TV homes and one is just as lovely as the next. Do what pleases you! But you may want to take into consideration as you said, the cost to store it (not to mention the cost to ship it) and then if you don't keep it, you will have to unload it and probably won't get much of a return for it in Florida. So I would take that monetary factor into account also. Good luck with your decision and the sale of your house!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
I just want to thank all of you for helping my husband and I make the decision to sell all our furniture. We really think it is the best move. See all of you in September if this house sells!
Oops......sorry. See what happens when you take shortcuts and don't read until the end of the thread. Well, one decision down and many more to come, but it's an exciting time. Best wishes to you and hope we'll be saying "Welcome to The Villages" real soon!!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:56 PM

We sold most of our stuff before we move here and found out that we did not sell enough. Keeping your treasures is probably mandatory but large furniture is expensive to ship and our sustained mover damage which gave us a headache that we did not need. It is a tough decision but this is a different climate and you will need furniture and stuff that will fit your new home.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Sage

Yes
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.