From Small Town

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Question From Small Town

Is there much of a culture shock coming from a small town to TV? I grew up in a small city about the size of TV, but have lived the last 15 years in a small rural town. I will be here until I retire. Will there be much of an adjustment coming from a small town to TV?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Yes. Whereever you are coming from, this place is a delightful adjustment.

Each time I return, I had forgotten just how lovely, comfortable, pretty, friendly it is!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Sage

I don't think you'll suffer from culture shock, this community, though large, does have a small town feel.
The neighborhoods are pretty, all of them, and traffic within the neighborhoods isn't too bad. More golf carts than cars some days.

If you had lots of land around your home, you might find the closeness of homes a bit bothersome at first, but that soon fades. People become friends very quickly and soon you're busy enjoying your retirement without thinking twice about it.

There are the town squares with shops and entertainment, but most of the larger stores, like department stores, hardware stores, etc surround the community.

Come, enjoy, you'll like it!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18togo View Post
Is there much of a culture shock coming from a small town to TV? I grew up in a small city about the size of TV, but have lived the last 15 years in a small rural town. I will be here until I retire. Will there be much of an adjustment coming from a small town to TV?
There was for me.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18togo View Post
Not at all. Each Villages is a very small community.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Default Thanks for your responses

I still have a few years to go until retirement. But once I retire, I plan to stay as far away from Pennsylvania winters as I can, hopefully snowbirding it from December or January through April. PA is great May - December, but winters are long, cold and snowy.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Veteran member

I was wondering the same thing I8togo. I lived in a small city, then moved to a small rural town. I live on 28 acres with no one in sight but the animals hehe. Now that the days are getting closer to moving to TV, when I look out of the windows (especially at night hehe) I picture myself living in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of friends all around me, and I cant wait. I know it will be an adjustment, but I am gladly trading the cold winters up here on this mountain for sun shine and great friends!
I have a feeling we will adjust very quickly to the change, for me it might be overnight hehe
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

We've lived here three years, and my spouse has still not adjusted to the lack of space. We used to live on large acreage as well.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Default It's amazing how accustomed you become to small town life.

When I first moved to my small town, I couldn't wait to get back to my hometown, which is a small city. I tried several times to find a job back there, but couldn't. After 5 or 6 years, it got to the point where I enjoyed being in the small town, less traffic, everyone knows you, etc. When I go back to visit my parents or sister, while I enjoy being there, I have to mentally prepare myself to be in that "city" mindset. I still get harassed (read teased) where I live now because I don't wave while driving, still lock my car doors, etc.

I'm sure I can get used to TV, especially as there will be no snow, lots to do, and plenty of friendly people around.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.