So excited!

Old 02-14-2024, 10:40 AM

Bargains and Treasures on 466 across from Walmart has great buys on used furniture. Babettes on 441/27 new furniture. We have bought from them. We use Xfinity for everything.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:10 PM
Location: Formerly resided in southeast Wisconsin; now in the village of Winifred
Default Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriemoms View Post
After a year of research watching every youtube about villages, here we come! We close on our home mid March near Citris Grove. Can't wait to meet everyone! I'm retired but my husband Patrick will continue to work from home. We would love suggestions on what internet provider ( we currently use tmobile home and understand that can be spotty in our area) and best place to buy furniture! Thanks and hugs to y'all!
We purchased a leather sofa, coffee table, and end tables at Haverty's in the Southern Trace Mall on Hwy 466. Their customer service and delivery were spot on. Time will tell, but the quality of the furniture appears to be quite good.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:05 PM
Loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Congratulations for your upcoming move to active retirement heaven. I'm very happy with Xfinity for internet, and Tracfone for cell service.
You can find very good deals for slightly used furniture on Facebook Marketplace or here on TOTV's buy and sell section.
Don't be put off by a few VERY NEGATIVE CURMUDGEONS on this website. Just put them on your "IGNORE" list and enjoy the rest of your experience.
All the best to you.
Thank you! We have friends who live in The Villages and love it. We live in a small town in NC that has been invaded by relocated northerners and brought thier negative "the pizza here sucks" type addiitude with them. We are used to it haha.
I'm glad to see the majority of people have been so helpful!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:25 AM
Loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post

As for furniture, don't be in a big hurry. You will probably find what you have now is not what you'll want here. Bring what you really need, and take your time finding the rest.
Thats pretty much we are doing. We sold a lot of our furniture already and are basically bringing just a sofa tv and air mattress

I am a retired pastry chef and we bought a Charlotte with the larger kitchen. I think my biggest issue is finding room for all my kitchen toys. Haha.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:35 AM
Loriemoms

Not sure what part of NC you are from. We are just outside Raleigh and they can t build fast enough for all the people moving here. Our house sold in 2 days 20k OVER our asking price with 6 offers. Even with high interest rates. Traffic is awful every where. They keep building but not improving the roads to handle it. Taxes keep getting raised..yes they are lower then Florida but there are more things for a happy life then paying lower taxes. Medical care has gone downhill as all the drs are getting bought out by the large hospital systems causing higher prices which is causing insurance companies battles. We have uhc and UNC which is about everyone refused to accept uhc insurance for a few months because they were disagreeing on prices. So be careful what you wish for. ...you may want to do research before moving back. When we decided it was time to move we looked all over the country and the villages beleive it or not just ticked a lot of our wants on our list.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:46 AM
Loriemoms

Our house was built in 2021 so not sure how it's wired. We probably will wait till we move to decide and just use our tmobile home till we figure it out.
Furniture prices are nuts since the pandemic. We don't need much and may end up just ordering from Costco haha
Citrus Grove in a few blocks away so I guess we are in Citrus Grove. This is very new to us...we don't live in a "neighborhood " currently..we are still wrapping our heads around that we don't need our riding mower anymore!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Welcome to the Villages and to TOTV! This is a very exciting time for you, and you are going to love the area you are moving to. Sawgrass has so much to offer l- the show kitchen, villages grown market and meat market, boozey bingo on Mondays, pretty good pizza, Ezell, Southern Oaks, and near so many great walking trails. You’ll enjoy the high-energy vibe, and most residents in the area are hyper-active and social. Regarding furniture - I bought all my pieces on-line from Pottery Barn, but they also have a storefront at Millenia Mall in Orlando.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriemoms View Post
Thank you! We have friends who live in The Villages and love it. We live in a small town in NC that has been invaded by relocated northerners and brought thier negative "the pizza here sucks" type addiitude with them. We are used to it haha.
I'm glad to see the majority of people have been so helpful!
The pizza HERE sucks. Most people living in The Villages are northerners, and in fact there's a pretty significant New Jersey/New York/New England contingency here. We all attest to the fact that the pizza here sucks.

That's not the criteria to determine whether or not The Villages is a good place to live though. So it's possible that a person can be happy living here, where the pizza sucks. The attitude that's most harmful, is the one that says northerners who think the pizza here sucks, are bad influences, or somehow negatively affect the entire community.

I'd say the whole "you have a differing opinion and you're not afraid to express it" hatred is what negatively affects the entire community.

The houses and landscaping and yards and layouts of some areas in the Villages might all be interchangeable and conform into one nice neat perfect plastic photograph, but the people who live in them are as varied as the stars in the sky. That is a good thing, and people should celebrate those differences instead of complaining that they exist.

In short: the pizza here really does suck. AND the Villages has plenty of things to attract people from all over the world.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:21 AM
Loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The pizza HERE sucks. Most people living in The Villages are northerners, and in fact there's a pretty significant New Jersey/New York/New England contingency here. We all attest to the fact that the pizza here sucks.

That's not the criteria to determine whether or not The Villages is a good place to live though. So it's possible that a person can be happy living here, where the pizza sucks. The attitude that's most harmful, is the one that says northerners who think the pizza here sucks, are bad influences, or somehow negatively affect the entire community.

I'd say the whole "you have a differing opinion and you're not afraid to express it" hatred is what negatively affects the entire community.

The houses and landscaping and yards and layouts of some areas in the Villages might all be interchangeable and conform into one nice neat perfect plastic photograph, but the people who live in them are as varied as the stars in the sky. That is a good thing, and people should celebrate those differences instead of complaining that they exist.

In short: the pizza here really does suck. AND the Villages has plenty of things to attract people from all over the world.
Love it! But how's your barbecue? 😃

Tags
home, suggestions, love, internet, provider

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.