Starting to learn about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTheElder View Post
Darield, thank you for the thoughful reply.

Do you happen to know whether the boardwalk at the Okahumpka Recreation Center will significantly lengthen the walk / hike beyond 1/2 mile?
No, extension will be minimal.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
mntlblok, thank you so much for the thoughtful and constructive reply!

You speculated that I am an INTP, and you were really close. Actually, I am an INTJ, and the 'J' helps explains why I am such an 'over-planner' (in the opinions of others).

Hiking a golf course would certainly work for me, and to be honest I had not thought of that since I wasn't sure if it was allowed.

Thanks again for your kind comments.
As far as I know, hiking golf courses is not allowed.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that it is a waste of my time to do any online research about The Villages?
Not at all. I did lots of research online before coming down. However, be prepared to see, like so many of us before you, that you just gotta see it to understand it.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:26 PM

We are thinking of coming in Jan for a LS visit. After reading comments I think a week is too short, but doing some research a month can cost $3000usd +. Does anyone know if anyone ever sublets one of the lofts or is that even possible?
Some of the rental sites don't let you search by $ which is also too bad because we aren't overly picky about location at the moment just looking for something small and reasonably priced.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
We are thinking of coming in Jan for a LS visit. After reading comments I think a week is too short, but doing some research a month can cost $3000usd +. Does anyone know if anyone ever sublets one of the lofts or is that even possible?
Some of the rental sites don't let you search by $ which is also too bad because we aren't overly picky about location at the moment just looking for something small and reasonably priced.
A lifestyle visit is a good way to start.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've seen so many who post here, who also over-think and plan. As so many others stated....why not take time to come and visit?? When you plan too much, you might be disappointed or frustrated. You're looking at 7-8 yrs from now?? A LOT can happen in that time and what you've planned will be twarted.
Thanks for this post. Overthinking is a real thing.

My new husband and I came down here for a 30-day visit and had the great blessing of knowing several people who already lived here and provided some guidance in the different areas.

That was a wonderful help in learning about the area and making a decision.

We came here planning to buy new construction but after learning about the bond and lack of completed golf courses at the newest areas, we decided on pre-owned.

Plus, we felt like something LESS than ten years old suited our unique needs better.

We looked at a bunch of houses and bought one a few days later.

At our age (mid-60s) there’s not much point in wasting years pondering a big decision. If it makes sense and feels right and “checks all the boxes” it probably is right.

Some of the best decisions I’ve ever made were decisions that I made without overthinking them.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks for the comments jimjamuser.

Actually, I have been building up my own private list of pros and cons for The Villages for about a year. The issues that you mention have been on my list.

Also, I will emphasize that I wrote in my OP, "...am considering moving to The Villages..."
I've been here 7 years and love it - especially the warm weather - which is NOT extreme and never has been. From the University of Florida, I've attached is the temperature record (through 2022) for the city of Ocala - just north of The Villages - the horse capital of the U.S. As a meteorologist I can tell you - there is no climate crisis - just climate alarmism.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocala.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	100686  
Closed Thread

Tags
hiking, preserve, town, villages, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.