Starting to learn about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2023, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very true will add one more thing. Sales agent are in business to make money and will push in often very subtle ways to buy on a lifestyle visit.

You do not know what you do not know.
For all of our 4 lifestyles, here’s my number call if you want to look, we didn’t look at a house until the fourth visit. What our rep did do was put us in different style houses to get a feel for them.

We were dead set on a CYV, until the 3rd visit, the dogs barking, and hearing clear conversations from houses farther down, changed our minds by day 2. We also thought living by the polo grounds was a great place and changed our mind on that.

Fourth visit was the first time we looked at homes, he took us to 4 preowned in different areas, and one new village almost built, and new village just starting. Then again we aren’t the type of people to let others help us make up our minds.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:44 AM

Don't forget to educate yourself on the cost of the Bond payments for many newly developed areas. In older areas the Bond on the home may be paid off. However you may be looking at a new roof for an older home that your insurance company may not like. Lots to learn.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:01 AM

All of these long winded advice posts!!!
Sometimes I wonder if some of you have nothing better to do than craft these up for TOTV!
Just come down here for a Lifestyle Experience and/or rent for at least a month ...that will tell you everything you need to know.
Simple ....to the point....and done.
Have a great day!
Old 08-26-2023, 06:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwoodrick View Post
Don't forget to educate yourself on the cost of the Bond payments for many newly developed areas. In older areas the Bond on the home may be paid off. However you may be looking at a new roof for an older home that your insurance company may not like. Lots to learn.
Related FYI - newer homes built to current wind mitigation standards will have lower insurance rates.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:24 AM
Default RRead up on www.thevillages101.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTheElder View Post
Hi Everyone.

I am a retiree and am considering moving to The Villages sometime prior 2030.

I am starting to educate myself about the geography and amenities there. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Lifestyle visits are highly recommended. Be sure to visit the web site www.thevillages101.com, mostly for new renters but lots of geography info as well.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:31 AM
Default Preview

The Villages lifestyle is all about driving a golf cart to most things you do hopefully in 15-20 minutes. So above hwy 44 or around hwy 466a or 466. Hiking is mentioned more down south without much in stores, golf, restaurants but there a trail on 44 by brownwood. I lived by Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve see this pic that is all there is short walk

[IMG]https://www.**************.com/2017/02/09/sunrise-sharon-rose-wiechens-preserve-villages-3/[/IMG]

My hobbies are hiking, listening and dancing to live music, and attending theater.
close to good hiking and also a town square. When I say 'hiking' I mean walking off pavement; that is, on wood boardwalk, decomposed granite, dirt, etc.

The Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve seems like the premium place for my hiking needs.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone.

I am starting to educate myself about the geography and amenities there.

My hobbies are hiking, listening and dancing to live music, and attending theater.

So, I would like to find an area in The Villages that is both close to good hiking and also a town square. When I say 'hiking' I mean walking off pavement; that is, on wood boardwalk, decomposed granite, dirt, etc.

My impression is that a lot of the live music takes place on the town squares. Is that right?

The Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve seems like the premium place for my hiking needs. I believe that it is in or adjacent to the neighborhood of LaBelle.

The nearest town squares to the Preserve appear to be Brownwood Paddock Square and Sumter Landing, which are about 4.5 and 6 miles from the Preserve respectively.

So, I was thinking that the neighborhood of LaBelle might best fit my needs.

Please educate me regarding any wrong assumptions that I am making .

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Best you can do is to do Lifestyle visit or rent a home here. Unless you are planning to buy soon, I would not pay to much attention (other than basic knowledge) to recommendations when your target date is around 2030. A lot is going to change from now until then

The longer you can do a stay here, the more benefit you will get. It will allow you to REALLY explore first hand what you are looking for and the rest of The Villages.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:45 AM
Sage

I've seen so many who post here, who also over-think and plan. As so many others stated....why not take time to come and visit?? When you plan too much, you might be disappointed or frustrated. You're looking at 7-8 yrs from now?? A LOT can happen in that time and what you've planned will be twarted.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:49 AM

No hiking opportunities, houses will cost close to a million dollars by 2030, so property tax will be through the roof. If you are on Medicare, the Villages Health does not take it, you have to go outside the villages to find care. Friendliest hometown? Not so much; people can file complaints about your property anonymously and you never understand why someone was bothered by whatever it was. The Villages Properties will sell you property that is out of compliance, but you are expected to spend money to bring it back into compliance. People are rude, entitled, and believe they are privileged. You are charged for water or electricity you didn't use and there is nothing you can do.

Yes you need to rent for at keast a year before buying. If we had done that, I don't think we would have bought and moved here.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone.

I am starting to educate myself about the geography and amenities there.

So, I would like to find an area in The Villages that is both close to good hiking and also a town square. When I say 'hiking' I mean walking off pavement; that is, on wood boardwalk, decomposed granite, dirt, etc.

My impression is that a lot of the live music takes place on the town squares. Is that right?

The Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve seems like the premium place for my hiking needs. I believe that it is in or adjacent to the neighborhood of LaBelle.

The nearest town squares to the Preserve appear to be Brownwood Paddock Square and Sumter Landing, which are about 4.5 and 6 miles from the Preserve respectively.

So, I was thinking that the neighborhood of LaBelle might best fit my needs.

Please educate me regarding any wrong assumptions that I am making .

Thanks in advance for any advice.
If it takes you more than 3-5 years to move here, any information you requested will be Obsolete. Growth is near outta control
Old 08-26-2023, 07:03 AM

There’s no way to assess the “vibe” of various areas without being in it. Nobody can be YOU in making these decisions.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Spend a few vacation weeks here. VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages Florida The Villages Rentals
Old 08-26-2023, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonl7340 View Post
No hiking opportunities, houses will cost close to a million dollars by 2030, so property tax will be through the roof. If you are on Medicare, the Villages Health does not take it, you have to go outside the villages to find care. Friendliest hometown? Not so much; people can file complaints about your property anonymously and you never understand why someone was bothered by whatever it was. The Villages Properties will sell you property that is out of compliance, but you are expected to spend money to bring it back into compliance. People are rude, entitled, and believe they are privileged. You are charged for water or electricity you didn't use and there is nothing you can do.

Yes you need to rent for at keast a year before buying. If we had done that, I don't think we would have bought and moved here.
Disregard the above post.
A million $, not!
Old 08-26-2023, 07:08 AM

Between now and your planned retirement, you've got plenty of time to come for a lifestyle visit but also a "tour on your own" visit. As I'm sure you are aware, there are many nice rental properties you can stay in. Renting a home here for your vacation is a great way to experience actually living here -- all the fun stuff to do, but the practical stuff as well--grocery shopping, traffic, navigating traffic circles, getting lost in your golf cart and so on. We visited at least three times before deciding that getting vacation/retirement home was what we wanted. And the first home we chose, once we lived in it for a vacation, was actually not the home we really wanted! So use the time you have pre-retirement as other posters have said to get your own feel for this place. And I think your gonna like what you find
Old 08-26-2023, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonl7340 View Post

With lot premium some houses new and preowned are already at a million and up. If you were sited for a compliance issue, you went against deed restrictions, that you signed at closing. Unless you lived as a hermit prior to TV there has always been rude, entitled, and privileged people.

Have you investigated your water and electricity issues, sounds odd, but depends on where you live.

Tags
hiking, preserve, town, villages, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.