Starting to learn about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2023, 07:12 AM

I recommend renting for a year. So many of the things I thought I would enjoy are not the things I do enjoy here. I found different things to enjoy, of course. My regrets: I enjoy travel and Orlando airport to North Villages is quite a slog not to mention expensive (or a slow or crowded shuttle). I liked "art film" but they closed the North Villages theater, and it will never re-open. I thought I would enjoy the squares, but I found them hot, weatherwise, most of the year, and I can hear good recorded music. I like volunteer work but the main volunteer luncheon for the group I like is in the far south villages. - - So, rent for a year, find the special things you like. Commuting here is unpleasant due to very slow speed limits, avoiding problem drivers and lots of traffic circles. I don't like 15 minute drives, let along the common 30 minute drives in these conditions.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:39 AM

watch the jerry and linda video on youtube
Old 08-26-2023, 07:50 AM

By 2030, The Villages thumbprint will change tremendously! That’s a lifetime away for retired folks, who may or may not still be here. I agree! Check this place out as soon as you can. Even for a week at a time.. do it frequently before you plan the move.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:13 AM

Keep an eye on new construction near Eastport. If you get in there early and don't like it, you will be able to easily sell and make a profit.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Related FYI - newer homes built to current wind mitigation standards will have lower insurance rates.
The current wind mitigation standards include homes that were built from 3/01/2002 to the present. New roofs on older homes are required by insurance companies because roofs deteriorate over time. Knowing this, most resales have newly replaced roofs. No one wants to see their home sit on the market because a buyer cannot get insurance.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
Keep an eye on new construction near Eastport. If you get in there early and don't like it, you will be able to easily sell and make a profit.
You have to pay realtor commission and closing costs when you sell your home. Those fees can add up. An easy sell is up for debate. Most homes on the market today are sitting and are not selling at the higher prices demanded by the post-Covid craze. Companies are demanding workers return to the office, interest rates are high, people are choosing to rent because it is cheaper than buying, inflation is high, and there is an overabundance of short term rentals. If you purchase a home with the intent of flipping it quickly, you may find it is not as easy as it once was.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTheElder View Post
Hi Everyone.

I am a retiree and am considering moving to The Villages sometime prior 2030.

I am starting to educate myself about the geography and amenities there.

My hobbies are hiking, listening and dancing to live music, and attending theater.

So, I would like to find an area in The Villages that is both close to good hiking and also a town square. When I say 'hiking' I mean walking off pavement; that is, on wood boardwalk, decomposed granite, dirt, etc.

My impression is that a lot of the live music takes place on the town squares. Is that right?

The Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve seems like the premium place for my hiking needs. I believe that it is in or adjacent to the neighborhood of LaBelle.

The nearest town squares to the Preserve appear to be Brownwood Paddock Square and Sumter Landing, which are about 4.5 and 6 miles from the Preserve respectively.

So, I was thinking that the neighborhood of LaBelle might best fit my needs.

Please educate me regarding any wrong assumptions that I am making .

Thanks in advance for any advice.
The best hiking is down South and living near Wiechens would give you access to a nice boardwalk as well as Hogeye (wonderful 2.5 mile path) as well as at least 4 more very nice hiking areas in the newer areas. Okahumpka Recreation Center has a beautiful 1/2 mile trail and soon the boardwalk will be open. Although I live on the North end, I belong to the birding groups and often am down South. The VIllages also just built a new "soft" walking trail at Lake Miona that is 2/3 of a mile one way. I heard they are building a new town square down South but don't know when it will open. Brownwood Square is closest to Wiechens and the area you are looking at and Lake Sumter is not that far away. And yes, they have music 7 nights a week.There are a number of neighborhoods that might fit your needs including La Belle. There are other things to consider also. An example; we are dog people. We would never consider living near one of the ponds or a large natural area. Unfortunately, there have, on occasion, been dogs killed by alligators. We also have other wildlife. Another thing to consider is will you want to drive your car or do you want to use a golf cart? I go to a number of the recreation centers/hiking trails and because I live up North, I drive my car. Just about everything is accessible by golf cart if you don't mind the extra time it takes. So I agree, spending some time here is the best way to move forward. I will say, there is no perfect place but I really enjoy living in The Villages. With over 2000 clubs (including hiking clubs), there are a lot of things to explore. Clubs are listed in an insert on the Thursday paper.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Hope you can afford it by 2030, Florida is probably the most wanted state to move to, hope there’s some land left. If I were you I would buy some property in TV now & even if you don’t decide now to build you’ll make money on it if TV let you buy it now or let you buy land without building now. I take it you’re not old enough now!
Old 08-26-2023, 10:10 AM

For a house with more than 1156 square feet? By 2030? Yep close to a million. If you doubt me hang around until then and try to buy a house with1600+ sf with a golf cart garage, stucco.... mark my words. Oh yes, the bond payment, the fire assessment...dint forget that.
Old 08-26-2023, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonl7340 View Post
For a house with more than 1156 square feet? By 2030? Yep close to a million. If you doubt me hang around until then and try to buy a house with1600+ sf with a golf cart garage, stucco.... mark my words. Oh yes, the bond payment, the fire assessment...dint forget that.
If that happens, people will evacuate Florida just like those in California, New York, Chicago, etc are doing now. And, who wants tented homeless areas?
Old 08-26-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sometime prior to 2030 you need to come on a lifestyle visit or rent for a month or more. This will give you a chance to form your OWN opinion of The Villages.
You can explore and see what would be acceptable to your future lifestyle.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply, Bogie Shooter.

I have tentative plans to visit The Villages within the next year.

The reason that I am investigating and asking questions now is so that I can target which area within The Villages I will staying during my visit. Does that make sense?
Old 08-26-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You need to come here for a good period of time and explore and explore. Lots of stuff here and more to come and what you like today might not be what you want down the road.

Rent for at least a month.
Thanks for the reply, Stu.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
In 2030 you could have Disney as your neighbor. When we were Snowbirds, each year we came down there were drastic changes. In “07” SS was the hopping place, and LSL was empty storefronts. Brownwood is finally starting to fill in with retail. Middleton and Eastport is being built as I type (well voice to text).

Don’t listen to you need to be 5 minutes to your Doctors, unless you need to take up residence in their office. Groceries can take 5-10 minutes to get to, unless you are prefer more upscale organic shopping, then again Krogers does drop at your door. No travel involved.

Squares they are intriguing for the first 6 months, then you are so busy, where do you find the time to stop.

No worries if you don’t love your house, pick and move to different area, is very easy to do here. No attachment to homes, and sometimes just want to move to a different area, house, or neighbors. We bought 10 years before one semi retired. It’s done often here.

By the time you move close to the area you are considering homes will be over 15 years old. New models will emerge, and better options. Just remember what you love this year will change by 2030. You drive more than 10 minutes to shopping, groceries, and gasoline. We have traffic, and some just can’t get past that, not they would drive to that area, but it’s obvious it bothers some who find their village is better than any one else, and the rest shouldn’t exist
Thank for the reply asianthree.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
What others have said is exactly correct. You simply cannot learn about this place online. You need to come here and see things in person.
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that it is a waste of my time to do any online research about The Villages?
Old 08-26-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
There is no place in TV suitable for hiking. There are several greenways within 30 miles that are.
Thanks for the reply npwalters.

Are you including the Sharon Rose Wiechens Preserve in your 'no place suitable for hiking' assessment?
Closed Thread

Tags
hiking, preserve, town, villages, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.