IRS office needed in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Default IRS office needed in The Villages?

My mother had some tax issues and I found it surprising that the IRS does not have an office within The Villages! She is unable to drive to Ocala, which is the closest IRS office in the area. Does anyone think it would be prudent to have an office within The Villages? It would help not only the residents but businesses also. Just a thought...I am sure I'm not the only one that has been faced with this issue.

p.s.: when I spoke with a representative at the Ocala office, he said the community would have to petition The Villages and have them place a request for an office to be opened.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey180 View Post
My mother had some tax issues and I found it surprising that the IRS does not have an office within The Villages! She is unable to drive to Ocala, which is the closest IRS office in the area. Does anyone think it would be prudent to have an office within The Villages? It would help not only the residents but businesses also. Just a thought...I am sure I'm not the only one that has been faced with this issue.

p.s.: when I spoke with a representative at the Ocala office, he said the community would have to petition The Villages and have them place a request for an office to be opened.
I think the IRS is fine where they are, I don't want them too close, when they are not busy they might be thinking of ways to get closer.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM

I agree we need a irs office in the villages. A few years ago i got audited by the irs and after a few months of going back and forth thru the mail i finally gave up and made the long trip to ocala hoping i could find their offfice. To my suprise the man i talked to was extremely nice and helpfull. He got down to the problem and made a phone call to their texas office and my problem was solved. Got my refund check in just a few days after that. It would be nice to have an office close by.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would prefer that the goverment reduced spending so if they relocate an exisiting office to TV due to customer need in both locations that would be ok.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom60 View Post
I agree we need a irs office in the villages. A few years ago i got audited by the irs and after a few months of going back and forth thru the mail i finally gave up and made the long trip to ocala hoping i could find their offfice. To my suprise the man i talked to was extremely nice and helpfull. He got down to the problem and made a phone call to their texas office and my problem was solved. Got my refund check in just a few days after that. It would be nice to have an office close by.
I do not consider 27 miles a long trip. Duplicating IRS services that close would be a waste of money.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

IRS and needed in the same sentence.

I am thinking about that........
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Gold member
Default Irs

I do not think we need a IRS office in "The Villages. Fine in Ocala. 25 miles not to bad.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM

25 miles is far when you are unable to drive yourself or have to depend on someone else to drive you. And at gas just below $4 a gallon......
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey180 View Post
25 miles is far when you are unable to drive yourself or have to depend on someone else to drive you. And at gas just below $4 a gallon......
Maybe they would make a housecall. There has to be a better solution to this one time event than opening a new IRS office in TV.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Gold member

I understand that 25 miles seems like a long distance, especially if you don't have a car.

Having said that, I would venture a guess that 25 miles would seem close for the IRS office to a lot of people throughout the US. (For example, if you lived in Fort Stockton Texas you would need to travel 89 miles to Midland for the closest office.)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

As long as the word "not" is included, I think you'll be o.k., gg.....

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Gold member
Default Irs

25 miles is not to far. How many time really do you need IRS?. Gas at $4:00 a gallon? OH Well! Have a friend drive you,thats what friends are for.Come on 'toughen up".
Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

I can sympathize with some of the folks who are less mobile wanting an office close by...and as TV grows, that may make sense. But I agree with the posters that this would be adding to government spending. May be they could send an agent down for a day to see if there is enough demand?

k
Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I'm with you Gracie! With and anticipated increase of IRS agents by 16,000, do we taxpayers really need to be soaked for even more tax dollars going to the IRS? I don't think so!

Additionally, just how ofter does one need to respond to an audit? Eileen and I have been married for 44 years and in all that time we have been called in for an audit only one time. That's right... ONE time! At the distance quoted between Ocala and TV, that would be about an annual average of 57% of a single mile and at the cost of gas that would be an annual average of up to $2.06 per gallon. These figures are no exageration, but they may be a bit of hyperbole. But then again... hyperbole "seems" to becoming an acceptable form of communication in recent years.

With todays tax laws, the IRS and their offices are a necessary thing, but I do have to say..."Anyplace without an IRS Office is a good place!"
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I do not think we need a IRS office in "The Villages. Fine in Ocala. 25 miles not to bad.
I had a problem with the IRS and got all of my information together and made the drive to Ocala and discussed the problem with IRS. I still had to do the paperwork and send the info to IRS. But it was quick and easy.

I do not think one or two people needing transportation is a reason to move an IRS office to TV.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.