Surprise! The lot you bought and house you have planned are in a flood zone !

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2020, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don5154 View Post
NOT TRUE......stop passing along bad information
Are you ready - Remember IRMA
Old 12-18-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know about Chitty Chatty, but I understand that some of the ponds in The Villages are interconnected by a piping system. The developer can control the water levels in the ponds by allowing water to flow from one pond to another and prevent flooding of the houses. They can also remove water from the ponds by using the irrigation system. You will often see the sprinklers running for long periods after a heavy rain.
Correct
Old 12-18-2020, 07:57 AM

In 2017, we put a down payment on a lot sight-unseen. Our sales person took videos of multiple lots and we chose the one we liked best from his videos. The Villages held that lot for us. We were told that they would hold our lot for four months. Our sales person also told us that The Villages would allow us to select another lot if we were not happy with ours. We were told that we could change lots ONE TIME. When we came here a few months later, we looked at all the lots that were available at that time and loved the one that we had chosen (still do). So (assuming they are still doing this), you may be able to select another lot, if you are unhappy with the one you chose. However, it is possible that all the lots you are considering are in the same flood zone and you would have to settle for an interior lot.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
No one disclosed to us when we selected a pond lot in Chitty Chatty that this could be an issue. After our planning meetings, payment of 20 % we spoke with the bank about a mortgage and were told that we would have to carry flood insurance which DOUBLES our home insurance cost. We are very angry about this. We could have chosen a different lot if we had known. We were told that in a couple of years the area may be resurveyed and that FEMA would send a letter if it is no longer classified this way. Then we have to fight with the mortgage company to have this requirement dismissed. As for now it states "for the life of the loan ". Watch out if you are purchasing a pond lot. Has anyone else had this experience?
Flood insurance is available from the federal government if you are in a designated flood zone. You can apply for this insurance through many commercial insurance companies and the premiums are fixed based on the zone. Your plot plan designates your elevation level and that determines which level you require. Which flood zone level your I’m determines the premium you pay but there is a deductible. Your bank no doubt wants more coverage but you in my opinion should only get the difference in coverage between what the government flood insurance covers and what your bank is requiring.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:05 AM
Default Flood zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'll assume you're exaggerating to make a point. It's not even close to being literally true.
To be accurate, the ENTIRE COUNTRY is in “a flood zone”. The National Flood Insurance Plan publishes maps of every state and municipality. It ranks every location not just those in a high risk area. Depending on which zone they assign to a particular area will determine whether or not your property is considered at high risk, consequently requiring Flood Insurance if you have a mortgage. Without a mortgage you are not required to purchase flood insurance.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:05 AM

As others have pointed out, The Villages development department engineers do move a lot of dirt when creating neighborhoods south of 44.

I'm close to the Hogeye Sink in Marsh Bend, and studied the topography before closing on my new spec home. We are at 72 ft in elevation now, and about 20 ft higher than the Sink. Area north of us shows as in a flood plain on FEMA maps, but I noticed that it is quite a bit higher than the Sink, too. Looks like Marsh Bend does have a lot of fill to make the home areas higher than the original topography.

I see similar elevation raising in the development near Red and Gray Fox.

I even viewed a Don Wiley video that showed Marsh Bend area around the Sink over the years. At one time two years ago, the Sink looked more like a lake rather than the swamp it usually is.

So... Until FEMA updates it's maps, you may be in a flood zone until you determine if your elevation is higher or the same As when the zones were mapped. For peace of mind, investigate further, or change to a different lot.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 12-18-2020, 08:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Most closings are typical and title companies do as good a job as attorneys. I come from NJ and in the north part of the state, they tend to use lawyers, in the south, title companies. They do not do investigative work. FEMA maps may periodically be updated but I would assume any institution will use them to designate flood zones. I had a beach house on the ocean and that was obvious but others are not so obvious. If you are in a high risk zone, your rates will be very high. If you are in a low risk zone, your rates will be cheap and begs the question as to whether or not it is needed. Dwelling insurance has nothing to do with flood. Separate policies. Flood policies are usually underwritten by the government and capped at $250,000. Additional insurance would have to be purchased privately, like Lloyds of London. Has nothing to do with ponds or such. The villages does an outstanding job of water control with very sophisticated systems.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:33 AM

When I was a Town Supervisor in Upstate NY, we learned that FEMA was updating the entire country flood mapping. This was in response to the increased level of flooding seen across the country. Therefore, they were expanding the areas of the 100 year flood plains (actually 1% chance of flooding). Given that this data was gather several years ago, I doubt that the work the developer has done in the past few years to increase the elevation of a particular house will impact the government rating. On another note, I agree that TV does a great job of water management during the big storms. However, if we have a storm that overwhelms the water management system and the flooding enters your home, the damage will be extensive. You will be glad to have the insurance at that point.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:40 AM

If you get an elevation certificate from a surveyor it may cut the cost. Also there is no fight just have to apply to fema and they will change it or remove it. Check on an elevation certificate
Old 12-18-2020, 08:44 AM

In May, I sold a house in Virginia that was solidly in the 100 year AE flood plain. Prior to selling I got ($800.) an Elevation Certificate which allows for better risk assessment. The purchaser's lender allowed her to purchase private flood insurance vs FEMA which significantly reduced the yearly premium. As I recall, the premium quote from FEMA was over $6,000, private was under $3,000.

FEMA insurance has a $5,000 deductible, although you can pick higher, and as I recall is capped at a $250K payout.

Remember the FEMA pool includes oceanfront properties that are sinking into the ocean.

FWIW
Old 12-18-2020, 09:02 AM
Default If u can pay cash you don’t have to have flood insurance. That would save money till

Resale lot and guy another. Pay cash u don’t have to have flood insurance.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:07 AM

We have golf frontage with a pond view. We have the highest lot on the golf course. Our lanai is 3 or 4 feet higher than ground level. When the pond overflows it goes right or left of our house. No houses were ever flooded. We have a condo in the Keys. Flood damage in lower Apt. from Hurricane Irma. Flood insurance paid promptly. Our upper Apt. (15 and 30 feet above ground level) had damage from wind and rain. Wind insurance said this was from flood and didn't want to pay. After much wrangling, they finally paid. Wind gust at one time was 186 MPH. Next door apt. paid promptly before they made repairs. Ours wouldn't pay until after we made repairs and submitted receipts. We found it depends on what adjustor you get. If you have a flood or other damage, ask for another adjustor or supervisor if you are not satisfied.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
What was your flood factor? Mine was a 5, which it said there is a chance it might flood at least once in the next 38 years. I'm nowhere near a pond or water. I didn't get a mortgage but my homeowners insurance never asked about it.

Just type in your address.

Find Your Home'''s Flood Risk | Flood Factor

On the Sumter County Flood Zone Map my area is in the white, which is good, so I'm not worried. South of 44 looks like a lot of the area is flood zone.

FEMA Flood Hazard Areas Map of Sumter County, FL | PropertyShark.com
Wow! Good info. We are not in a flood zone. Lots of pockets of potential flooding here
Old 12-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the Villagers real estate agents are not licensed.
You are wrong.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I had an interesting thought, the "flood plain maps" are probably a few (several) years old, depending on what the developer di with landscaping the current elevation may actually be a few feet higher and could make all the difference. The OP might be able to get a surveyor to determine the exact CURRENT elevation of the land and then compare that to what is reported in the flood plain maps, he may be able to make a case that the maps are out of date.
Flood plain information is REQUIRED to be known on any federally insured (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, etc) mortgage.

https://selling-guide.fanniemae.com/...od.20Insurance

The references to "seller" means the mortgage bank who originated the loan, not the seller of the property.
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, mortgage, insurance, told, pond

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.