Surprise! The lot you bought and house you have planned are in a flood zone !

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default Reading your different posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
There are many things buyers here are not aware of, flood zones, sinkholes, potholes, sewer,quarry vibrations, house cracks when new, Coleman prison, unlimited amenity increase,bond interest rate, portion of bond never goes away and increase in value is overstated or a lie. You have to pay for a newspaper to find out what’s going on you have to pay for a service for tee time reservations, many ofthe house contractors the villages have an equity stake in, etc.
I wonder if your ever happy about anything here or if you even live here, I’ve been here 20 years in 5 homes , I’ve been happy wherever I’ve been including being in Fenney now , oh and what prison I didn’t know there was a prison MY My it must be the families fault
Old 12-19-2020, 09:47 AM

Citizens was the first one we applied to but they cannot come close to an on line company's interest rate with no points and closing credits.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 AM

Everyone needs to read the blurb in this AM’s DS. Page A5
U.S. gives Florida wider authority.
Seems they gave the good old boy allies the go ahead and develop wetlands. Florida can now evaluate and give out their own permits under the clean water act! The question would be and should be, will developers look out for ecological protection, and home buyers, or their own pocketbooks?
Good thing there’s no basements.
Lot of posts saying the buyers should have known better. If they NEVER lived here before, why on earth would they think they were being suckered, or where they bought was a previous swamp?
14 years ago we moved here and for 3 years I drove to Winter Garden. On the turnpike across from the rest center, cattle would be ankle deep in water during the rainy season, that would indicate wetlands! Now there’s homes there. They are playing, now u see now u don’t. Cannot keep moving the water table around, something somewhere is going to revolt.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I wonder if your ever happy about anything here or if you even live here, I’ve been here 20 years in 5 homes , I’ve been happy wherever I’ve been including being in Fenney now , oh and what prison I didn’t know there was a prison MY My it must be the families fault
People? A friend of mine said as they get older they do not get better they get worse.
The old tale-is your glass half full or half empty.

I am truly thankful that we were poor as kids and that I worked hard for all I have.
It means much more if it was not given to you. I for one find the lizards etc interesting and yes amusing and I have far more than I ever planned on. To quote another friend-I was an overnight success-it only took me 45 years of hard work.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Default Due Diligence!!

We bought a Villa , sight unseen, in Chitty Chatty and before we ever signed the contract did our diligence on flooding. Talked to State Farm & did research on the web. Totally confident. Diligence and foresight prepares you prior to signing that contract.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:32 AM

The mortgage co is requiring flood insurance for the life of the mortgage . If we can later get a FEMA certificate stating it is no longer in a flood zone we will have to see if they will drop that requirement
Old 12-19-2020, 11:36 AM

Thanks for info...house is up already as closing is in Feb so too late to change lots. We will just hope that our elevation map we have to get will help settle this problem.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
We did not find out about the flood situation until after the house was already planned and the deposit of 20% paid. Now that we have to get insurance for the closing we find out that our premiums will double in cost
I think the title to this thread is unfairly upsetting. Nearly all of Florida is very close to sea level and "they" have placed "flood plains" and other plans to handle most of the problems. The Villages showed how well during Hurricane Irma three years ago when we received what would have been harsh flooding to homes, but it was diverted by their pumping the ponds down, sending the water to the common areas and pumping the run off onto their own golf courses in order to spare people's homes. The only generalized area that I saw flooded was in the historic part. It seems as they build areas they take into consideration the possibility of flood and regrade first.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Location: East Alton, IL (near St. Louis, Mo), Duval, St. James and hopefully lastly Collier

Isn’t there an actual creek that goes thru there named the Chitty Chatty creek? I think that’s where they got the name from for the village. I would think that it could possibly flood if you live close to it. I wouldn’t worry too much about the retention ponds or the preserve areas...however, that creek could be an issue. I came from IL and creeks overflowed their banks ALL of the time during the spring and heavy rains.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think the title to this thread is unfairly upsetting. Nearly all of Florida is very close to sea level and "they" have placed "flood plains" and other plans to handle most of the problems. The Villages showed how well during Hurricane Irma three years ago when we received what would have been harsh flooding to homes, but it was diverted by their pumping the ponds down, sending the water to the common areas and pumping the run off onto their own golf courses in order to spare people's homes. The only generalized area that I saw flooded was in the historic part. It seems as they build areas they take into consideration the possibility of flood and regrade first.
No Gracie, the title is 100% accurate. Yes, you always defend the Morse family and surely their business practices which make life here perfect need no criticism, even honest accurate criticism. All of Florida is not classified by FEMA as being in a flood zone. And it has nothing to do with how well the golf courses handled the last hurricane. The classification is based on maps, linked in earlier posts, created to assess flood risk and that information is certainly well known to the land development company. And the Morse corporation which is building and selling the homes also is certainly aware of the flood risk classification of every plot on which they build. And they know that if you buy on a high risk piece of land that a mortgage company will check for the flood risk and demand coverage before they grant a mortgage.

But the Morse run corporation did not pass this information, which they knew, to a prospective buyer. They were not required to do so but they could have done it if they were fine honest decent businessmen. Just because a law doesn't require an action does not mean it is honorable to not pass on an important factor in the home buyers decision.

The OP was surprised to find the lot he bought is in a flood zone. His title is accurate. His warning to others looking to buy here is worthwhile even if it indirectly criticized the Morse family.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:04 PM

Thank you for this reply. We bought the lot with the realtor via lot maps on TV website with maps of lots for sale and then via photos on her cell phone. We were on lockdown due to covid in NY and did not see the lot til Sept when we came to plan the house. There was no mention or any type of disclosure...not until last week when the insurance issue came up with the mortgage company were we made aware of this issue. We feel that the realtor should have mentioned this when showing us lots before we poured all of this money into a new build. Full disclosure is the law in many states. Just very upset that this happened as we could have easily chosen a different lot if we had known.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:14 PM

Our address does not come up as it is a new neighborhood. I was told AE which is the highest factor
Old 12-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Sage
Lightbulb

All the addresses come up in CC

use Waze
Old 12-19-2020, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
No Gracie, the title is 100% accurate. Yes, you always defend the Morse family and surely their business practices which make life here perfect need no criticism, even honest accurate criticism. All of Florida is not classified by FEMA as being in a flood zone. And it has nothing to do with how well the golf courses handled the last hurricane. The classification is based on maps, linked in earlier posts, created to assess flood risk and that information is certainly well known to the land development company. And the Morse corporation which is building and selling the homes also is certainly aware of the flood risk classification of every plot on which they build. And they know that if you buy on a high risk piece of land that a mortgage company will check for the flood risk and demand coverage before they grant a mortgage.

But the Morse run corporation did not pass this information, which they knew, to a prospective buyer. They were not required to do so but they could have done it if they were fine honest decent businessmen. Just because a law doesn't require an action does not mean it is honorable to not pass on an important factor in the home buyers decision.

The OP was surprised to find the lot he bought is in a flood zone. His title is accurate. His warning to others looking to buy here is worthwhile even if it indirectly criticized the Morse family.
Blueash. I still say it is unfairly upsetting. I still say that most of Florida is about three feet above sea level. I still say that we had an acid test with Hurricane Irma and passed it well. I still say that I think The Morses have this under control. I think that anyone who is in business and trying to sell a sweater doesn't say....look here, before you buy it, It has to be washed by hand. The buyer is supposed to have some sense. Caveat Emptor. I think that we both have bias here. I like mine. I however cannot tell you how much I respect your good judgement in the fields of medicine and pediatrics especially. It is a great help to all of us to have your expertise.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Two kinds of lies.....omission and commission.
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, mortgage, insurance, told, pond

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.