Tile roof? Pros and Cons

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Question Tile roof? Pros and Cons

I am looking to purchase a home in The Villages. I have seen a few listed with a tile roof. Is a tile roof a positive or is this a possible problem in the future? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Gold member
Default Tile roof

I have had a tile roof in a previous home and liked it. Heavy cement tiles will take a lot more wind than shingles (if properly installed). You do not want a dark color as it will hold more heat. I obtained professional technical advice before replacing my wood shingle roof with tile due to the increase in weight on the roof (about 4X). Installers added some support in the rafters to handle the added weight. Makes the home look much better than shingles. I would stay away from composite shingles. Lots of installation problems and discoloration issues.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
I am looking to purchase a home in The Villages. I have seen a few listed with a tile roof. Is a tile roof a positive or is this a possible problem in the future? Thanks for the help.
Tiles look great... a positive. Tiles break easily if in the way of a golf ball... a negative.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Lived 27 yrs in South Fl where tile roofs are very common. Shingles are less insulating, so hotter house in the summer and colder house in the winter than with tiles. Some concrete and Spanish style tile roofs have 50 year lifespans vs much shorter time for shingles. Also, the appearance is more attractive and architectural with tile. Thus, middle and higher end homes had tile while more economical houses had shingles. Needs stronger support from the structure of the house, but they make a house more sturdy to high winds than shingles. Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Platinum member

We have tile roofs here in Tampa.
What they do not tell you is they are prone to more repair
then shingles. Supposed to last 50 years but are prone
to repairs which are costly.
I already have 2 neighbors that have to replace their
whole roof after only 17 years at a very high cost.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Gold member

our villas are some of the first built. they feature tile roofs, 2 car garages, and much more. the only problems we have had is an occasional golf ball! but that's to be expected living on the golf course
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

Hurricane Charley and clay tiled roofs did not play well together in Punta Gorda FL.
Even homes that had other types of roofing in Punta Gorda Isles were damaged when their neighbor's tiles became airborne missiles.
The new, after hurricane, roofs seem to be metal that look like a Spanish tile.
The codes get tighter after disasters like Andrew and Charley, but the sight of all those homes with blue tarps covering the roof remains, is unforgettable.
Suffering from TV envy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.