Too soon . . .

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Default Too soon . . .

So, a question for you all. . .

How soon did you all begin to start planning to move to the villages? Was it 2 years, 5, 10?

How soon is too son?

I'm a compulsive planner, so having a plan, saving up for a house, purchasing, etc. etc. are all things I'm going to end up doing ;-)

Thanks,

Tim
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Tim: may I suggest that five years before you retire you begin a search for a retirement spot, including where you live now. There are so many options and you need to decide what it is you want to do during your retirement years along with the economic aspects, quality of life aspects, etc.

I also suggest that wherever you decide I would rent there for a year or so before making an expensive commitment

Good hunting
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Sage

It was 4 years for us (of course we were hooked after the first visit!). We came down every year after that for a few weeks (it was our annual vacation). During those 4 years before I would buy anything I would think, hmm can I use this when we move? If the answer was no, I didn't buy it. The last year we cleaned out all of the clutter in the house and attic getting the house ready for sale. We painted, cleaned closets and got rid of a ton of un needed stuff. We put the house on the market 3 months before my husband and I were going to retire. We were lucky and sold it in a month and a half. The day after we both retired we were driving down to the Villages to go on a house hunting trip. We bought a house in two days time. Looked at 40 houses in two days. The last few weeks we spent going to our going away and retirement parties and going out to dinner with friends. The time flew. Now we are here in our forever home and loving every minute of it. Good luck to you!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Sage

Tim, it's NEVER too soon to start planning. You don't know when your circumstances......or your mindset......will change. If something like that should happen, you'll already have everything set to go!

Bill
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Default another Planner

I too, am a planner. We are about 8 years out from retirement, and I am starting to plan for it. I know it will be here in the blink of an eye... Not wishing my life away, but am looking forward to the day we can say goodbye to our current work lives.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Sage

We had no plans to move from southern CA upon retirement. Visited The Villages one trip out to see our son who lived in Sarasota at the time, and we headed home to figure out when to retire. This was in October. Closed on our house in April, moved in October. Deciding upon retirement came early one morning as we figured out how much we might lose in retirement income using various dates. Worked out that if we retired early, the loss was only a couple of thousand dollars...not worth the extra time, so that morning, it was off to work and notice of retirement was given! Don't miss that money and love where we now live. Believe me it was all accomplished very quickly and has worked out well.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Sage

3 days
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We received our first DVD and packet in 2003 and moved here July 2011 full time.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Bought 2 years ago on our third trip (nope didn't bring the check book) and we have four years before my husband comes down for good me six years.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM

We came for the first time on the Preview December 2008. Rented for the first time Jan-March 2011. Bought in May 2011.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Came down in 1987 to visit my father-in-law. In the years to follow we said we wanted to live this lifestyle when we retired. In the 10 years before retirement we did 4 lifestyle visits and 3 vacations here. Finally in 2009 we purchased and have been here ever since. Still feel the same way, we love it here.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Save your money. That is what I was told when I was a kid.

It is always good advice to save your money toward retirement. Then when you are old enough to live without a paid income you will be ready to retire. Now for some that is early and for others that is later but the saving part is necessary. Retirement is not a right, it is a privilege.

What this place doesn't need are for folks to move here who can't manage it financially or who are hoping for employment and who do not investigate throughly and find they can't afford to live here and default on their mortgages and create a situation where everyone's homes are devalued.

So to everyone who wants to live here...and who wouldn't...please wait until you are ready financially.

Mean Gracie.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM

I'm also a compulsive person. I believe "too son" is in another state. However, in answer to what I believe your question is . . . . I arrived in TV for the first time and bought a new house in 24 hours. Sometimes compulsion is a good thing.

Last edited by dfn8tly; 04-24-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Punctuation eror
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.