trash pick-up confusion

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage
Default trash pick-up confusion

We'll close on a new home May 10th and after reading all the literature given me I'm unclear about trash pick-up. From what I've read, there are no garbage cans, only bags to be put out to be picked up. Does anyone have problems with animals tearing into the bags and making a mess? After moving in we will have a large number of boxes. How do we get rid of them? In some places there is a large trash pick-up usually once a month or so that will allow you to get rid of almost anything. Will we have such a thing here?
I'd appreciate a complete run-down of what the rules are. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Sage

I found it difficult to think about trash pick up without trash cans, but it actually turns out to be a nice thing. First of all, many don't have room for trash cans, secondly, trash is picked up two times each week, so unless you're a pretty messy person, you will probably only put out one bag for each pick up.

We had a feral cat in our neighborhood and it did get into the trash bags. Solved that by putting out the bags on the morning of pickup instead of the night before. Other neighbors have sprinkled ammonia or sprayed their trash with Lysol spray and that seemed to keep critters away from the trash. Honestly, no beastie has been in our trash in quite a while.

When we moved in, we just put our flattened boxes out tied together and the trash people took them. That was before there was recycling pickup. You can always break them down and put them out with the recyclables on the day those are picked up...or you can give them away. Every once in a while someone needs moving boxes.

I've seen old BBQ's out for pick up when I'm out and after trash pick up, they're gone so I've assumed that the items were picked up. You can always call the utilities company and ask. There doesn't seem to be that once a month pick up you're familiar with, here. There is hazardous waste drop off once a year. One year it's in Wildwood, the next year it's in Bushnell. If there are places to take things in between, I'm not familiar with them.

Here's the number for North Sumter Utility Company....(352)750-0000.

Congratulations on your new home and Welcome to The Villages!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

When you close you will be given the schedule of days your trash will be picked up. Mine is Tues & Fri in Duval. Also recycleable stuff Fri (it must be in a clear plastic bag) and yard waste is Wed. Yours may be different. When we moved in we were told break the boxes down and put them at the curb. As for other trash put it in a plastic bag and put it at the curb. We had a huge pile of trash and boxes when we moved in and it was gone the morning after. If there is a problem with animals we have not seen it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Sage

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to not to have garbage cans as they take up a lot of space. If I have problems I'll remember to spray the bags. Where I live now in S. Florida we have racoons that look forward to garbage days.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Where I lived we had bears who could not wait for garbage collection day.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Eternal Member

We keep our plastic garbage bag inside of a large plastic garbage can in the garage and fill it as we go. It just seems easier to control that way. We have never had a problem with rodents or bugs but we feel that the garbage can will deter any attempts to get at the stuff in the garage. On the night before pickup, we take it out and put the bag on the curb. If you wait until the morning you might just miss the garage truck. Ours used to come around 9 AM and we dragged the bags out in the morning. Suddenly they started showing up as early as 5:30 AM and if we got the bag out late we had to wait until the next pickup.

Now the pickup is usually by 6 AM with the recyclables by 7 AM.

It probably varies by area but don't get complacent.

And yes a few times I had the bag torn into and had to pick up the stuff in the yard and put it in another bad. I sprayed the bag with Raid but it was not a big problem. I think it was the cats and dogs that managed to get loose and were hungry.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
We'll close on a new home May 10th and after reading all the literature given me I'm unclear about trash pick-up. From what I've read, there are no garbage cans, only bags to be put out to be picked up. Does anyone have problems with animals tearing into the bags and making a mess? After moving in we will have a large number of boxes. How do we get rid of them? In some places there is a large trash pick-up usually once a month or so that will allow you to get rid of almost anything. Will we have such a thing here?
I'd appreciate a complete run-down of what the rules are. Thanks.
Don't worry, we have been 10 years using trash bags, have never had a problem. Just put your moving box's out on trash day. The guy's pick up everything, TV grills, etc
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Sage

Does anyone know if there is yard waste pickup this time of year?

I googled and googled but I can't find a Sumter County waste schedule.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Barefoot, Wednesday lawn pickups are year round.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Does anyone know if there is yard waste pickup this time of year?

I googled and googled but I can't find a Sumter County waste schedule.
Here in Caroline village, we have greens pickup on Wednesday. Plant clippings, palm fronds, etc. Greens are placed in large "greens" paper bags one can buy at the hardware stores, Walmart, probably the grocery store, etc. Palm fronds can be just stacked near the end of the driveway and they'll be picked up as long as they aren't too long. Long fronds just need to be cut to shorter lengths.

Is this the type of pickup you're thinking about?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

palm fronds need to be cut up in 4 foot lengths.......and away they go !!!

fumar

Cat trouble ????? SPRAY BAGS WITH AMMONIA ....
Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Barefoot, Wednesday lawn pickups are year round.
Thanks Dee. I thought that perhaps they eliminated lawn pickups when the freezing weather kicks in. Year round is exactly what I wanted to know. I was just thinking the other day that you are a great source of reliable information.

Fumar, why the heck would cats want your palm fronds? Do you have cats confused with panda bears?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Default post your boxes on totv

we offered our boxes and bins for free on totv after we moved in and they all magically disappeared
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Cat trouble ????? SPRAY BAGS WITH AMMONIA ....
I'll bet that would burn like the dickens.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 PM

When we purchased our turnkey house in March we had a number of pieces of furniture we didn't want. We called the trash services for bulk pickup and they asked if I could have it on the curb within an hour!! Sure enough they came by right away and took it all!! We did the same thing later the same week with the pickup again being very prompt. No charge, either! Can't beat that! Very impressive.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.