Trash Service Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2021, 08:45 AM
Default Trash

We recently moved here in March. And did some remolding. What I have learned is they will pick up just about anything with some simple rules to follow. Nothing over 40 lbs, nothing over 4’ in length. No mirrors and no fiberglass. We put out all our moving boxes and all went. But try to not make your garbage pills to large. Break it up over a few days if you have a lot. And if you have larger items you can call for a bulk pickup and it’s usually just a $10 fee
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
As a non villager I find your trash service really ridiculous. Just down the road in my community we have one can for trash one smaller can for recyclables, or you can use a yellow bucket provided also for recyclables, the trucks that are used have mechanical arm is that will pick up the cans and dump them into the trucks. The only request they have is to cut up cardboard boxes and flatten them out if it's more than one or two
WE Don’t Care What They Do Where You Come From
Old 12-14-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
The system is one of the most ridiculous things about ”the bubble”. Putting a plastic garbage bag on your driveway where critters can get at it it’s just plain stupid. I would put it out in the morning to avoid them.
When we first moved here I was skeptical of the "No can" system. Now I love it. With twice a week pick up there would be trash cans at the curb everyday. Some people would forget to bring them in. People that work wouldn't get them until the evening. The wind would blow them into the street and they'd get run over and dragged down the road. Nope. I love how clean our neighborhood looks without trash cans as yard ornaments.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzgb1 View Post
We recently moved here in March. And did some remolding. What I have learned is they will pick up just about anything with some simple rules to follow. Nothing over 40 lbs, nothing over 4’ in length. No mirrors and no fiberglass. We put out all our moving boxes and all went. But try to not make your garbage pills to large. Break it up over a few days if you have a lot. And if you have larger items you can call for a bulk pickup and it’s usually just a $10 fee
I probably missed it but, I could not find the "no fiberglass" in any of the information. I did see broken glass should be wrapped in newspaper and placed so as not to be dangerous. This should apply to mirrors as well.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:00 AM

We bought into TV earlier this year and are part timers (for the time being that is). At first I scratched my head over the "No Can" policy but have gotten used to it. Still, some things seem to be more suited to using a can but I'm OK with the bagging so far. My question is: What is the best way to deal with bagged trash when we are planning to leave and trash pick-up day is several days away? Is there someplace nearby where we can deposit a bag as we are heading out ??? If you ask what we've done the few times we've left I won't tell you. So don't ask. Since we're retired and very flexible with our travels we can often schedule our departure to coincide with the pick-up but not always so it's only come up a couple of times.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarlys View Post
We bought into TV earlier this year and are part timers (for the time being that is). At first I scratched my head over the "No Can" policy but have gotten used to it. Still, some things seem to be more suited to using a can but I'm OK with the bagging so far. My question is: What is the best way to deal with bagged trash when we are planning to leave and trash pick-up day is several days away? Is there someplace nearby where we can deposit a bag as we are heading out ??? If you ask what we've done the few times we've left I won't tell you. So don't ask. Since we're retired and very flexible with our travels we can often schedule our departure to coincide with the pick-up but not always so it's only come up a couple of times.
We have several neighbors that are part time. I have the code for their garage and take their trash out if they leave in the middle of the pickup days. Do you know your neighbors well enough to ask them to do this for you?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Why do some people feel the need to be so sarcastic toward someone just seeking information? Unreal and quite pathetic.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No trash cans. You need to use plastic bags only. Pick up is 2 times per week. You may need to schedule pick up of large items in advance.
When we got here we didn't know that you are not supposed to use cans. So we've been putting a plastic can out forever and never had a problem, to this day. Even being out there when the trash is picked up and saying hi to the guys nothing has eve been mentioned

Ok so how do keep the trash from stinking up the garage and preventing critters from getting in there.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
When we got here we didn't know that you are not supposed to use cans. So we've been putting a plastic can out forever and never had a problem, to this day. Even being out there when the trash is picked up and saying hi to the guys nothing has eve been mentioned

Ok so how do keep the trash from stinking up the garage and preventing critters from getting in there.
trash can in garage with bag inserted..............
Old 12-14-2021, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Never had a problem with animals getting into the trash we put out.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=jimdecastro;2039433]The system is one of the most ridiculous things about ”the bubble”. Putting a plastic garbage bag on your driveway where critters can get at it it’s just plain stupid. I would put it out in the morning to avoid them.[/QUOTE

Never had a problem with animals getting into the trash we put out.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:12 PM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Trash Pickup Cason Hammock

Each village may have different days for trash pick up. St Catherine's is Mon & Thurs & no trash cans are used. Just plastic bags or boxes. It's true, that large trash items need to be scheduled, but we found that our moving boxes and wardrobes were picked up when our street of houses moved in. Make sure to break down the boxes & reduce the number for trash pick up. They come early on our street, b/w 0800 and 0815, so putting out the trash the night before is a must. Covenants say, put out after 8pm.
Welcome to the Villages......twice a week trash pick up is such a blessing for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleball! View Post
I just bought a house in Cason Hammock and will be moving at the end of January.

How does the trash service work in TV? Do you get a can or need to purchase one? How often is the pick up? How much can you put out? What if I have a lot due to construction?

I am planning on pulling up some carpet, not sure what to do with the remodel debris? Thanks
Old 12-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
As a non villager I find your trash service really ridiculous. Just down the road in my community we have one can for trash one smaller can for recyclables, or you can use a yellow bucket provided also for recyclables, the trucks that are used have mechanical arm is that will pick up the cans and dump them into the trucks. The only request they have is to cut up cardboard boxes and flatten them out if it's more than one or two
Now why would we go to all that trouble?

We have a similar service up north and I find the TV service to be exemplary. EVERYTHING is recycled as energy. All things are just different forms of energy. The other recycling programs are quite primitive compared to the one used in TV.

As for not using cans. What a terrific idea. Cans make noise, cans smell, talk about inviting creatures to your home! Cans blow away in the wind, cans take time for garbage collectors. What we have instead are bags. Everyone has garbage disposal so there is almost no food that goes into the bags. The ones hubby buys for us, smell wonderful, lavender or something. Critters and insects dislike it. We can put everything pretty well in the bags.

The garbage collectors come pick up and are gone in seconds flat. No one else has better service anywhere that I know of, unless it is your maid taking the garbage with her.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjchandler1211 View Post
Why do some people feel the need to be so sarcastic toward someone just seeking information? Unreal and quite pathetic.
I agree with you completely. I remember when i first got here about 4 yrs ago and I wrote something on this site about golfing.. That post was murdered by mostly posters that have 1000s of posts. What a rude awakening.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
The system is one of the most ridiculous things about ”the bubble”. Putting a plastic garbage bag on your driveway where critters can get at it it’s just plain stupid. I would put it out in the morning to avoid them.
Re: animals attacking your trash.
Try putting a cap full of ammonia into the bag. One or two mothballs also work.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, trash, debris, remodel, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.