TV or not?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Default TV or not?

In this case it's television. We have been residents for almost three months out of 7. Television does not seem as important as it was before we moved. I have reviewed the tv options, (dish, and cable) and wonder what reception is like in the villages using rabbit ears, or other inside antennas. Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Veteran member

TV Antennas are not very useful in TV. We are far enough away from Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, and Gainesville/Ocala that large antennas would be required. Talk to Comcast about their part time resident package. I think they offer a nominal charge during periods of your absence.
Handie
Old 12-19-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I was surprised how many channels we can get in Hampton Va, and thought it might be worth it to try it in the Villages. Here's for taking up less room.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,668 Times in 596 Posts

we bought Comcast very basic cable for about $13/month - some 15 channels.
When we brought in the TV, we found we also get about 15-20 more over the air channels - that's plenty.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Sage

Good point JohnN....if you have a newer flat screen TV and it has a built-in QAM tuner, it can pick up a number of split channels on the coax cable coming out of the wall...and many of these are in HD. Vizio, Samsung, some Sony and probably other brands have the QAM.

Example, channel 9 is the ABC affiliate... a QAM enabled TV will pick up 9-1 which is the same channel in HD and 9-2 which is their continuous weather update channel.

I have the extended basic with comcast so I don't know exactly what extra channels you would pick up with the limited basic, but, $13/month is pretty inexpensive for TV service.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Like Handie stated the tv antennas are not very useful here in TV. If you drive around outside TV you will notice homes that are not bound by deed restrictions and that have outdoor tv antennas. You will find almost all are mounted on 30 or 40 foot towers and have a large number of elements.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Default Comcast Seasonal Suspend

I just called Comcast (Indiana) and we get a "seasonal suspend" where they drop back the cost to $7/month while you are away. We'll be using that again this year come next month when we head to The Villages.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.