Two story homes?

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

There are plenty of mcmansions in the villages with three and four car garages and the ceiling height is tremendous so don't tell me it'll look out of place. In particular I know people that have built second stories over their garages for their hobby rooms. I bet there were a few elevators installed as well!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Younger gens are moving to TV, not everyone is my parents age, (76). But they live in 2 story, and love it. Living areas downstairs, bedrooms upstairs. Great grandma lived up stairs @ 96, wouldn’t have it any other way.

Apparently not everyone in TV has issues with climbing stairs, no matter what age they are

Last edited by thelegges; 05-18-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:44 AM

There are a couple on TDS Golf Course that have been there for many years - there's also one high up on a hill on the left of a hole on the Amelia 9 of Mallory GC. I have a 2 storey home in the UK which I really want to get rid of having experienced single level living at my home in the USA.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:14 AM

We have a home in Bridgeport at Lake Sumter that added an upstairs level to the home.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I watched my mom, who died at 98, and my aging will be no different. Stairs had become a problem for her, so have decided to forego the wait and see and deal with the reality. Do not want to make the decision to “have” to move later and took to resolve the issue while I could. No more steps for me, except at the gym, of course.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:45 AM

The one in Rio grande is not on a golf course
Old 05-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Default Designer with room above

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
There is a model in the Premier group and there used to a model in the designer that had a second floor.
You are correct. We looked at the Designer Model (I think began with a B) and it had one room on the second floor or I should say above the living space. There is also one of these homes on my street and to look at it from the street it most certainly does not look out of place.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

My getaway home in New Mexico which I have had for 31 years is a two storey townhome. When I go over there it takes me a few days to adjust to going up and down the stairs. Coming down is more difficult than going up especially as the tread depth is pretty short. The railing is thankfully sturdy and well-placed. I can see the day coming where negotiating stairs may become too difficult. I definitely would not build a two storey house in which to reside anymore.

Anyone else recall this song? George Jones & Tammy Wynette - Two Story House - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-18-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
My getaway home in New Mexico which I have had for 31 years is a two storey townhome. When I go over there it takes me a few days to adjust to going up and down the stairs. Coming down is more difficult than going up especially as the tread depth is pretty short. The railing is thankfully sturdy and well-placed. I can see the day coming where negotiating stairs may become too difficult. I definitely would not build a two storey house in which to reside anymore.

Anyone else recall this song? George Jones & Tammy Wynette - Two Story House - YouTube
Our getaway home is also two storey. It takes a few days to get the soreness out of the thighs, but I find that it actually helps my back problem (sciatica) to be going up and down stairs. We never had a one-storey home until moving to TV, and that's when the back problems started.

We too have a very sturdy railing on the stairs. My only problem is I wish we could shoe-horn a powder room on the main floor!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

My single family home in Boston has 3 floors, 8 concrete steps to front door, then 48 steps to top floor which is my bedroom, I never watch tv in bed only on first floor I’m up and down stairs a lot , at 82 I’m very fit but I would never want to give up those stairs , I’ll be seeing them soon for summer after not going home during the past year
Old 05-19-2021, 12:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeGeek View Post
Just curious....I’ve seen a model with an upstairs bonus room but that’s it. Can you customize and add a second story or have a two story vaulted ceilings? Or if buying an existing home, could you renovate and add a second story?
Look in the Village of Harmswood
Closed Thread

Tags
story, add, vaulted, ceilings, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.