"UHaul" type truck air conditioned storage

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Default "UHaul" type truck air conditioned storage

Everybody sing!!! "She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes...she'll be bringing a 17ft cargo truck when she comes...and she's wondering what to do, oh she's wondering what to do-oo, oh she's wondering what to do with all the humidity and her stuff!"
Gee, that was fun. The plan today is to drive down with what we want to bring. We had hoped to limit ourselves to a 6x12 trailer but the king sized bed and a few too many artilces are preventing that, so it looks like we have to do a 17ft cargo truck. There is one on Craigs List in Denver, we plan to purchase that and drive it down and once settled, resell. The issue is what to do in the interrim? We have a 3 month rental until we find just the exact perfect CYV for us and Kodiak. Today's question is: Are there climate controlled RV storage units, or do the RVs sit outside all the time? I'd think the heat and humidity wouldn't be a good thing either on my personal belongings or on someone's trailer. Do they drive into a garage type thing? Your words of wisdom are appreciated. Can't wait to see you all, gee, next month!!! Yikes! That came about quick!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Congratulations and welcome. I don't know the answer to your problem, but why couldn't you unpack it and take it into your rental? There is a service of people who carry things in for you and they charge 50 dollars an hour.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

By the time you buy the truck, register and insure it, then sell it, it is cheaper to rent one. If you keep going to the various sites and and renting one, U-haul, Penske, Budget, and keep going back the price keeps changing. Just finalize when the price is the lowest. I rented a 17 foot twice, packed to top both times, rent started at $987, but by the time I finished it was $490. They keep modifying the price almost daily depending on where they have excess trucks.

As to storage, your stuff should be OK for a few months in the garage of the rental unit. I have a rental house and someone rented it July 2009 to September while there home was being built and they stored all their furniture in my garage with no issues. Some things like books and bedding you may want to move inside, but furniture should be fine for a couple months.

Then just do a local rental to move it again. Those are really cheap. $30 a day plus mileage so probably under a $100.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned
Default All the RV storage

sites are out in the open. we had an RV down here for about two years. we used it about four to five months every year and the weather/heat really did no harm. A few months would not be an issue as long as your truck did not have any water leaks.
Earlier advise is very good. We had a neighbor hood rental that a couple rented last year for three months while their house was being built. They loaded up the garage with items they purchased locally.
You may want to rethink what you haul to Florida and leave or sell some back in Colorado. That may significantly reduce your moving costs.
Consignment shops here are plentiful and actually have some very good stuff. This is a very fluid community with people moving in and out and they have lots of furniture to deal with therefore the consignment shops have almost new stuff. And you may find your Colorado furniture less than desirable in Florida.
Just some things to think about.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Dan was awake at 1am thinking about all this. I guess if I know that, I was awake, too! See you soon!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
Thank you all for your comments. Dan was awake at 1am thinking about all this. I guess if I know that, I was awake, too! See you soon!
Here is a warm hug. It is always stressful deciding what to take and how to get it here...safely. They are things someone will say, but they are OUR things and they make us feel at home and comfortable.

Good luck. There will be some coffee and sweet rolls in my kitchen when you can catch a breath.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran member
Smile

We rented a 26 foot from Budget and drove it from MD to the Villages. Had help from our agent getting 2 men to unload it into a rental's garage where it stayed for 2 months. Then rented a smaller truck to carry the large items and some of the boxes to our home in Duval Moved the rest in the car. Moved in over a few days because we were getting thing organized as we went. I think the insurance on the truck was as much as the rental. My insurance would not cover the gross weight of the truck. A smaller truck might be covered on your auto policy. Check with your agent. I filled the tank twice and the top speed of the truck was 60 mph, Ryders go faster. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We found out the hard way that some of our EXCELLENT and EXPENSIVE furniture is not worth much here near TV. That's because so many people bring too much furniture and other stuff and the consignment shops buy it for next to nothing. We ended up donating our fabulous furniture so we could take the tax deduction.

If we had a chance for a "do-over" we would have sold almost everything before we left town.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.