Use of neighorhood and Family Pools

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Default Use of neighorhood and Family Pools

Please advise. Does anyone know if contractors ie; Lawn service people, Vendors, contractors working in the Villages have acess to the use of the facilities at the Neighborhood and or Familty pools. By use of I refer to use of the restrooms, shower, having lunch, etc. I have oberseved this practice at many of the pools and now have had to go to the expenses of having to purchase a priorty pool memebership to feel
save using the facitiies that I thought I had paid for when I purchased my home , the bond, and continue to pay for with the monthly fees. Any hek lp would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Use of neighorhood and Family Pools

I do understand your problem but, given the alternatives, what are these workers supposed to do? I'm lucky -- I'm white, female and look relatively harmless. So, if I'm weeding someone's home and have to use the bathroom, I can easily ask the homeowner or a neighbor and know that the answer will be yes (although I would be very reluctant to ask given I'm sweaty, full of grass and not my cleanest). Most outdoor workers aren't that fortunate.

So, unless they're in an area that is close to things like gas stations, what are they supposed to do? I'd certainly be upset if they used my backyard as a toilet. I'm sure others would be, too. They do have a right to eat even though I'm sure they could find a spot under a tree around where they are working. Of course, that again goes back to the question of where can they use a bathroom after they eat? It seems that using the shower is a bit much and something should definitely be done about that.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Sage

In agreement with Red.

They have showers at the pools?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Eternal Member

I'm an older guy who believes in the 3 important things Jack Nicholson mentions in "The Bucket List", one of which was "Never pass up a bathroom". I like that when I go for long walks there is always someplace nearby to go. I'd never begrudge anyone use of the facilities - better there than on the hedges.
That said, I've never seen anyone but residents heading off to the water closet at the pool near me, and never seen anyone but those same folks using the seats and tables.
Is this really a prevalent problem? Are you being overly concerned? I've never felt threatened in anyway by the folks working around TV. They pretty much seem as friendly as everyone else and I don't feel too uncomfortable around them (but as a rule they do tend to drive a little faster). Maybe I'm the one interpreting the situation wrongly. Is this really a problem?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Just for curiosity sake what pools are you referencing? I have yet to see this happening at my neighborhood pool.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Sage

Our neighborhood adult pool is on a busy stretch of Canal St...yes, I have seen various workers stop and use the bathroom facilities. Personally, I don't have any issue with that. I have never seen them in the pool area using the (outside - Russ) shower, tables/chairs, or pool itself.

If they hung out inside the pool area, they would be subject to ID challenge by the village watch (or Rec dept???).

To me, this is not an issue in my area.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Send a message via AIM to pwdasher

I have seen workers use the restrooms and water fountians at the Odell pool, but I REALLY don't have any problem with it. They do their thing and are gone. No biggy. Better than the hedges, I agree..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it. What does it have to do with safety?
New Jersey
Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Wait a minute...I thought we had equality here in the United States of America. It's long been against the law to separate bathroom privileges, drinking fountains, restaurants, and all other places from anyone.

Perhaps the workers don't have Village ID cards, but if it were you working outdoors all day in this heat and humidity, where would you suggest we Villages allow you to relieve yourself or get some water? Would you rather they expose themselves and go in the bushes?

jf...your comments take me back to the time when blacks couldn't use white's bathrooms or drink out of the same water fountain or eat at the same diner counter and couldn't attend the same schools. So what if they are workers (some black and some not)...same concept applies. When ya gotta go ya gotta go. If you don't like it, what's your recommendation? Can you even begin to put yourself in their position?

And...you felt you had to purchase a Priority Membership to feel safe? Are you saying you don't feel safe here in The Villages? Or is it deeper than that!

I need to apologize now because you have hit a very sore spot with me. I am a firm believer in equal rights regardless of race, gender, religion, or being a Villagers worker!

Shame on you!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Why would people who cut the grass and build houses make anyone feel unsafe?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Sage

Being from up North, my parents and I traveled through the South to go to Miami one year. I remember stopping at a gas station and seeing two water fountains. One said "white" and one said "colored" I thought (being a kid) that colored water would come out so I used that one. (You never saw this up north.) I remember a very testy old man coming out of the station and yelling at my parents and me "that they should know better that to let me drink out of that." Needless to say my parents weren't bigots. My father told the man to "mind his own business". Then he proceeded to explain to me, while we were driving, what a "colored" water fountain really meant. My father said "Never, never put those thoughts in your head. People are people, we're all equal and we're all the same."

I find this "fear for your safety" on the same level. Shame on you.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Gold member

Hi, Everyone! First time post here and what a strange thread in which to start... but another perspective. My husband and I were fortunate to spend a couple of weeks in the first part of May at our villa and while my husband was golfing I went to the pool at Hemingway. I have been to pools before where work people are going in and out all the time using the facilities and never thought much of that fact. We're human!! But while at the Hemingway one afternoon, there were no other people there, a workman came in and stayed in the men's bathroom between 12-15 minutes. I got a little nervous toward the end wondering what the heck he was doing in there all that time. I stayed at the far end of the pool and he eventually left. Harmless I guess but I wondered if he was ill or what was the issue. I left right after he did and I did wonder why facilities aren't offered to these workmen so they don't have to be the objects of public scrutiny when they want to use restrooms. (And I don't want to be thinking about what he was doing in there all that time, lol.)

I truly enjoy the TOTV and I'm sure in time, will share much more information and some opinions. From my laptop viewpoint, I've enjoyed many thoughtful responses and common sense perspectives from so many of you.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Peachie

Giving benefit to the doubt...have you never had a "tummy" problem? Well, I have and have spent more time than I want to admit in a bathroom.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Veteran member

Agreeing with Red!

Peachie..... if I were the only female at the pool during the scenerio you described, I might stay alert, as you did..... but I agree with bright, and perhaps he was just taking a break out of the hot sun and found a quiet place in the restroom ? :

It always pays to be cautious and aware of your surroundings but TV appears to be a safe-haven, from everything I read on TOTV :dontknow:

Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Gold member

Bright and CIB, I agree and did suggest the young man may have had a problem... I should have given a little clearer scenerio. It was about 4:00 PM in May of this year and the homes around the Hemingway pool were new, unoccupied, and there were no homes built across the street with very little traffic in the area. I didn't think it was unusual that he needed to use the bathroom, the length of time and the situation gave me pause at that moment. He was fine, I am fine and I realize I should use pools with people and occupied homes in the immediate vicinity.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.