Village GPS app vs Villages app for cart navigation, or a better alternative

Old 02-08-2024, 04:15 PM
Default Village GPS app vs Villages app for cart navigation, or a better alternative

My wife and I rented a cart last week to explore different neighborhoods in the Villages and used the golf cart navigation feature in the free Villages app. It was a little klunky but functional. I never complain about free apps because they take a lot of time to write, I know from experience.

I am contemplating paying for the Village GPS app ($6.99) for our visit this weekend if it is better. Are there are other better ways to navigate the cart paths through the villages? I have already noticed some common pathways north and south so won't be an issue long term.

I kind of want to know where I am and what village we are in, or nearby as we explore. This post is not about saving $6.99, which is very reasonable. I just want understand what is the best way to navigate the cart paths for newbies.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This chat forum is AWESOME!!! It really is a treasure. I have learned so much from it.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:18 PM

$6.99 for a years worth, or only one weekend, seems like a deal to me.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

The Villages App has worked best for us.

The other app can be little buggy and occasionally locks up when we use it
Old 02-09-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post

We have used both apps on both of our phones for the 7 months we've lived here. BOTH apps on both phones stop 'talking' after a couple of minutes, requiring we hit 'Stop', then 'Start' again. The blue line still shows up but frequently glare prevents us from seeing the screen. We have the latest Android phones. Is there anyone else here whose apps stop talking every time after a couple of minutes?
Old 02-09-2024, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We have used both apps on both of our phones for the 7 months we've lived here. BOTH apps on both phones stop 'talking' after a couple of minutes, requiring we hit 'Stop', then 'Start' again. The blue line still shows up but frequently glare prevents us from seeing the screen. We have the latest Android phones. Is there anyone else here whose apps stop talking every time after a couple of minutes?
I've been using the paid app (VillagesGPS) ever since it was released. I have the tested the free Villages app, but find it inferior in graphic display, and routing. It works, but it's a bare bones app.

VillagesGPS voice guidance has never stopped working on my phone (latest Google android phone). The only issues I have experienced is when their server was hacked on two separate occasions, and the app didn't work a couple of days each time. Again, this happened twice in the past 8-10 years. During this time, I used the free app, but it's so clunky and poorly designed (I'm a retired IT professional and things like this really bug me ) that I returned to the paid app every time.

The price is ridiculously cheap - a paper map will cost you as much as the annual subscription - and the developer is constantly updating the app and adding new areas to it. They recently released a completely redesigned and rewritten app, and so far it's very solid.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have used only the free app, and the only problem i have noticed is it will NOT turn on location services when I bring up the app. Then it will not function correctly even if you turn on location services afterward, you need to completely get out of the app and restart. No problems with the voice commands, however, I keep the phone plugged in when using this app, I think I had problems years ago before I had the USB power port installed.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

The paid app is well worth the $6.99.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:19 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post

You get to pay $7 and have problems................pass.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:52 AM

The free app works fine and sometimes even better than the $6.99 version. Not a lot but save your money
Old 02-10-2024, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

I understand the novelty of driving a cart, however since you are new to the area, it might be best to get your bearings while driving a car first. It is much easier to find your way around...learn the different villages and where you are. Then, you can use the cart and not get lost.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
My wife and I rented a cart last week to explore different neighborhoods in the Villages and used the golf cart navigation feature in the free Villages app. It was a little klunky but functional. I never complain about free apps because they take a lot of time to write, I know from experience.

I am contemplating paying for the Village GPS app ($6.99) for our visit this weekend if it is better. Are there are other better ways to navigate the cart paths through the villages? I have already noticed some common pathways north and south so won't be an issue long term.

I kind of want to know where I am and what village we are in, or nearby as we explore. This post is not about saving $6.99, which is very reasonable. I just want understand what is the best way to navigate the cart paths for newbies.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This chat forum is AWESOME!!! It really is a treasure. I have learned so much from it.
We used the free app for several visits, until we finally decided to pay the $6.99 for the gps app. What a difference! Pay the $6.99, you will be relieved how much smoother the gps works
Old 02-10-2024, 06:42 AM
Smile Free or Paid Golf Cart NavApps

I use both apps. If one has a glitch, I use the other. However, I do prefer the paid version for its far better graphics.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:11 AM
Default google Maps

The other app I use sometimes is google Maps in the bicycle mode. This pretty much tracks the cart paths on and off the streets. The other benefit is that it is easy to navigate to commercial and residential locations.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
$6.99 for a years worth, or only one weekend, seems like a deal to me.
I also use the "pay to use app". But (if memory serves), the fee is a one time charge.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post

I have had better luck with the paid GPS app than the free app. It’s worth the $7. At least then you’ll have both if one isn’t working properly.

Tags
cart, villages, app, village, $6.99

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.