Village GPS app vs Villages app for cart navigation, or a better alternative

Old 02-10-2024, 07:46 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

You can use Google Maps and put it on bicycle it'll take you on the cart pass
Old 02-10-2024, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousel View Post
I also use the "pay to use app". But (if memory serves), the fee is a one time charge.
It used to be a one time charge - the new version has an annual fee of $6.99. If you already owned the app prior to the price change, then you are grandfathered in.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:58 AM

On our iPhones we have found the paid Villages GPS app to be much better and far more reliable than the free app. We’ve seen directions on the free app down here south of 44 that are years behind in their cart path routing. We recently had to help newbies find their way back to their village when the free app had routed them at least a half hour in the wrong direction because it was ignoring the Water Lily bridge. Crazy!
Old 02-10-2024, 08:20 AM

We have used the paid app and the free app. I prefer the paid app while my wife likes to use the Google maps bicycle version.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:30 AM

I consider myself to have pretty good navigation skills. I have used both apps for navigation the first couple of weeks here and both work ok. I have found the best thing to do to learn how to get around is to get around. I have used my golf cart as much as possible. I’ve been from Dabney to Mulberry Grove and the Historical District and to Walmart on 441. If I need to go to an address or place I haven’t been to, I look it up on Google Maps and relate it to the nearest place I know and go. At about 20 mph or so, you get to enjoy all the beautiful sights, scents, places and people! More so than driving a car! I’m retired, I have six Saturdays and a Sunday! Carpe Diem!!!
Old 02-10-2024, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

One of the minor annoyances in the paid app used to be the estimated times it would show to reach a destination. It was not a big deal, but you had to know it wasn't going to take 45 minutes to get to that golf course 9 miles away. But...in one of the more recent updates, this algorithm has been changed/improved. The time estimates are now much more accurate, and appear to be based on a speed of about 16mph, which is a reasonable overall speed for travel by golf cart.

Also, another benefit in the paid app is that you can share it with family members at no additional cost. By enabling the Family Sharing option in Google, your spouse or other members of your Family group can get the app on their device at no charge. While I purchased the app several years ago at the one-time fee, and am grandfathered in, even having to pay $7 a year is a bargain...especially since you can share it with others in your group.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:57 AM
Default free

use google map tell it you are a bicycle works good above hwy 44 maybe not as well below but I use it when unsure going to magnolia plaza
Old 02-10-2024, 08:59 AM
Default Villages nav app

I used the free app and I have found the same.
The app actually freezes in the spot it stopped talking. I found that you can't toggle away from the screen at all our it will do that and you have to press stop and start again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We have used both apps on both of our phones for the 7 months we've lived here. BOTH apps on both phones stop 'talking' after a couple of minutes, requiring we hit 'Stop', then 'Start' again. The blue line still shows up but frequently glare prevents us from seeing the screen. We have the latest Android phones. Is there anyone else here whose apps stop talking every time after a couple of minutes?
Old 02-10-2024, 09:00 AM

Just allow 3.75 minutes per mile, very good ballpark.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:05 AM

I’ve used the $6.99 app for years and no issues. Plus, it is more than gps as it incorporates clubs, direct info on locations and you can toggle to car or cart. Well worth the small fee.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:13 AM

Moved here last August and have been using the paid GPS App for golf cart navigation. Don’t know how newbies get around without it! We’ve used it on 2 iPhones without any issues. The $6.99 is a one-time fee, not an annual subscription. Well worth it.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I understand the novelty of driving a cart, however since you are new to the area, it might be best to get your bearings while driving a car first. It is much easier to find your way around...learn the different villages and where you are. Then, you can use the cart and not get lost.
Driving to a particular location in a car and golf cart are usually very much different routes.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:23 AM

I bought the $6.99 app but it stopped functioning when I upgraded my phone. The free app is fine for the rare occasion when I need it.
As you stated, you will not have a long term issue. One day it will all make sense and you'll know where you are.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousel View Post
I also use the "pay to use app". But (if memory serves), the fee is a one time charge.
One time fee for grandfathered users, any new users will pay a yearly fee.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:22 PM
Default Buy the Village GPS app. It is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
My wife and I rented a cart last week to explore different neighborhoods in the Villages and used the golf cart navigation feature in the free Villages app. It was a little klunky but functional. I never complain about free apps because they take a lot of time to write, I know from experience.

I am contemplating paying for the Village GPS app ($6.99) for our visit this weekend if it is better. Are there are other better ways to navigate the cart paths through the villages? I have already noticed some common pathways north and south so won't be an issue long term.

I kind of want to know where I am and what village we are in, or nearby as we explore. This post is not about saving $6.99, which is very reasonable. I just want understand what is the best way to navigate the cart paths for newbies.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This chat forum is AWESOME!!! It really is a treasure. I have learned so much from it.
Buy the Village GPS app.

Tags
cart, villages, app, village, $6.99

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.