Villages - buying north of 440

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum member

[quote=dillywho;299721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
There are a couple of things you can consider. On the older homes built before 2006, I think, they are not built to newer construction standards as regards hurricanes.
QUOTE]

I think someone may have given you some flawed information. We live north of 466 and our house was built to hurricane standards. I can't say when the changes came, but our house was completed in January, 2004 and they were in place then. We had the additional inspection the state offered done a couple of years ago (don't remember exactly when this was) and as a result, got a substantial reduction in our insurance. Several things go into this wind-whatever-it-is inspection such as the construction itself, the attic, the type roof (hip vs gable), etc. We've been here since Feb. 2004 and have had no issues except for the drywall residue in the kitchen plumbing which was resolved through the warranty department with no fuss whatsoever (cracking, siding, etc.).

Our home was built in 2000, we had the same inspection and passed with flying colors. Our insurance went down by 1/3.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Default Vote for south of 466

Back to the thread question...My vote is for south of 466 and here are our reasons..We like the larger ,newer cart paths on the south side. Because you spend a large amt of time on your golf cart, this helps a lot. Also, the golf cart tunnels are larger also. We also like being , what will soon be, in the middle . When Brownwood is finished, our area ( village of Amelia) will be in the middle with about equal north/south distances from SS and Brownwood. We do find that the crowds are a little bit younger at LSL versus SS which of course makes sense becasue the northern part is the most established. One thing I would do if we could have a "do-over" is to rent a few times in different areas first, to figure out exactly where we want to be. The Villagers I have spoken with that have moved a few times since becoming FT, have said they moved due to location. (wanted to be closer to where they seemed to spend most of their time. ex: swims laps for excercise so closer to a sport pool, likes the Odell pickleball league so wants to be closer to that court) ..Just some (hopefully) helpful things...
Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM

After my visit this past week, I've really come to like the layout of the "old" Villages - Spanish Springs area and points east and northeast. I've been a New Englander all my life and I just can't wrap around the idea of -not- having lots of mature shade trees around. So the oaks all over that area is particularly appealing to me. The newer section is gorgeous, but it's just too sparse and cookie-cutter for my taste.

My concern is about the manufactured homes, and this bond stuff. I understand there are bonds, amenities fees, and CDD fees, and they're all different from each other, serve different functions, and that the bonds get paid up after 30 years.

So if I were to buy a home that was built 10 years ago, does that mean I'll only have 20 years left to pay on the bond? And what are the average monthly bond fees, for people who still have to pay them? Also, I understand some people have paid their bonds off prior to the 30 year period. So I'm wondering, do you get the impression that if we were to buy 5 years from now (which is when we're likely to be fully retired and ready to make that move), there will be a significant increase in homes that have had the bonds already paid off in full?

As for the manufactured homes themselves, well - where I come from, that means "trailer park" and for the most part they're not all that stable and tend to be lower quality, and can blow over in a stiff wind. I am pretty sure that isn't the case for the ones in the Villages, but I'd love it if someone can address that concern.

Thanks! I know wherever we end up in the Villages, we'll have some awesome neighbors. Last week was filled with some pretty terrific people and you all made us feel very welcome, so thanks again!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Sage

Re: the bonds. You pretty much have to ask/check/verify what the outstanding bond amount is, property by property. The general suggestion from many folks is to not pay the bond off when you buy a home in TV - mindset being that you'll never realize that money when you would sell. If you know you're going to be there til they drag you out toes-up, then it might make sense to pay it off up front if you'd like. For some reason, prevailing mentality seems to be that many buyers don't bother to factor the outstanding bond amount into the purchase price of a home......which makes no sense to me. But that's just me! I view it as an outstanding obligation for the house - call it a bond or whatever you'd like. It's money you owe for the property. Regardless - - - to the original point, verify what the bond amount is.

Re: the manufactured homes. I don't know it to be fact personally but I've heard from several people that the cost of insurance will be higher for a manufactured home than for a site built home (of equal selling price/valuation), probably due to the fact that they would be more susceptible to damage in severe weather. Also - again, from what others have said - some insurance companies might not be willing to cover a manufactured home built prior to a specific year. Might be related to construction techniques, etc. from back when it was manufactured. Verify all this with your insurance agent.

Bill
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

IMO, one of the bigger differences between north or south of 466 is the number of rec centers and pools. There are approx 40 pools south of 466 and 15 pools north of 466....gn
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
IMO, one of the bigger differences between north or south of 466 is the number of rec centers and pools. There are approx 40 pools south of 466 and 15 pools north of 466....gn
Who knew? Soon as I need more than 15, I'm heading south!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM

It seems to me that proportionately, the spread is nearly even. Pool-space and rec-center-space per resident isn't that much different between north and south, if you consider there are more homes south than there are north. Also, the polo fields and Savannah are north of dead center, so people living north of 446 have the advantage over people living at the far south (such as Colony Center) when it comes to watching/playing in a Polo match or using the computer lab.

Also, thanks SO much for the tip on insurance for manufactured homes - it never even occurred to me to consider insurability and insurance costs. That definitely rules out a couple of neighborhoods I had for my first choice! It's okay though. Second choice is just as gorgeous. I just will have to accept that I won't be allowed to put a family of tacky pink flamingos on my front yard. Le sigh <sniff>
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks SO much for the tip about insurability in the mfg. homes vs. site-built. I never would've thought of that. As for the bonds, I'm not sure why the -sellers- don't include it in their selling price, or the listing itself doesn't include a caveat specifying the bond price, if any. I have to guess that the vast majority of buyers have never lived in a community that required bonds before, so some might not even know to ask about them.

It seems to me that proportionately, the spread is nearly even. Pool-space and rec-center-space per resident isn't that much different between north and south, if you consider there are more homes south than there are north. Also, the polo fields and Savannah are north of dead center, so people living north of 446 have the advantage over people living at the far south (such as Colony Center) when it comes to watching/playing in a Polo match or using the computer lab.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Sage

No problem, AnonChick.

The mindset on the bonds really does confound me. Like you said, many times it's just referenced that there is a bond but the amount is not stated. We've gone to several open houses for pre-owned homes in TV and have found that some agents will list the actual amount of the bond in the sales document(s) they hand out - that's nice! You'll be surprised how much the amounts will vary.

Hope you're able to find something you like, regardless of where it is in TV!!

Bill
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Anon, pool space/rec ctr space is TOTALLY different north vs south of 466, south of 466 closest rec ctr/pool is usually within a 1/2 mile at the most, north of 466 it could be several miles. I'm not aware of any neighborhoos rec ctenters north of 466, but there are about 10 of them south of 466. Look at the back of any rec center newspaper and you will see the difference......gn
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Who knew? Soon as I need more than 15, I'm heading south!
P, my treasure. I sense you feel about your lovely northern part of paradise the same way I feel about the age thing.

One age, part of TV is just as lovely as another age, part of TV.

We are gonna have to beat the crap outta someone P.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Anon, pool space/rec ctr space is TOTALLY different north vs south of 466, south of 466 closest rec ctr/pool is usually within a 1/2 mile at the most, north of 466 it could be several miles. I'm not aware of any neighborhoos rec ctenters north of 466, but there are about 10 of them south of 466. Look at the back of any rec center newspaper and you will see the difference......gn
I know that at the very least Chatham, Saddlebrook, Tierra del Sol, Chula Vista and El Santiago are all neighborhood rec centers. There may be more. And while they're not neighborhood rec centers, there's also Hacienda, Paradise and Mulberry. Plus, Savannah has been known to be used as a rec center for club meetings, classes, dances, etc. We also have country clubs -- some even right by or very near the rec centers. I doubt that anyone north of 466 has to go more than 2 miles to find a rec center.

And the reality is that most of the time you're traveling all over TV to get to the rec center holding your event or the pool holding your exercise class; there are only 5 sports pools, so, unless you live in the "right" village, you're going to be traveling to get to one regardless. (I play bridge at Laurel Manor -- 8 min cart right at most; Lake Miona -- 10 mins unless I get a TV rental cart in front of me; and Colony -- 25 mins.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Sage

GN is right about distance. I have 3 pools within easy walk (Pennecamp, Buttonwood and Fish-hawk family pool).

My nearest sport pool is Seabreaze about 1.25 miles.

But no matter where you are you'll have easy access to a pool.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Also, thanks SO much for the tip on insurance for manufactured homes - it never even occurred to me to consider insurability and insurance costs. That definitely rules out a couple of neighborhoods I had for my first choice! It's okay though. Second choice is just as gorgeous. I just will have to accept that I won't be allowed to put a family of tacky pink flamingos on my front yard. Le sigh <sniff>
If you have not checked this out with an insurance agent , I would not be too quick in ruling out anything.
BTW not just anyone can play polo.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM

I got lost enough in my week's visit last week, to be able to run my golf cart into the wall of just about every rec center and down the steps into every pool in the Villages. I can assure you there are plenty north of 466. However frustrating it may be to only -have- a week, and be instructed that it takes at -least- a month to learn your way around...and spend most of your travel time being lost...it was actually the absolute best way in the world to see all the neighborhoods.

Eventually I stopped trying to find the shorter route to Sumter Landing from St. Charles, and just took Bailey to Buena Vista and hung a right into the Square. But all that time trying to find Bonita, and going through Bailey til it changed its name, looking for Stillwater - was actually great for sightseeing.

I felt like SUCH a voyeur too - some of you have such nice pools in your screened lanais! It's because of people like me that I'd never want the back of my house facing open space, heh. Am I the only "finely aging brandy" in the world who prefers to enjoy lounging in her own home, sans the housecoat? I'd feel as though I had to be fully dressed with my face completely made up for the public, before I even opened the curtains for the day. To me, that isn't a retirement lifestyle choice. It's what you do when you have to be at work in 20 minutes.

Why is it, that the developers decided that senior citizens are not worthy of privacy? It's as though they said, "You can have privacy, but no yard. Or, you can have a yard, but no privacy. We'll toss you a bone and let you put up shrubs but if they're the wrong kind or the neighbors can't see your poker hand through the branches, you're SOL."

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.