Is Villages GPS App Accurate?

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2021, 07:36 PM

Villages GPS very good for cart directions and very conveniently organized, but for some reason off by almost double on times.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
Villages GPS very good for cart directions and very conveniently organized, but for some reason off by almost double on times.
I haven't seen it off by more than a few minutes, which was the result of someone going VERY slowly and a bunch of us all just trying to go close to 20mph behind the slow one (maybe going around 9mph? if that - daydreamer/sightseer or something). So it was a back-up of cart traffic for awhile, eventually the slow one turned off the path and we were able to get back to a normal speed again.

I go from Orange Blossom to Southern Trace a few times every month, to Colony once a month, and to Sumter several times every month. I even went to Rohan a couple of times, total. And I have never been able to go more than a few minutes faster than the GPS claimed it would take.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...I go from Orange Blossom to Southern Trace a few times every month, to Colony once a month, and to Sumter several times every month. I even went to Rohan a couple of times, total. And I have never been able to go more than a few minutes faster than the GPS claimed it would take.
I drive about 22-23 mph. Everywhere I go I get there in about half the time GPS predicts.

By the way, I like TV GPS for directions and other info. But estimates of travel time are not even close.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Because you can't legally cross 466 in a golf cart. The Google Maps bike directions from Clifford Ct, Fruitland Park, to Lake Sumter, has the bicycle crossing 466.
No, the Google Maps bike directions do NOT have bicycles crossing 466. As I wrote in my post, you can see that google maps has bicycles "crossing" 466A at the same MMP tunnel that golf carts use. Don't take my word for it, look it up for yourself and if yours shows something different, please post a picture.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-11-2021, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I drive about 22-23 mph. Everywhere I go I get there in about half the time GPS predicts.

By the way, I like TV GPS for directions and other info. But estimates of travel time are not even close.
Their estimates are based on the legal speed limit for golf carts on golf cart and MMP paths which is 19.x (I don't remember if it's 19.8 or 19.6 or whatever but it's above 19 and under 20). So of course you will get there quicker, you're speeding.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Their estimates are based on the legal speed limit for golf carts on golf cart and MMP paths which is 19.x (I don't remember if it's 19.8 or 19.6 or whatever but it's above 19 and under 20). So of course you will get there quicker, you're speeding.
LOL! I knew that was coming.

To get from my house to Lake Sumter Landing in the GPS estimated time, I would have to drive under 9 mph.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:01 AM
Default villages gps

The Villages GPS time to location is always greatly exaggerated. It is more effective to look at the miles, assume your driving speed (typically 20 mph), the result should be pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAndrews View Post
Currently house-hunting in TV and we are looking at villas close to Lake Sumter Landing or Brownwood Paddock.

We want to be "golf cart close" to one (or both) of these town squares, but The Villages GPS is giving what seems to be outrageously long golf cart times from the neighborhoods to the squares. For example, last month we were able to take a golf cart ride from Clifford Ct. to Lake Sumter Landing in about 25 minutes, yet Villages GPS is now saying that is a 39-minute trip. The cart was a rental and maxed out at 12 MPH. I don't understand! Is Villages GPS accurate?

Follow-up question. For anyone living in a centrally located neighborhood such as Duval, how long does it take you to drive your golf cart to Lake Sumter or to Brownwood Paddock? Would they both be comfortable rides from Duval? I really appreciate any advice you can offer!!
Old 03-12-2021, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Currently house-hunting in TV and we are looking at villas close to Lake Sumter Landing or Brownwood Paddock.

We want to be "golf cart close" to one (or both) of these town squares, but The Villages GPS is giving what seems to be outrageously long golf cart times from the neighborhoods to the squares. For example, last month we were able to take a golf cart ride from Clifford Ct. to Lake Sumter Landing in about 25 minutes, yet Villages GPS is now saying that is a 39-minute trip. The cart was a rental and maxed out at 12 MPH. I don't understand! Is Villages GPS accurate?

Follow-up question. For anyone living in a centrally located neighborhood such as Duval, how long does it take you to drive your golf cart to Lake Sumter or to Brownwood Paddock? Would they both be comfortable rides from Duval? I really appreciate any advice you can offer!!
We are in Pine Hills and on my 23mph maximum cart LSL and Brownwood are equidistant about 20 minutes
Old 03-12-2021, 07:00 AM

I have found the golf cart times to be consistently over stated. I reduce the app times by 40% to get more realistic times.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:03 AM
Default It crashes all the time

It crashes all the time
Old 03-12-2021, 07:06 AM

I just retested both apps on my phone.

I invested in the GPS Villages app - I have yet to successfully use this app - I am thinking it is because my address is not recognized. I am south of 44. I went on the app and entered ‘Starbucks’ - did not find Starbucks...... when I enter other desired locations - it tends to provide me options many, many miles away - no where near the Villages.

The app I have been using - w/ great success - !!!! Is the regular, old ‘The Villages’ app!!! I love it - esp. for golf cart directions!!! It recognizes me and my address (perfectly) - and when I type ‘Starbucks’ - it immediately pops ups with both - golf cart and car step-by-step directions!!! Yeah!!!
Old 03-12-2021, 07:23 AM

From Bonifay CC to Sumter Landing the Villages says 29 min you can easily make it in 20 min at 20-20.5 mph going up Morse.
To Brownwood says 18 min can drive it in 12 min
Old 03-12-2021, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

The times quoted are about 10 to 15 minutes too long. Not sure how they come up with them.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:57 AM

We use the app all the time. The estimated times it gives are always too long. It is usually off by at least 10 minutes, more if it is a long trip.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:57 AM
Default Hand Drawn Map of The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you want to be able to reach both LSL or Brownwood by golf cart within 20 minutes, look at villas no further north than Bonita and no further south than Hillsborough. Stay between those two. I'm off St. Charles just north of 466A and I can reach LSL in 18 minutes and Brownwood in about 20 minutes. Plan on the Village of Duval as ground Zero and work outward from there.

If you click on this map, I have it centered just about in that area.

Google Maps
Somewhere there’s a simple map of the villages from Spanish Springs to Brownwood with each village marked and labeled. Do you by chance have a link to that map so that it can be printed? Thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, villages, golf, gps, lake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.